Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No News Channel Viewing at ORD Admirals Club Bars

Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP 8MM, UA 1K 1MM, DL Gold 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum

I just learned from the bartenders at the H/K Admirals Club at O'Hare that they will no longer tune to the national news channels on the TVs at the AC bars, because of a recent fight or fights. They will show the local news, however, during the hours it's broadcast.

I was offered a cooking channel an alternative. ;-)

Viewers of the TVs away from the bars are allowed to watch CNN or Fox or MSNBC or even a cooking channel.

Last edited by B2707; Jan 16, 2019 at 10:08 am
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
I'd rather watch a cooking show than that smut on Fox/CNN/MSNBC. Give me that Barefoot Contessa.

I am glad they did this. I hope it takes off across the country.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Bar TVs should have sports, not news. Or ESPN commentary. That's just common sense. And I don't even watch TV.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Bring on Giada, Pioneer Woman, Trisha, Valerie, Worst Cooks in America etc - oh wait that's the Food Channel :/
AAEmpireState likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP 8MM, UA 1K 1MM, DL Gold 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Is it the rule/practice in Admirals Clubs other than Chicago?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
I'd be happy with no TVs at all ... Give everyone tablets and Bose headphones, but come collect the headphones 1 hour before their next flight departs.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Well this is refreshing news! That smut (hooray for our side / can you believe they said that? / etc) stresses me out and the airport is stressful enough. How about some travel shows?
SFO777, TSparky, AANYC1981 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Anything at a bar should always be sports.
DenverBrian and LAX_BillyJoe like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Anything at a bar should always be sports.
Right. Cause people never fight/argue over sports.

I swear every television in every doctor’s waiting room in Flagstaff is tuned to HGTV 24/7.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Bartender today referenced the same thing to another customer. They were very prompt in ensuring the local news was turned on once started.

Very odd to say the least. CLT always has CNN on one side and Fox on the other. Seems to keep everyone happy.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by kale73

Right. Cause people never fight/argue over sports.

I swear every television in every doctor’s waiting room in Flagstaff is tuned to HGTV 24/7.
I never said they didn’t. My comment had nothing to do with fights in mind at all. That being said, a fight over a sporting event will be done in a couple of minutes while a fight over something political is probably still going on.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
English football would be nice
Uncle Nonny likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by fotographer
English football would be nice
Or even some soccer.
jtav559 and fotographer like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
A long time ago, in a cultural value system long gone, my Father gave me advice on how to interact with strangers. He said, "Never discuss Politics, Sex, Religion or Money" with strangers, colleagues or casual acquaintances. I have found that wisdom to have kept me in great shape as I travel to visit Clients in markets as diverse as San Francisco, Fort Worth, Miami, Lafayette, Boston and so on.

I have been doing business for 20 years and even my long term Clients would be hard pressed to know who I voted for or what my stands are on the social issues of the day. It is a "Nunya" (a lovely Texas word that means "none of your business"). However, this "Nunya" goes BOTH ways (which is where we as a country are in trouble). It means it is none of THEIR business about what my voting record or opinions are and it is NONE of my business to LECTURE them and "educate" them.

I am a business person and my only job is to provide efficient, cost effective, timely and ethical business services to my Clients. I am not their Preacher, Social Guide, Cult Leader or Influencer. My job is to do what I have been hired to do and get along with people of all backgrounds and beliefs

This is where my Dad's advice helps. The only exception is the "money" aspect, because this is America after all, and people will discuss things about how expensive the new iPhone is, which athlete is getting paid how much. Even then, the way I apply my Dad's rule is to make sure that money talk never gets personal, e.g., how much do I make, how much do they make, how much did my watch cost, brand of the car I drive etc.

This is kinda how America used to be in the olden days. When you met people in a bar or a business environment, you ONLY talked about the weather or sports. I respectfully disagree with some of the posters that sports can cause fights. We are not very European in our love of sports. We will disagree loudly (feel free to listen in on Eagle fans talking to Cowboys fans), but fights about sports are something that are broadly rare in our country.

So, sports is a good way to have back and forth banters and light hearted "grief giving" (like when your team is really doing badly in the season...again the Cowboys.. ever since Troy Aikman left... well.. this season may be different)

Politics news channels ABSOLUTELY do not belong in a "public" environment. Absolutely not!! I am surprised anyone thought they make sense when they are GUARANTEED to offend anywhere from 47-53% of your customer base. Political shows should be listened to in your car or at home or on your web browser.

The right approach is to have Sports, Travel or even Cooking shows.

Just my 2 cents, but I will say this (as this topic absolutely struck a chord with me), that when I go to an Admirals Club, where ANY of these news channels are playing (including the ones that back my side), I simply WALK AWAY and sit somewhere far away.

Glad that this has happened in the ORD AAdmirals Club. Hopefully, this trend spreads nationwide and we can go back to NOT talking about politics in our daily business lives.

Warm Regards,

Panjabi
dcmike, BeanTownBoy, Gerbs and 4 others like this.

Last edited by panjabi; Jan 12, 2019 at 7:50 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Originally Posted by panjabi
A long time ago, in a cultural value system long gone, my Father gave me advice on how to interact with strangers. He said, "Never discuss Politics, Sex, Religion or Money" with strangers, colleagues or casual acquaintances. I have found that wisdom to have kept me in great shape as I travel to visit Clients in markets as diverse as San Francisco, Fort Worth, Miami, Lafayette, Boston and so on.

I have been doing business for 20 years and even my long term Clients would be hard pressed to know who I voted for or what my stands are on the social issues of the day. It is a "Nunya" (a lovely Texas word that means "none of your business"). However, this "Nunya" goes BOTH ways (which is where we as a country are in trouble). It means it is none of THEIR business about what my voting record or opinions are and it is NONE of my business to LECTURE them and "educate" them.

I am a business person and my only job is to provide efficient, cost effective, timely and ethical business services to my Clients. I am not their Preacher, Social Guide, Cult Leader or Influencer. My job is to do what I have been hired to do and get along with people of all backgrounds and beliefs

This is where my Dad's advice helps. The only exception is the "money" aspect, because this is America after all, and people will discuss things about how expensive the new iPhone is, which athlete is getting paid how much. Even then, the way I apply my Dad's rule is to make sure that money talk never gets personal, e.g., how much do I make, how much do they make, how much did my watch cost, brand of the car I drive etc.

This is kinda how America used to be in the olden days. When you met people in a bar or a business environment, you ONLY talked about the weather or sports. I respectfully disagree with some of the posters that sports can cause fights. We are not very European in our love of sports. We will disagree loudly (feel free to listen in on Eagle fans talking to Cowboys fans), but fights about sports are something that are broadly rare in our country.

So, sports is a good way to have back and forth banters and light hearted "grief giving" (like when your team is really doing badly in the season...again the Cowboys.. ever since Troy Aikman left... well.. this season may be different)

Politics news channels ABSOLUTELY do not belong in a "public" environment. Absolutely not!! I am surprised anyone thought they make sense when they are GUARANTEED to offend anywhere from 47-53% of your customer base. Political shows should be listened to in your car or at home or on your web browser.

The right approach is to have Sports, Travel or even Cooking shows.

Just my 2 cents, but I will say this (as this topic absolutely struck a chord with me), that when I go to an Admirals Club, where ANY of these news channels is playing (including the ones that back my side), I simply WALK AWAY and sit somewhere far away.

Glad that this has happened in the ORD AAdmirals Club. Hopefully, this trend spreads nationwide and we can go back to NOT talking about politics in our daily business lives.

Warm Regards,

Panjabi
+1 , totally agree!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.