Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA495 ORD-SFO - Are you kidding? (aircraft change, increased fare)

AA495 ORD-SFO - Are you kidding? (aircraft change, increased fare)

Old Jan 9, 19, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Angry AA495 ORD-SFO - Are you kidding? (aircraft change, increased fare)

Happy New Year, All. It's been a while since I posted here, but I just had to vent.

So I'm a frequent Monday AM ORD-SFO flyer and late last year, we had a few weeks of the 788. What a nice change as this meant more FF would get a chance at an upgrade. Did not mean a lot to me as I book in F anyway, but I thought it a good move as there are so many FF on that flight.

Fast forward to 2019. 788 gone; fare increased; flight moved about an hour earlier; replacement plane? Old USAir 321 - not an outlet in sight. Beyond annoyed that AA would offer this major downgrade on such a popular flight.

I really hate this airline sometimes!

*Vent over*
Old Jan 9, 19, 11:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No worries, all 321 and be the same - power, tot toilets, decreased pitch in all classes, Meridian seats in Coach.
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Strange. When I flew SFO-ORD recently on December 31, a pmAA 737 was offered, complete with outlets and all.
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I seem to recall that the morning ORD-SFO and evening SFO-ORD times changed (and frequencies were temporarily lost) a bit seasonally but eventually returned to "normal times". Granted that was a couple years ago but it did revert back in the sprig. Perhaps this is the normal pattern of this route in play there?
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neo_781 View Post
I seem to recall that the morning ORD-SFO and evening SFO-ORD times changed (and frequencies were temporarily lost) a bit seasonally but eventually returned to "normal times". Granted that was a couple years ago but it did revert back in the sprig. Perhaps this is the normal pattern of this route in play there?
They have done that in the past, but the change has never been this drastic. For an F ticket, we've gone from $390 to over $500, flight time was changed from ~ 7:20am to 6:30(too early for bad seats), 737-800 to 321... Now for a flight of over 4 hrs, you're worried if you have enough power on your device by landing time. It's just such crap service. I regret sticking with AA for so long, but we really don't have much of a choice - United?
Old Jan 9, 19, 4:08 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by badjuju View Post
They have done that in the past, but the change has never been this drastic. For an F ticket, we've gone from $390 to over $500, flight time was changed from ~ 7:20am to 6:30(too early for bad seats), 737-800 to 321... Now for a flight of over 4 hrs, you're worried if you have enough power on your device by landing time. It's just such crap service. I regret sticking with AA for so long, but we really don't have much of a choice - United?
What do you mean you don't have much of a choice?

This route is hub-to-hub for UA and I know in the past UA had a fair number of widebodies on ORD-SFO (albeit hub-hub widebody flights are more prone to last-minute equipment swaps) and certainly much better frequency than AA. As a paid first passenger, why wouldn't you book better equipment on UA?

AA's domestic fleet is going to scheiss. They're reducing pitch in F as well as MCE. Time to start voting with your dollars and booking away from AA.
ijgordon, Spiff, TXguy and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 4:19 pm

Happy New Year, All. It's been a while since I posted here, but I just had to vent.

So I'm a frequent Monday AM ORD-SFO flyer and late last year, we had a few weeks of the 788. What a nice change as this meant more FF would get a chance at an upgrade. Did not mean a lot to me as I book in F anyway, but I thought it a good move as there are so many FF on that flight.

Fast forward to 2019. 788 gone; fare increased; flight moved about an hour earlier; replacement plane? Old USAir 321 - not an outlet in sight. Beyond annoyed that AA would offer this major downgrade on such a popular flight.

I really hate this airline sometimes!

*Vent over*

thats really bad bad news. ORD was the only hub with a decent fleet and no LUS planes!
Old Jan 9, 19, 4:20 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
replacement plane? Old USAir 321 - not an outlet in sight. Beyond annoyed that AA would offer this major downgrade on such a popular flight.
Just because it's full/"popular" doesn't mean it's profitable. Especially if F was going for under $400.

Now for a flight of over 4 hrs, you're worried if you have enough power on your device by landing time. It's just such crap service.
Yep, same as the transcons out of CLT. Annyoing to have a 4-5 hour flight without any power, especially in F. Fortunately, I can now fly UA from my home airport and not have to deal with poor planes all the time.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This sounds like a route UA owns and probably has the best frequency on. Maybe AA doesn't want to compete.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 4:39 pm
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA former-Platinum (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
This sounds like a route UA owns and probably has the best frequency on. Maybe AA doesn't want to compete.
Or they attempted to compete but then gave up.
Old Jan 9, 19, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Just because it's full/"popular" doesn't mean it's profitable. Especially if F was going for under $400.

Yep, same as the transcons out of CLT. Annyoing to have a 4-5 hour flight without any power, especially in F. Fortunately, I can now fly UA from my home airport and not have to deal with poor planes all the time.
$400 OW
Old Jan 9, 19, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
AA has 5 ORD-SFO flights. 5 flights isnt "doesnt want to compete". UA has 9, as it's a hub-hub route so the OP has an option (although the 2 morning flights are on a 739 and 753)

Also a lot of widebodies will return to Europe service. That's how it is every year.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
$400 OW
that's still quite cheap. HOU-SFO regularly runs around that rate.. in Y.
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The last time I flew out of SFO on UA it was in a really beat up and very worn A320 series. Ugh.
Old Jan 10, 19, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
AA has 5 ORD-SFO flights. 5 flights isnt "doesnt want to compete". UA has 9, as it's a hub-hub route so the OP has an option (although the 2 morning flights are on a 739 and 753)

Also a lot of widebodies will return to Europe service. That's how it is every year.
5 vs 9 daily flights is a big delta.

Search this Thread