Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA495 ORD-SFO - Are you kidding? (aircraft change, increased fare)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA495 ORD-SFO - Are you kidding? (aircraft change, increased fare)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
AA has 5 ORD-SFO flights. 5 flights isnt "doesnt want to compete". UA has 9, as it's a hub-hub route so the OP has an option (although the 2 morning flights are on a 739 and 753)
There's a big difference in gauge, too. Tomorrow's flights:

AA, 2x 321, 2x 738

UA, 1x 738, 4x 739, 3x 753, 1x 772
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:58 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Ugh. I am regular on this route as well (although usually Tuesday mornings). Very disappointing to see this.
The 787 sure was nice while it lasted, but we always knew it was going to be temporary.

My country for a 738!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Antarius
that's still quite cheap. HOU-SFO regularly runs around that rate.. in Y.
This is quite cheap...would love to have four hour F flight from large metro to large metro for $800 r/t
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by badjuju
Happy New Year, All. It's been a while since I posted here, but I just had to vent.

So I'm a frequent Monday AM ORD-SFO flyer and late last year, we had a few weeks of the 788. What a nice change as this meant more FF would get a chance at an upgrade. Did not mean a lot to me as I book in F anyway, but I thought it a good move as there are so many FF on that flight.

Fast forward to 2019. 788 gone; fare increased; flight moved about an hour earlier; replacement plane? Old USAir 321 - not an outlet in sight. Beyond annoyed that AA would offer this major downgrade on such a popular flight.

I really hate this airline sometimes!

*Vent over*
The 7:25am returns in May on a 738....
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I miss the days of VX F for $399 each way. Now AS only has one flight a day
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
I have been taking the early morning flight from ORD-SFO for many years, and this seasonal reduction isn't new. The reality is that the loads are extremely light in the winter months on this route, even with <$100 advanced fares.

ORD-SFO on the 788 was a fun novelty, but the primary reason for that flight and the other DFW-SFO flights on the 788 was to have a surge in seats in order to maintain gate allocations. Yes, there is a bit of a spike in demand on the route in December, but for the rest of the winter the flights that remain have maybe 50% load. I've seen flights which have more passengers in First than in the Main Cabin in both directions on this route.

UA's flights are hub to hub and have a bit higher load factor, but it's just the complete lack of demand in this season. AS has the same problem, with three flights going down to one.

We really can't blame AA for the seasonal reduction, and I'm personally fine with the LUS A321. Armed with a 99 watt hour USB-C battery pack, the lack of power is no issue for me.

My only real complaint is that of the early timing - 6:30 AM is just a bit too early for me. Five years ago this flight was AA1585 and departed at 7:30 AM and it has bounced around between that and as early as 7:05 AM. Thankfully, with the ATS at ORD being shutdown, the shuttle buses from parking lot G go straight to the terminals which makes up for some of that time. The downside though is that there's still some rush hour traffic on 101 going into San Francisco when this flight gets in, but that's not added more than 10 minutes or so to my commute.

Hopefully we'll see the currently scheduled timing for the flights in May and beyond stick!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by gateH15

thats really bad bad news. ORD was the only hub with a decent fleet and no LUS planes!
More and more now. Last three ORD/DFW flights and next one are on LUS 321's
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:36 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Flew this on Tuesday morning this week. Less than 100 people on the flight, all but one row had empty middles (naturally I was in the one row with a middle seat occupied).
Rows 5-8 were blocked for weight and balance issues, so row 9 was first occupied row in economy.

I was 14 of 31 on the upgrade list as PlatPro with middling EQD. Only 1 person cleared at the gate, as usual. So basically 1/3+ of the plane was likely elite.

Flight was over 5 hours as we had to do donuts around the Bay Area for almost half an hour waiting for SFO to clear us to land.

Good times.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Flew this on Tuesday morning this week. Less than 100 people on the flight, all but one row had empty middles (naturally I was in the one row with a middle seat occupied).
Rows 5-8 were blocked for weight and balance issues, so row 9 was first occupied row in economy.

I was 14 of 31 on the upgrade list as PlatPro with middling EQD. Only 1 person cleared at the gate, as usual. So basically 1/3+ of the plane was likely elite.

Flight was over 5 hours as we had to do donuts around the Bay Area for almost half an hour waiting for SFO to clear us to land.

Good times.
can’t wait for retrofit to be completed. These no power, no MCE planes need to go!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:56 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

And to add insult to injury I am flying the same bird on the way home now, because the earlier flight is leaving later than this one.
Original flight also got switched to an Oasis 737, so maybe this is a blessing in disguise?
Can't win this week. :-(
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by gateH15

can’t wait for retrofit to be completed. These no power, no MCE planes need to go!
I'm not sure I'd be so eager for the retrofits. While I use power in flight occasionally, I've never understood the fascination with it being a "must have". I'd MUCH rather have more comfortable seats than power.

I was stuck in coach on a LUS 321 a few weeks back, and must say it was very comfortable. Not sure if the pitch is 31 or 32, but an inch or two really makes a different (I'm 6'0 tall), and my knees did not touch the seat in front of me. I'd much rather have that than have power, since I can always bring my own, or make sure I'm charged up before I go.
donotblink likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
What clunker of a laptop does not last 4 hours? Or in 2019 someone doesn’t spend ~$100 for an extra battery vs. relying on an airplane to provide everything.

A stinker of a plane is what it is...but you generally know that in advance.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow

Good times.
I was also on this flight, higher on the list at #8, but my EQDs are horribly low for EXP.

Also got moved back from 8F to 19F, but that’s not really a big deal considering there’s no real MCE on the 321.

Not a bad flight, just wish this one had ViaSat.
aisleorwindow likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:43 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer

I was also on this flight, higher on the list at #8, but my EQDs are horribly low for EXP.

Also got moved back from 8F to 19F, but that’s not really a big deal considering there’s no real MCE on the 321.

Not a bad flight, just wish this one had ViaSat.
Comforting to know there were plenty of EXPs in coach with me I don't think I've ever cleared on an ORD<-->SFO flight during the week. You have to buy F on this route if you want to sit up front.
I was lucky enough to get 10F exit row. At least the view was nice during the holding pattern

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.