Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rude or not? (Denying pax seated aft my backpack bin space)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

I’m sitting in 12F. Crappy seat in a 320. I was able to SDC so I’m not complaining. I’m in group 2 so I get on early and put my backpack (my only bag) in the bin. Woman in last boarding group comes on with a big roller headed further back. Stops at 12 and asks “who’s backpack is this? Do you mind putting this on the floor in from if you?”

I politely said “sorry, but no”.

What would you have done? I’m 6’1” and need every inch of this coach seat.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:27 pm

This is an LUS thing. Used to have it happen all the time out of DCA, except it was the FAs instead of other pax saying it. I would always just respond with something along the lines of "This is my carry on, I do not have a personal item, and thus it will go in the bin rather than under the seat."
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I agree with what you've done. I personally prefer having the leg room in front of me, so I usually put my backpack up top after I empty out the things I'll need for the flight (tablet, headphones, meds, etc.) so I don't need to go back into it. I'm not going to make myself more uncomfortable for a flight because someone bought a cheaper ticket and did not get on as early as me. As far as I see it, that's a perk of being an Elite or purchasing a non basic-economy ticket.

And if the airline has an issue with it, from my prospective, they are the ones who caused these types of issues by charging so much for checking luggage and cramming the seats so close together.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
To each their own. I would certainly move my backpack under my seat to make room for a bigger bag, especially if the alternative was forcing that person to check it (but I never put my backpack in the overhead to begin with). But I guess I'm just polite like that. Hopefully karma will catch up for those times when I'm the last one on the flight for whatever the reason.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I always keep my backpack under my seat (some ding dong crushed my laptop when I was in the bulkhead and had to put it up and since I avoid bulkheads and keep it with me).

after takeoff I put it behind my legs, up against the life jacket thing. It doesnt take up any legroom really as I'm 6' 2 and my knees extend well past the first foot of space in front of my seat.

regarding it being rude, depends on how you said it!
deeruck and Collierkr like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I had a similar thing happen to me with a woman on a LUS 321 a few years ago - asked if I could move my backpack, my only carryon item, which was too large to fit under the seat, ten rows back so she could fit her rollaboard. I politely said no, and then she responded very loud and sarcastically, “Thank you for being reasonable!” And I politely said “You’re welcome!” And she went on and on about what a jerk I was and I ignored her.
MDFFlyer and mikkittykat like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
I’m sitting in 12F. Crappy seat in a 320. I was able to SDC so I’m not complaining. I’m in group 2 so I get on early and put my backpack (my only bag) in the bin. Woman in last boarding group comes on with a big roller headed further back. Stops at 12 and asks “who’s backpack is this? Do you mind putting this on the floor in from if you?”

I politely said “sorry, but no”.

What would you have done? I’m 6’1” and need every inch of this coach seat.
Also 6'1" and that feet space is among the most valuable to me on the aircraft. In F, I'd think differently, but in Y, I'd do as you did.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes I mind, please move along.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
no chance I am moving any bag for anyone else (handicapped not included)
E55, mikkittykat and lowmiles like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
As with most other things its not what you say, but how you say it. If she was headed further back no reason for her to just stop at your row either.
E55 and lowmiles like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
As with most other things its not what you say, but how you say it. If she was headed further back no reason for her to just stop at your row either.
She asked politely, and I answered politely.

However for some reason she thought I said I already have another bag at my feet, which wasn’t the case, but correcting her at that point would be moot.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by enviroian
She asked politely, and I answered politely.

However for some reason she thought I said I already have another bag at my feet, which wasn’t the case, but correcting her at that point would be moot.
Nothing wrong with a polite no. Glad some people still have a spine
msp3, E55 and mikkittykat like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
How long is the flight. If she asked nicely and the flight was 2 hours or less. I probably would have moved my bag. If its a transcon, or they acted like a ....... I would have said no. I generally only put my backpack up later after its becoming apparent that the flight isn't full, or its a 6hr plus flight and at that point whats another 30 minutes at baggage claim.

The only reason I dont typically put my bag up is because of one particular bad experience. Because of delays I had a very tight connection, I didn't get my typically zone 2 boarding, and boarded with group 8 or something, All of the economy plus bins were full of backpacks, and 80% of those passengers had nothing under seat and I had to check my roller board. Now some of the very large backpacks I get, but some of these were moderate regular sized bags. Also it was a 2:15 minute flight. So now im much more conscious of putting my backpack up there.

Im also not a very tall guy. My brother is 6'4", He never puts anything under his seat.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If it’s your only carry on bag you are completely within your right to say no. It’s not rude. Why should people be punished for traveling light and/or checking their bag?

Similarly- on a flight now and someone boarded in a later group with all MCE bins full. She opens the bin containing my backpack (the size of a small roller board) and asks if she can move it to an open bin further back so she can put her bag there... needless to say that was a firm NO.
JMN57 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Rarely fly American, but last month on a PHX - SAN flight I was shocked by the sizes of the carry-ons that people were allowed to take into the cabin. Some carried 2 or 3 times the luggage volume between their rollers and "personal" items that would be allowed on many other airlines.

If the person asking for the favour was one of these pax, I would be even less inclined to accommodate.
E55 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.