Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Should I burn a SWU to go J -> F on HKG -> DFW

Should I burn a SWU to go J -> F on HKG -> DFW

Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:59 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
But if you're a side or stomach sleeper and not of slender build, I think the J seat has more wiggle room where it counts -- I find that in the F seat, I'm weirdly constricted on both sides by the vertical barriers and it is very difficult for me to find a comfortable position to sleep, even though my feet have ample room. In the J seat, I can bend my knees in a natural position and because of the vacant space under the desk area, I have ample room there, and I still have enough room not to be unhappy with my feet.
What vertical barriers? You mean the arm rests? You know they both slide down, right?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
So I only got 4 system-wide upgrades, and had already burned one for the outbound from Y -> J going to Seoul. I wasn't planning on doing the upgrade but I decided to based on everyone's feedback here. The flight isn't until September (and I'm surprised they already have 4 other people booked in F), I'll set Expert Flyer alerts up for all four of those windows and hope for a schedule change so I can do HKG -> LAX (eat at flagship dining) -> JFK (eat at flagship dining again) -> (sleep at my apartment + as long of a stopover/layover as they'll give me) -> Cancun.

I also figured that it's arguably a good value for a SWU because if I was doing a mileage upgrade for this, the cash co-pay would be higher than the Y->J cash co-pay. I'll probably end up doing some mileage upgrades this year, but that's basically all I use my miles for anyway, so that's ok.

Thanks again to everyone for your feedback!
I would use one for this, in fact I am using one on my HKG-LAX-CUN flight - though I connect LAX-DFW-CUN. Thats a long flight and even the "inside" F seats are better than J so IMO that's a solid SWU usage. If you somehow end up getting a sched change that allows you to switch to HKG-LAX-JFK-CUN then its a total no brainer since as you point out you get FFD twice plus F on the transcon LAX-JFK
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:11 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY
What vertical barriers? You mean the arm rests? You know they both slide down, right?
No. Correct me if I'm wrong -- and maybe this is just very peculiar to me -- but I my perception is that the "wall" circled in red on the F seat is about the same place as where the "open" cut-out circled in green is in the J seat:

There is probably also something about angling into the window, maybe it's the privacy I guess, that makes it feel easier for me to get comfortable in the J seat. Don't get me wrong, the F seat is great, it just takes me much longer to find a comfortable way to sleep in it for some reason.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Yes, burn it so others have a better chance Y->J with their SWUs.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
For me, if I knew I was just going to sleep, I'd personally pick J. If I was going to be awake a lot, using the service, eating the meals, working a bit, and only using the bed to doze a bit, I'd go F.
I agree. I usually try to sleep more (and am more tired) flying eastbound (to DFW) than westbound (to HKG). So, I'd do it for sure on DFW to HKG, but harder decision on the opposite direction.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
What are you keeping them for, if not to upgrade?

AA offers a handful of flights with international Flagship First class, as the only widebidy with it is the 77W.
Im also doing 6-7 trips to Europe this year that will probably be booked in Y, so my argument would have been to keep one for one of those, but Ill plan to do mileage upgrades or LFBUs.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I would probably save it for later or until one of the F window seats open up. The 77W mini cabin windows seats are really private. Plus if you are seated in 3A/3J there isnt really a footwell constriction. Thus I think the 77W J seats are very sufficient for just about anything.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive

Im also doing 6-7 trips to Europe this year that will probably be booked in Y, so my argument would have been to keep one for one of those, but Ill plan to do mileage upgrades or LFBUs.
I was faced with the same question back when there was a 3 cabin LAX-SYD flight. I booked J and was faced with using an SWU to go to F. I ultimately did it, and was very happy with the decision. With that being said. I take a maximum of 3 international trips a year - 2 of which are to AU where my company allows booking J. The one to Europe is not able to book J so I always save 2 SWUs. The last couple of years I've had to burn 2 SWUs in January on domestic routes because I didn't have as much use for them since there isn't an F cabin to SYD any longer.

Given the number of trips to Europe I'd probably say save it. While the SWU to F isn't a waste, it isn't a ton of difference and you could save some miles on the EU trips.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I think it's worth it, provided you don't need the SWUs for a trip where you need to go from Y-J. Also, since you're booked in business, is using miles to upgrade an option?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I think it's worth it, provided you don't need the SWUs for a trip where you need to go from Y-J. Also, since you're booked in business, is using miles to upgrade an option?
I'm booked in deep-discount business (booking code is I) it would be 25,000 miles + $550 in cash.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I'm booked in deep-discount business (booking code is I) it would be 25,000 miles + $550 in cash.
This is one place on the AA upgrade chart that makes such little sense to me. $25K + $350 to J is reasonable... and the improvement in the quality of the flight is pretty big.

But requiring an extra $200 just to go J-->F is silly, IMO. Particularly, AA F. Especially when you've likely already paid $3K+ for a J ticket.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econometrics
This is one place on the AA upgrade chart that makes such little sense to me. $25K + $350 to J is reasonable... and the improvement in the quality of the flight is pretty big.

But requiring an extra $200 just to go J-->F is silly, IMO. Particularly, AA F. Especially when you've likely already paid $3K+ for a J ticket.
I agree, and I fares can get pretty expensive (way over $3k in some cases, even if they can also be <$2k r/t at the other end of the scale). But perhaps it's just a tool to manage demand. As nearly everyone has said, 77W J is pretty darn good to begin with, so it's no real loss to forego.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econometrics

I wonder what the LFBU price is to go J->F on this route.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what the LFBU price is to go J->F on this route.
For what it's worth, Air France seems to ask for ~$1.5-2k+ for J-to-F, didn't seem to matter much whether it's a 7-hour or 12-hour flight. But that's a bigger step up in soft product than on AA (still difficult to justify though!). If I had to make a guess on AA, I'd say $750-1000 if they even do it.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Given the number of trips to Europe I'd probably say save it. While the SWU to F isn't a waste, it isn't a ton of difference and you could save some miles on the EU trips.
Seconded. the J seat is great on the 77W and it saves you 25k miles + 350 bucks to Europe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.