FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Options for missed flight with short, separate ticket HNL connection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1950071-options-missed-flight-short-separate-ticket-hnl-connection.html)

r0llerman Jan 9, 2019 7:05 am

Options for missed flight with short, separate ticket HNL connection

I have a dilemma that I’m not sure which way to go with. I have a flight out of HNL to DFW coming up that departs at 9PM. The two options getting to HNL arrive at 4:50 or 8:20. Clearly, neither is ideal.

I will only have carry on bags, so making the flight is possible, but what happens if it miss it? 40 min is below HNL’s MCT, it is on a separate reservation and there is not another DFW flight until the next day. I am Plat Pro and there are two more flights later that night that go to PHX and LAX.

It’s a paid business class ticket, what is likely to happen if I don’t make the connection? Can I fly standby to either PHX or LAX and then standby there for flights to NYC or do I have to wait for the next DFW flight? Is it possible they tell me I’m SOL?

Thanks!

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jan 9, 2019 7:11 am

Originally Posted by r0llerman (Post 30631502)
I have a dilemma that I’m not sure which way to go with. I have a flight out of HNL to DFW coming up that departs at 9PM. The two options getting to HNL arrive at 4:50 or 8:20. Clearly, neither is ideal.

I will only have carry on bags, so making the flight is possible, but what happens if it miss it? 40 min is below HNL’s MCT, it is on a separate reservation and there is not another DFW flight until the next day. I am Plat Pro and there are two more flights later that night that go to PHX and LAX.

It’s a paid business class ticket, what is likely to happen if I don’t make the connection? Can I fly standby to either PHX or LAX and then standby there for flights to NYC or do I have to wait for the next DFW flight? Is it possible they tell me I’m SOL?

Thanks!

You can certainly request that but some GAs are lazy and won't want to rebook a complex routing. I've used the AC for situations like this and they have always been amendable to more complex routings to get me home or to my destination.

platbrownguy Jan 9, 2019 7:12 am

Take the earlier inbound. Sure, odds are they'd let you standby (flat tire/late arrival standby) for the other flights but you'd be giving up a flat bed for a regular domestic chair... or perhaps even economy (the seats up front could be sold out on the other flights). As noted, the AC agents will be your best allies at HNL if you need rerouting.

Also I assume you're coming in on an intra-islands flight and not another oneworld flight... you're a little better off if it's a oneworld connection but not much -- 40min is tight, HNL isn't tiny, and losing a paid 777 J seat isn't worth risking imo.

Often1 Jan 9, 2019 7:20 am

AA has a specific provision for separate tickets AA-AA and OW-AA (as well as AA-OW). AA's policy expressly shows a "no" for accommodating transfers such as yours. Thus, if you no show, you should not count on being accommodated at all. But, even if you are, it will not be until there is availability and it may well be last seat available in Y.

I would not do this.

no2chem Jan 9, 2019 7:24 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 30631534)
Take the earlier inbound. Sure, odds are they'd let you standby (flat tire/late arrival standby) for the other flights but you'd be giving up a flat bed for a regular domestic chair... or perhaps even economy (the seats up front could be sold out on the other flights). As noted, the AC agents will be your best allies at HNL if you need rerouting.

Also I assume you're coming in on an intra-islands flight and not another oneworld flight... you're a little better off if it's a oneworld connection but not much -- 40min is tight, HNL isn't tiny, and losing a paid 777 J seat isn't worth risking imo.

Technically this is not late arrival standby and should be protected by AA IRROPS policy even with the separate tickets.

If there are no seats, you should be listed as invol standby (RI) rather than flat tire (RL)

Edit: missed the part about below MCT, so no you will be listed as RL and probably not have much flexibility (ie, take the next nonstopnflight to DFW only).

davesam12 Jan 9, 2019 7:31 am

Go early. Hang out at Admirals Club/Sakura Lounge. Don't risk giving up the 777-200 first class cabin/service to DFW.

Anna Smith Jan 9, 2019 7:40 am

Hope you could make it

JJeffrey Jan 9, 2019 7:50 am

Assuming the first flight is on Hawaiian, then any protections AA would give you across separate tickets go out the window as Hawaiian is neither AA nor oneworld (not even considering it's below MCT).

If you were to miss the flight, best case scenario is you get a friendly agent that works to rebook you that evening via LAX or PHX, but who knows if you would get F on those flights or not, etc.

Worst case scenario is they say sorry and force you to buy a new walk-up ticket.

I generally have a high risk tolerance for this type of thing but even I would never book a 40 min connection here given the options. Take the early flight.

IADCAflyer Jan 9, 2019 7:53 am

Not wise IMHO. You are definitely playing with fire with such a short connection involving non-related or aligned airlines. I don't know HNLs layout, so I don't know how far you'd have to walk or run. Take the earlier flight, enjoy some afternoon Honolulu air and visit the AC.

r0llerman Jan 9, 2019 9:34 am

Sounds like it's best to play it safe. Thanks everyone

chicago747 Jan 9, 2019 10:24 am

Most days AA has a 6:25pm flight (AA8) as well HNL-DFW. I'm not sure when your flight is, but you might see if maybe you can switch to that flight. Then you could take the option that arrives HNL at 4:50pm and your layover is 1h35m which is much safer.

Cost will all depend on availability and your original fare of course....but might be worth a look.

hawaii-bound Jan 9, 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by r0llerman (Post 30632173)
Sounds like it's best to play it safe. Thanks everyone

That is a very smart move. It is not worth a few extra hours in HNL to potentially miss your flight. It is also a long walk from the inter-island terminal to the AA gates and you must pass through agriculture with your bags again.