Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What's better for the AAcount? (EQM, EQD earning AA vs JL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

is there a difference in accumulating EQD/EQM and mileage in my AA account when booking a JL metal flight? Better to book through AA or JL? And if I book through AA am I able to select seats on the JL flight?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by theshaun
is there a difference in accumulating EQD/EQM and mileage in my AA account when booking a JL metal flight? Better to book through AA or JL? And if I book through AA am I able to select seats on the JL flight?
yes. AA issued tickets earn EQD based on your actual spend. Partners will credit EQD as a percentage of distance (based on fare class).

it entirely depends on what route, what class and what the cost is to determine which is a better option. For example, I got a 1600 USD business class ticket on QR from IAH to SIN.That credited as 4500 EQD as it was 20% of the distance flown. On the flip side, if you got a real expensive ticket the percentage of distance can be less than the dollar spend - in this case book with AA.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It depends onn airline and fare class. Compare

AA https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

vs

JL https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

I’ve corrected the thread title. For better replies and to disclose to members, we recommend following the rule on threat titles here. That will be helpful to you and to other members.

Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by theshaun
Originally Posted by Antarius
yes. AA issued tickets earn EQD based on your actual spend. Partners will credit EQD as a percentage of distance (based on fare class).
But just be clear, for EQM/EQD earning, with AA it makes no difference who issues the ticket, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Turns out this is a moot point as the routing I wanted was several thousand cheaper to book through JL even though 2 out of 3 flights are on AA metal.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
But just be clear, for EQM/EQD earning, with AA it makes no difference who issues the ticket, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on.
If JL sells me a flight on AA60 (NRT-DFW) how would AA know what I paid? I was under the impression it was based on whose ticket stock it was issued under?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:42 pm

If JL sells me a flight on AA60 (NRT-DFW) how would AA know what I paid? I was under the impression it was based on whose ticket stock it was issued under?
Because JL has to pass the revenue to AA for selling the AA-marketed flight. JL is just acting as the "storefront"/"travel agent".
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, unlike some other carriers, ticket stock has zero bearing on EQM/EQD earning with AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.