Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rude or not? (Denying pax seated aft my backpack bin space)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude or not? (Denying pax seated aft my backpack bin space)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:24 pm

I do the same thing as you all the time. I check a bag so I don't have to put a bag at my feet.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I like a window seat so my backpack goes under the seat for takeoff and is then pulled out and stands either against my seat behind my legs or against the side wall, effectively to the side of and behind my legs, thereby making room for feet under the seat in front.

I’ve done this for years and it allows me easy access to everything I need in flight without unpacking before I sit down or disturbing neighbours when we are up in the air. Also has the advantage that the bag can be repacked easily at the end of the flight.
ijgordon, traveller99 and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
I’m sitting in 12F. Crappy seat in a 320. I was able to SDC so I’m not complaining. I’m in group 2 so I get on early and put my backpack (my only bag) in the bin. Woman in last boarding group comes on with a big roller headed further back. Stops at 12 and asks “who’s backpack is this? Do you mind putting this on the floor in from if you?”

I politely said “sorry, but no”.

What would you have done? I’m 6’1” and need every inch of this coach seat.
This sounds like a reasonable exchange to me. Both her question, and your answer.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
I’ve done it a couple times without being asked as I saw a woman struggling and that I knew would be seated next to me. But that’s part of status. Getting on the plane early so you can get overhead space. It’s the only reason I board early.
seigex likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by AA100k
I had a similar thing happen to me with a woman on a LUS 321 a few years ago - asked if I could move my backpack, my only carryon item, which was too large to fit under the seat, ten rows back so she could fit her rollaboard. I politely said no, and then she responded very loud and sarcastically, “Thank you for being reasonable!” And I politely said “You’re welcome!” And she went on and on about what a jerk I was and I ignored her.
I would have said she shove her rollaboard 10 rows back if she wanted to.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:55 am

If she was seated farther back, she had other opportunities to find a place to put her bag. Had she been sitting in row 12, maybe I would be more amenable.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
If she was sitting further back I don’t see why someone rows in front of her should have his comfort compromised for her case.

The size of some of the bags being allowed as “carry on” luggage these days is ridiculous - I’d hazard a guess that if they made it truly “carry on” (ie no wheels) as opposed to “roll on” the bag sizes would get a lot smaller
muji likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Moving someone's bag back, rows behind where they sit, does not only a disservice to the bag owner but also everyone else who is sitting behind them. Frankly, that is what is so egregious about people who stow their bag rows AHEAD of where they are seated. They force later boarders to put their bags behind where they are sitting. All of which causes disembarking the plane to become a real cluster with people like salmon swimming upstream trying to go back to retrieve their bags.
Nicc HK likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Somewhat funny if not disturbing end to the story--when I exited my row to leave the plane I reached into the bin above 12DEF to grab my backpack but it wasn't there. It was all the way up in row 8 (??) bin and I had no idea someone moved it. I was immersed in emailing during the boarding process so I perhaps missed the sneaky switch.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
...when I exited my row to leave the plane I reached into the bin above 12DEF to grab my backpack but it wasn't there. It was all the way up in row 8 (??) bin and I had no idea someone moved it.
I put my carry-on in the overhead bin across the aisle from my seat so I can easily keep my eye on it.
kingstontoon and lowmiles like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I absolutely do not feel it is rude to keep your backpack in the overhead bin if that is your only carry on. Of course, I would be polite if I was ever asked but there are many reasons why I would find it inconsiderate for someone to expect me to my move backpack.

I carry on only my back pack and instead check a bag because I am uncomfortable having my backpack by my feet. I do not buy basic economy tickets to assure that I can board earlier and as a result the way that I see it is that I am paying more to try to assure that I have a spot in the overhead bin for my bag that actually meets the size limitations for a carry on. I am willing to take the risk of having my checked bag lost and willing to wait an often ridiculous amount of time (CLT) for my checked bag to attempt to assure that I have the space by my feet when traveling in economy. I am only 5'8" but a past knee injury causes me pain if I can't stretch out that leg off and on, having my backpack in front of me restricts that. Unless traveling on a small regional plane, there should be room for everyone (especially everyone on non-basic economy tickets) to put one carry on in the overhead bin if all of those carry on bags actually meet the carry on size restriction. The reason there isn't room is because people are bringing bags aboard that are bigger than what is supposed to be allowed. On top of that some people will insist on putting both of their carry on bags in the overhead bin. In my opinion, the passengers that are bringing larger bags than allowed and/or putting multiple items in the bin when not seated where that is required are the ones' being rude. I don't feel that anyone should have to give up their single spot in the overhead bin because other travelers broke carry on size restrictions and AA didn't enforce the rules, someone thinks that they are special and should get to put their personal item and carry on up, and/or someone boarded last because they bought a basic economy ticket in which they were warned at time of purchase that their carry-on may need to be checked/gate checked. The rest of us should not have to accommodate those that do not follow and/or understand the rules and expectations.

Now there are situations in which I would offer to move my bag. I'd move it for someone that was handicap to avoid them having to put their bag too far from their seat. Keeping in mind that some people board late for a good reason and not just because they bought a basic economy ticket, I would also move my bag for someone that boarded late and really needed the space because they were either extremely tall and/or seated in a bulkhead or exit row without under seat storage. I know the flight attendants would help find room for those bags but I'd be really stressed if I were in those seats and my bag had to be placed out of my sight so I would have sympathy in those situations.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
One of the best benefits of status is early boarding so there’s OH bin space. I always check a bag and carry a backpack and that backpack is going in the bin. If I’m last on the plane after a tight connection then tough on me, it’s at my feet but if it’s in the bin it’s not coming out (until we land of course!!)
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
Anyway, I assume 90% of other travelers are amateurs and I've started imagining that they are on some first trip - like the first family vacation, or the first trip to see grandma, or something else hard like going to visit grandad in the hospital, or something interesting like just got honored by home town high school... and when someone in sweatpants doesn't know how boarding works, I just smile and think they must be going to the beach for the first time.

I dunno... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ... people gonna people, amiright? Glad you all got to where you were going

This! Which is why i typically am more forgiving to travel gaffes by others.

Also doesn't anyone else just put on their noise cancelling headphones and ignore everyone boarding? This way no one can ask you to move anything
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: Enrich
Somewhat funny if not disturbing end to the story--when I exited my row to leave the plane I reached into the bin above 12DEF to grab my backpack but it wasn't there. It was all the way up in row 8 (??) bin and I had no idea someone moved it. I was immersed in emailing during the boarding process so I perhaps missed the sneaky switch.
If it is in Asia flight, you should have been raised alert to FA once you realized your bag has been shifted. Last year, there are multiple of group theft case where the theft will pretend to look for their personal item, but actually stealing valuable items from other passengers OH baggage.

And it does not only happen in Y class, but actually there are more cases in J class.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
The only thing rude is the fact that AA wants to charge people $25 to check their bags. AA is the only "person" to blame for packed overhead bins.
rufflesinc and DCP2016 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.