Wiki Posts
Search

no SAAver awards EWR>BKK?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:40 am
Original Poster

no SAAver awards EWR>BKK?

Hello!

I remember this happening sometime last year when I inquired about EWR to BKK. Searching online showed no results and mentioned to contact "AAdvantage Customer Service" for availability. Had a similar response when calling in. Basically they told me they didn't see any availability on the calendar for any airlines and they probably "didn't post their flights yet, to try and call back at some other time". Is this in fact true or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by drewc00
Hello!

I remember this happening sometime last year when I inquired about EWR to BKK. Searching online showed no results and mentioned to contact "AAdvantage Customer Service" for availability. Had a similar response when calling in. Basically they told me they didn't see any availability on the calendar for any airlines and they probably "didn't post their flights yet, to try and call back at some other time". Is this in fact true or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance!
We need a lot more information before anyone will even be able to remotely help you. What are your desired travel dates? Class of service? One person, 2 people, or more?

Going to Thailand, the most common routings will be on either Cathay Pacific via HKG, or JAL via Tokyo. I recommend taking some time to read through the below threads...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:01 am
Original Poster

3 people, main cabin EWR TO BKK. I told them to look at any timeframe within June & July. Yes they did mention Cathay or JAL but nothing came up.

Thank you

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
We need a lot more information before anyone will even be able to remotely help you. What are your desired travel dates? Class of service? One person, 2 people, or more?

Going to Thailand, the most common routings will be on either Cathay Pacific via HKG, or JAL via Tokyo. I recommend taking some time to read through the below threads...

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There's a lot more CX/JL capacity out of JFK than there is EWR. You wouldn't be forcing an AA segment to connect at a CX/JL gateway. (Yes, I see one CX EWR-HKG; there are 4x from JFK.)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

I had them check JFK as well, and they said no availability. This is my concern, I thought this was bogus.

Sorry for being illiterate what is CX/JL? Where do you see availability? Thanks!

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There's a lot more CX/JL capacity out of JFK than there is EWR. You wouldn't be forcing an AA segment to connect at a CX/JL gateway. (Yes, I see one CX EWR-HKG; there are 4x from JFK.)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by drewc00
I had them check JFK as well, and they said no availability. This is my concern, I thought this was bogus.

Sorry for being illiterate what is CX/JL? Where do you see availability? Thanks!
CX is Cathay and JL is Japan Airlines. Since AA does not serve BKK on its metal, you will need its partner to release seats, therefore maybe not bogus on AA's side. As one of the four posts mentioned above, JL website has the best information, but BA is also mostly correct regarding CX availability. Please refer to the posts quoted above.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I highly suggest that you review the links that JJeffrey posted above. At minimum the Wikiposts and the last few pages. That should really help you in your search.

When specifically in June/July are you looking to travel? I found a routing to simply pay for the flights (in coach) for $975:
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I picked some random days in mid June and am seeing JFK-HND-BKK for 290 to 380 USD one way. Save your miles at that price, IMO
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Looking at BA, on the first date I randomly picked (June 18) I see tons of availability for JFK-HKG-BKK. And the day before (June 17) tons on EWR-HKG-BKK.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This is AA. Their policy is pretty much, "There are no saver awards from anywhere to anywhere."
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Looking at BA, on the first date I randomly picked (June 18) I see tons of availability for JFK-HKG-BKK. And the day before (June 17) tons on EWR-HKG-BKK.

I searched for 3 passengers, per the OP. Searching for one gave me no results.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
Dont forget to check out Qatar or Finnair out of Jfk. Few more miles, but I’ve had good luck . Also Cathay and Qatar out of Boston can work. June, July and August can be difficult months to work with. Schools out.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

I searched for 3 passengers, per the OP. Searching for one gave me no results.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Who clearly said:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.