Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying IB / Iberia: seat selection, finding & using PNR, etc. issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2019, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Flying Iberia:
Seat selection, ticket, PNR, and related issues

Link to Iberia partner page on aa.com
Link to Iberia Early seat booking policy

NOTE: Once you have selected a seat via a deep link from aa.com, you can't change it (via the same process). AA PNRs are comprised of six letters and are not usable on the Iberia website, but Iberia uses a RESIBER (Iberia’s own host system) five digit operating PNR, but it is not usable for booking seats, etc. on the Iberia website. Iberia itself uses an Amadeus six digit PNR to manage your booking. AA marketed flights / codeshares operated by IB will not generate an Amadeus six digit PNR. Even with the Amadeus PNR, you still may encounter difficulties. It is often impossible to select seats on the website if you purchased tickets elsewhere. (Thanks to Andriyko.)

Originally Posted by C46
The 5-digit code is the one of Resiber, the DCS IB is using for CKI/Gate. Reservations are handled via Amadeus.

If you only have the Resiber-code, talking to IB is the only option. But, as phone agents are mostly not very savvy, you should specifically ask them to check Resiber for the Amadeus-code.
It is there, I can confirm that from first-hand experience.

IB agents only need to display the PNR, with rt(5 digits) - there they'll find the Amadeus record locator, in the first line, behind the third "/".
Generally, calling Iberia via the toll free number (in the US +1-800-772-4642) allows you to request seats, but that may depend on Iberia’s seating policies for different fare types and one’s oneworld status.

At least one member states they were able to use the Qantas Manage My Booking https://www.qantas.com/us/en/manage-booking.html to select seats.

Note: more extensive existing threads on specific issues with Iberia

IB 23 May 2019 split thread into
ARCHIVE through 2017: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html
EARNING EQ: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ed-issues.html
AWARDS: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-airlines.html
Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British & IB / Iberia (consolidated)
AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
AA vs. IB comparison / which is better, etc.
Print Wikipost

Flying IB / Iberia: seat selection, finding & using PNR, etc. issues

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:15 am

I have had problems in the past with free seat selection on both the Iberia website, and their call centre in Spain. However, when I have called their US number (+1-800-772-4642) they have accommodated my seat request without charge and without question.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: AA, BA
Business class seat allocation on IB (with no OW status)

This thread prompted me to have another go at attempting to get a seat allocated for an upcoming IB operated flight (booked as an AA code-share). I have a four flight, all J itinerary: 3/4 flights on AA and 1/4 on IB. There was no problem getting seats allocated via aa.com for the AA flights, but I was denied seat allocation on the IB flight (JFK->MAD). I was directed to IB's website where I was informed that seat selection was not permitted, or something like that.

So I called AA (from the UK). They could not allocate a seat, I was passed through to IB, and was informed that this could only be allocated at the airport on the day of departure.

Thought that I would give it another go using the 1-800 number posted upthread by NDFan, and went to aa.com to get the AA record locator. On checking the seat selection 'just in case', after being re-directed to IB's website I noticed a new option had appeared offering free seat selection.

I am not sure whether the seat selection option on IB needed some time to work its way through the various systems, nor whether the same circumstances would work for bookings in different IB cabins. I was pleased to get the seat selection option without the need to pursue the matter nor needing OW status.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Question How to find Iberia 6-digit PNR and Seat Selection for AA Codeshare?

I just booked a JFK - ZRH trip in aa.com on Iberia metal codeshared with AA. The booking is on hold now. I have never transferred in MAD. So I want to do a bit research before buying the ticket. I have the AA PNR. But websites of Iberia, Qantas, BA, Royal Jordanian are not recognizing my AA PNR. When I book AA codeshares in BA metal, Qantas booking management site immediately recognize AA PNR and display BA PNR and all other additional details about the flights. This is not happening for AA codeshare in IB. Is there any website to obtain Iberia 6 digit PNR?

I can of course call the EXP desk and ask for IB PNR. But I am reading in flyertalk (and in this old AA link: https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/blog/...e-flights.html) that AA codeshares in IB comes with 2 IB PNRs, a 5 dight PNR and a 6 digit Amadeus PNR. Apparently we need the 6 digit Amadeus PNR to manage the booking (select seats, etc.) in IB's website and app. But, EXP agents often gives the 5 digit IB PNR, which doesn't work. So is there any website or app to obtain IB's 6 digit Amadeus PNR from AA's PNR for codeshares?

During the booking, AA didn't allow seat selection (as happens for codeshares with BA). When I find the 6 digit Amadeus PNR of IB, can I select Exit Row seats (I am EXP) from IB's booking management site just after purchasing the ticket from aa.com (we can select any seat for codeshares in BA from BA's site).

Am I missing something?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
You need to call AA to get it. Unfortunately.

regarding seats, I vaguely remember there is some quirk. AA books through some legacy old interface to IB (with the technology sophistication of a carrier pidgeon) and it generates a different PNR than IB has in Amadeus. Can someone elaborate, confirm or correct me here?
Spiff and embarcadero1 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
The AA Twitter team is great for requests such as this.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Tintin
I just booked a JFK - ZRH trip in aa.com on Iberia metal codeshared with AA. The booking is on hold now. I have never transferred in MAD. So I want to do a bit research before buying the ticket. I have the AA PNR. But websites of Iberia, Qantas, BA, Royal Jordanian are not recognizing my AA PNR. When I book AA codeshares in BA metal, Qantas booking management site immediately recognize AA PNR and display BA PNR and all other additional details about the flights. This is not happening for AA codeshare in IB. Is there any website to obtain Iberia 6 digit PNR?

I can of course call the EXP desk and ask for IB PNR. But I am reading in flyertalk (and in this old AA link: https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/blog/...e-flights.html) that AA codeshares in IB comes with 2 IB PNRs, a 5 dight PNR and a 6 digit Amadeus PNR. Apparently we need the 6 digit Amadeus PNR to manage the booking (select seats, etc.) in IB's website and app. But, EXP agents often gives the 5 digit IB PNR, which doesn't work. So is there any website or app to obtain IB's 6 digit Amadeus PNR from AA's PNR for codeshares?

During the booking, AA didn't allow seat selection (as happens for codeshares with BA). When I find the 6 digit Amadeus PNR of IB, can I select Exit Row seats (I am EXP) from IB's booking management site just after purchasing the ticket from aa.com (we can select any seat for codeshares in BA from BA's site).

Am I missing something?
I recently had a similar situation. AA award flight on IB metal. I tweeted AA for the IB record locator and then went to Finnair's website. I used the IB locator that AA gave me. This then gave me the unique 5 character IB locator and linked me directly to IB's website where I could select the seats. It's a strange workaround but has worked for me on two different IB flights. Good luck and please report your success!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I ran into this issue on an IB codeshare last year as well. I was able select seats through the Iberia deeplink in the AA manage my reservation page. However, one thing that happened to me was that once I selected seats for my party, I wasn't able to adjust them again until check-in.
Didn't try the AA twitter account as other folks mentioned, so that could work too!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Executive, UA Premier Silver, Hilton Silver, Bonvoy Silver, IHG Rewards Gold Elite
FWIW, I had this same issue even on ticketed BA business award flight on IB metal (MIA-MAD-MIA). Everything booked originally via BA website. At time of booking, BA even provided the IB PNR locator (which was some odd 5-digit code that didn't seem like a true PNR). However, when I went to the IB website I could access my reservation in IB's system, but I still could not select seats. I had to call IB in the USA to request them to manually choose seats for me. Thought this was quite odd given the nature of the BA/IB relationship, same parent company. Perhaps IB is locking out all code-shared, non-IB ticketed award bookings from being altered online (even on IB's website with IB PNR). I've searched IB's forum, but haven't had any luck with this one. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:49 pm

Sometimes checkmytrip.com is able to extract the PNR for the operator if you email them your itinerary.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by PresRDC
The AA Twitter team is great for requests such as this.
It’s devinitely easier and more efficient to DM @AmericanAir on Twitter for these kinds of things.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
I have the same thing - trying the twitter route and will report back.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:59 pm

AA twitter replied with only the 5 character iberia reference code. Is there something different I should ask them?

I'm trying to get the 6 character Amadeus reservation number for my booking so I can choose seats on my Iberia flight. Can you help me out?
my AA confirmation code is ABCDEF
Sure, James! Your record locator with Iberia is generating as ABC99. If they have any trouble accessing that code, please give them your ticket numbers, which are 0010000000001, 0010000000002, and 0010000000003.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by jamesn00
AA twitter replied with only the 5 character iberia reference code. Is there something different I should ask them?
As I understand it, Iberia uses two PNR designators. The five character PNR designators work with Sabre (Sabre also the global distribution system AA uses; the six character PNR designator works on Amadeus, the GDS IB uses to manage their reservations.

You might have to specify what you want from the Twitter team.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
As I understand it, Iberia uses two PNR designators. The five character PNR designators work with Sabre (Sabre also the global distribution system AA uses; the six character PNR designator works on Amadeus, the GDS IB uses to manage their reservations.

You might have to specify what you want from the Twitter team.
I asked for the 6 character Amadeus code. How should I phrase it differently?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by jamesn00

I asked for the 6 character Amadeus code. How should I phrase it differently?
I had no way of knowing that.

I’d DM back something like “Thanks! That works on Sabre, I still need the six character Amadeus code. Iberia uses both.”

NOTE: other members have clarified the five digit PNR is used by Resiber, Iberia’s Passenger Service (including reservations) system.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 28, 2019 at 2:04 pm Reason: Add note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.