FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Should I burn a SWU to go J -> F on HKG -> DFW (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1950327-should-i-burn-swu-go-j-f-hkg-dfw.html)

donotblink Jan 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Should I burn a SWU to go J -> F on HKG -> DFW

I just scored a $1,170 one way ticket from HKG -> DFW -> CUN in J (from this thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...-act-fast.html )

There is SWU A inventory available for me to move J->F, but looking at the seatmap, only interior seats are available. My thoughts are that I should probably just stick with a window seat in the mini-J cabin, having only flown this route in F once, I feel like the difference isn't that big. But my last experience was a long time ago and I thought I'd solicit feedback from fellow flyer-talkers.

Gino Troian Jan 10, 2019 12:56 pm

I would - it's a super long flight and the bigger bed/more private cabin definitely makes the experience a bit better. I would also check back once in a while to see if any of the window seats open up ^ Enjoy!

pbd456 Jan 10, 2019 1:03 pm

It is so hard to clear swu that it could expire

Austin787 Jan 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Go for it. Unless you have other plans for that SWU. F doesn't have a footwell so more space for your feet when sleeping, plus the swiveling seat is cool.

Antarius Jan 10, 2019 1:18 pm

Depends on whether you think you can use the SWU later. IMO, J-->F isn't worth it unless you have SWUs to burn or no likely travel plans.

fotographer Jan 10, 2019 1:44 pm

done this several times, well worth it.. I believe its the longest flight on AA you can take

caburrito Jan 10, 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 30637922)
Depends on whether you think you can use the SWU later. IMO, J-->F isn't worth it unless you have SWUs to burn or no likely travel plans.

This. I used a SWU last year for the same leg. There's more space but less privacy. And all I did was sleep.

Steve M Jan 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Another thing to consider: the upgrade will also grant you access to the CX First Class lounges at HKG.

JJeffrey Jan 10, 2019 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 30638163)
Another thing to consider: the upgrade will also grant you access to the CX First Class lounges at HKG.

OP is an EXP so he/she would already have that regardless of if they were in Y/J/F...

stephem Jan 10, 2019 2:22 pm

I would do the upgrade. I always end the year with a couple left over so this year I did J-F on every flight I could and even booked a less direct routing to go thru LAX to get LAX-LHR. I think the F experience is a nice step up over J and worth it.

platbrownguy Jan 10, 2019 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 30637807)
I just scored a $1,170 one way ticket from HKG -> DFW -> CUN in J (from this thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...-act-fast.html )

There is SWU A inventory available for me to move J->F, but looking at the seatmap, only interior seats are available. My thoughts are that I should probably just stick with a window seat in the mini-J cabin, having only flown this route in F once, I feel like the difference isn't that big. But my last experience was a long time ago and I thought I'd solicit feedback from fellow flyer-talkers.

I just did this, and have flown both J and F a number of times, and I have mixed feelings. The service in F is way better, and the pajamas are actually better (bigger even within a size) in F than in J. The F seat is way better for working & hanging out, because of the swivel, etc.

But if you're a side or stomach sleeper and not of slender build, I think the J seat has more wiggle room where it counts -- I find that in the F seat, I'm weirdly constricted on both sides by the vertical barriers and it is very difficult for me to find a comfortable position to sleep, even though my feet have ample room. In the J seat, I can bend my knees in a natural position and because of the vacant space under the desk area, I have ample room there, and I still have enough room not to be unhappy with my feet.

For me, if I knew I was just going to sleep, I'd personally pick J. If I was going to be awake a lot, using the service, eating the meals, working a bit, and only using the bed to doze a bit, I'd go F. The big unfortunate thing is I've made the "wrong call" a few times now -- I've burned the SWU in advance thinking I'd want to enjoy F on occasions when I've ended up just wanting to sleep, and I've refrained from burning it on flights when I then ended up in J with an empty glass for 12 hours having to get myself a refill from economy because the J FAs disappeared.

donotblink Jan 10, 2019 2:44 pm

So I only got 4 system-wide upgrades, and had already burned one for the outbound from Y -> J going to Seoul. I wasn't planning on doing the upgrade but I decided to based on everyone's feedback here. The flight isn't until September (and I'm surprised they already have 4 other people booked in F), I'll set Expert Flyer alerts up for all four of those windows and hope for a schedule change so I can do HKG -> LAX (eat at flagship dining) -> JFK (eat at flagship dining again) -> (sleep at my apartment + as long of a stopover/layover as they'll give me) -> Cancun.

I also figured that it's arguably a good value for a SWU because if I was doing a mileage upgrade for this, the cash co-pay would be higher than the Y->J cash co-pay. I'll probably end up doing some mileage upgrades this year, but that's basically all I use my miles for anyway, so that's ok.

Thanks again to everyone for your feedback!

platbrownguy Jan 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 30638321)
So I only got 4 system-wide upgrades, and had already burned one for the outbound from Y -> J going to Seoul. I wasn't planning on doing the upgrade but I decided to based on everyone's feedback here. The flight isn't until September (and I'm surprised they already have 4 other people booked in F), I'll set Expert Flyer alerts up for all four of those windows and hope for a schedule change so I can do HKG -> LAX (eat at flagship dining) -> JFK (eat at flagship dining again) -> (sleep at my apartment + as long of a stopover/layover as they'll give me) -> Cancun.

I also figured that it's arguably a good value for a SWU because if I was doing a mileage upgrade for this, the cash co-pay would be higher than the Y->J cash co-pay. I'll probably end up doing some mileage upgrades this year, but that's basically all I use my miles for anyway, so that's ok.

Thanks again to everyone for your feedback!

Double FFD is enough to make me burn one, too. Sounds like a great itinerary if you can get the reroute.

jpasiczn Jan 10, 2019 6:36 pm

I've flown this route a handful of times and I've always used an SWU. HKG-LAX departs at nighttime. Ask them to hold your dinner, sleep for 6-7 hours, eat, drink, eat, drink, doze, arrive in LAX at 4 PM, catch a connection, get home and fall asleep. something super cool about swiveling your chair towards the window and doing some work looking at the ocean

JDiver Jan 10, 2019 7:47 pm

What are you keeping them for, if not to upgrade?

AA offers a handful of flights with international Flagship First class, as the only widebidy with it is the 77W.