Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Please explain upgrade lists? (for paid DODU / LFBU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold

I am very confused about upgrade lists that AA and American carriers seem to have.

They don't exist as far as I can tell on any other Oneworld airlines (correct me if I am wrong).

I am travelling in Economy to Chicago from LHR on Saturday - it is an Avios redemption - and there are no higher cabin redemptions available.
If I go to the check in desk and ask for a paid upgrade are they going to tell me I have to wait in a list? or will they just sell me a seat if its there - like all other airlines?!
Old May 20, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Spinstorm
I am travelling in Economy to Chicago from LHR on Saturday - it is an Avios redemption - and there are no higher cabin redemptions available.
If I go to the check in desk and ask for a paid upgrade are they going to tell me I have to wait in a list? or will they just sell me a seat if its there - like all other airlines?!
There is a big difference between a seat being available and having an avios redemption. If you had a paid Y ticket, you could upfare at any time.
Spinstorm likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
these lists are for passengers on the list for complimentary upgrades. They don't appear on e.g. BA because BA doesn't offer such upgrades based on status and having empty seats in a cabin

If someone paid for an upgrade then they don't appear on the list as they will have a confirmed seat in the higher cabin

This article may be helpful
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...ist-confusion/
Spinstorm likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; May 20, 2019 at 6:03 pm
Old May 20, 2019, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

I read that link and I was still confused - but it makes sense that those are complimentary upgrades. Thanks.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The standby list and waitlist are for mileage or certificate upgrades. AA does not offer complimentary upgrades on most intercontinental flights.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

So to confirm. If I go to check in and ask for a paid upgrade and there is availability I will have that seat. I don't have to wait in any list?

(Assuming they allow me to upgrade an award ticker with cash at the check in.)
Old May 20, 2019, 6:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
So to confirm. If I go to check in and ask for a paid upgrade and there is availability I will have that seat. I don't have to wait in any list?

There’s a possibility of a paid, load factor based upgrade at ticket counter or kiosk, occasionally e-check in. It’s offered after upgrade requests are fulfilled, presumably.

See DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

and for upgrade types and priorities, see

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

The Wikiposts at the top of the page distill a lot of information.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold

On ORD-LHR if you paid for an upgrade at the desk or kiosk, yes, you are upgraded and will get your BP with a seat in the upgraded cabin.
It is not as common as it is on BA though. So fully expect that AA will most likely tell you "NO" (not available).

For domestic trips, you can buy 500-mile upgrades (if you don't have any) to standby (wait list) for an upgrade ONLY IF you are elite with AA. As BA gold, you are not eligible for those. But, beware, an untrained agent may sell you some as it happened to a friend of mine.

Last edited by carlosdca; May 21, 2019 at 8:31 am
Old May 20, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
They are for elite upgrades. AA members can use stickers/miles+copay to upgrade domestic flights and SWU to upgrade international flights. Since there are usually more elites than available seats, they go on a standby list
Old May 22, 2019, 8:26 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

As previously mentioned, usually these kinds of paid upgrades are offered at check-in. You can certainly ask the agent at baggage checkin, or even the agent at the gate. Even if there are seats available to sell for a full fare, they would only have the ability to sell you a discounted type of upgrade if the system allows it. For ORD-LHR, I would expect such an upgrade to be in the $600-$800 range, but that can vary.

There are also sites like expertflyer (paid subscription) that can tell you if the business class cabin is fully booked or not, which would give an indication of possible upgrade opportunities for both waitlisted passengers trying to use systemwide upgrades, points or other types of certificates. These are the ones that appear on the upgrade list at T-4 hours to the flight. If such a list exists, there won't likely be any offers for LFBU's (load factor based upgrades) for $$$ that you are inquiring about.

Currently the 4 AA ORD-LHR flights on Saturday 5/25 show the 9am departure (AA90) having 5 biz seats available to sell. The other 3 (AA46, AA86, AA98) have 7 or more to sell. You might check Avios redemption options to see if biz opened up since you initially booked, though I don't know the nuances of changing an Avios award ticket (fees, restrictions, etc.).
Old May 22, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
As previously mentioned, usually these kinds of paid upgrades are offered at check-in. You can certainly ask the agent at baggage checkin, or even the agent at the gate. Even if there are seats available to sell for a full fare, they would only have the ability to sell you a discounted type of upgrade if the system allows it. For ORD-LHR, I would expect such an upgrade to be in the $600-$800 range, but that can vary.

There are also sites like expertflyer (paid subscription) that can tell you if the business class cabin is fully booked or not, which would give an indication of possible upgrade opportunities for both waitlisted passengers trying to use systemwide upgrades, points or other types of certificates. These are the ones that appear on the upgrade list at T-4 hours to the flight. If such a list exists, there won't likely be any offers for LFBU's (load factor based upgrades) for $$$ that you are inquiring about.

Currently the 4 AA ORD-LHR flights on Saturday 5/25 show the 9am departure (AA90) having 5 biz seats available to sell. The other 3 (AA46, AA86, AA98) have 7 or more to sell. You might check Avios redemption options to see if biz opened up since you initially booked, though I don't know the nuances of changing an Avios award ticket (fees, restrictions, etc.).
Lots of great information here. It’s actually LHR to ORD I am taking on Saturday 25th. Expert Flyers shows 6 seats available in business and 1 in premium.

However BA are showing no extra reward availability in those cabins - so I cant use additionally avios to upgrade.

I was expecting that AA would have a reduced price upgrade available for me to buy if there is availability at check-in. I did this with BA to JFK last year - I paid £500 and got upgraded to business. I find it mind blowing that AA offer these hugely discounted upgrades - $45 per 500 miles? So like $300 for an upgrade to business?

I will have to take my chances at check-in desk - unless the app offers me an upgrade with online check in but I have a feeling as it is an avios redemption through BA that won’t appear in the AA app.

(On a side note - why did AA randomly give me 1000 miles last month for a promo? - I do have a AAvantage account but I have never redeemed onto it any flights.)
Old May 22, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I was expecting that AA would have a reduced price upgrade available for me to buy if there is availability at check-in. I did this with BA to JFK last year - I paid £500 and got upgraded to business.
Again, that is BA. This is AA.
It is not uncommon for BA to offer cash upgrades at the airport.
It is not with AA. Expect it won't be offered. But doesn't hurt to ask, sure.

I find it mind blowing that AA offer these hugely discounted upgrades - $45 per 500 miles? So like $300 for an upgrade to business?
Not mind blowing at all.
First of all, those 500-mile upgrades are only for mostly domestic flights, not international.
Second, if you need to buy those 500-mile upgrades means you are GLD or PLT with AA (the two bottom tiers). IF you are GLD or PLT, chances to clear the upgrade are close to nill, since GLDs and PLTs are way down at the bottom of the upgrade list.
So it is actually wasted money to buy those, IMO.
(Unless bought for a companion, which is a whole different story).
Old May 22, 2019, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Again, that is BA. This is AA.
It is not uncommon for BA to offer cash upgrades at the airport.
It is not with AA. Expect it won't be offered. But doesn't hurt to ask, sure.

Not mind blowing at all.
First of all, those 500-mile upgrades are only for mostly domestic flights, not international.
Second, if you need to buy those 500-mile upgrades means you are GLD or PLT with AA (the two bottom tiers). IF you are GLD or PLT, chances to clear the upgrade are close to nill, since GLDs and PLTs are way down at the bottom of the upgrade list.
So it is actually wasted money to buy those, IMO.
(Unless bought for a companion, which is a whole different story).
For the most part if you are flying during the business week any upgrades as a PLT or GLD won't be often. Maybe a Tue/Wed afternoon flight.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:00 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

Lots of great information here. It’s actually LHR to ORD I am taking on Saturday 25th. Expert Flyers shows 6 seats available in business and 1 in premium.

However BA are showing no extra reward availability in those cabins - so I cant use additionally avios to upgrade.
Keep checking BA site, but now for 5/25 LHR-ORD, they are filling up in J with exception of AA87 at 1215pm which still shows at least 7 (the max you will see displayed, which means it's 7 or higher). Good luck!

Old May 24, 2019, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Enjoying the Cathay Pacific first class lounge now but I wasn’t able to upgrade.

As suggested they couldn't let me pay for an upgrade cash which I think is stupid. There are available business seats. But as it’s a BA avios redemption I’ve been told there’s is nothing they can do.

Any chance at the gate they could do something?

EDIT: all the seats are full anyway on boarding so doesn’t matter.

I have to be honest row 10 has plenty of leg room specially as I’m in the aisle seat. Shame I can’t get this seat coming back as it was already blocked.

Last edited by Spinstorm; May 25, 2019 at 12:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.