Short check Luggage

Old Jan 8, 19, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Short check Luggage

I post the same question in the Premium Fare discussion but need advise from a frequent AA flyer about the policy of short check baggage and their cut-off time for long layovers.

I plan to book the HKG-LAX-MIA-CUN biz fare (one way) for around USD 1‘100 and skip the last leg (MIA-CUN). I booked a separate QR award ticket (MIA-DOH-BKK) as my return flight back to Asia.

I will have checked luggage for my HKG-LAX-MIA flight which is my concern that AA check it trough to CUN.

I tried to have as long layover in MIA for the flight to CUN as possible. I found now a connection in MIA to CUN which takes 14hours 23 minutes (it’s same day, not overnight). Can someone please advise if I’m able to get my luggage in MIA and skip my MIA-CUN flight?
Old Jan 8, 19, 6:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
What would be your plan if there is a delay/missed connection somewhere and they end up sending on a different routing to CUN (i.e. HKG-LAX-DFW-CUN or HKD-LAX-PHL-CUN)? There is no guarantee to get to MIA and the ticket you purchased is strictly for HKG-CUN.

As for short checking bags, typically I don't think AA does it, but they may for extended layovers like the one you are planning (others on here would have more definitive answers). However, even if the answer to this is Yes, you still assume some risk if things don't go right.
Old Jan 8, 19, 7:07 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
In the past year, I tried to short check luggage 2x on long-ish, domestic layovers (4-6 hours) to pass things off to a family member or coworker but was denied. The agents were adamant that short-checking is strictly prohibited and that it must be checked to the final destination. Once was a hub, once was a small outstation. As such, I wouldn't count on it and would either carry-on and/or ship other things to your final destination.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 19, 7:24 pm

And of course there's the usual statements about how skipping the last leg could result in the carrier charging you for the fare to your actual destination, which may be substantially higher.
Old Jan 8, 19, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yenakad View Post
...and skip the last leg (MIA-CUN).

...I booked a separate QR award ticket (MIA-DOH-BKK) as my return flight back to Asia.
With your AAdv # associated with that return ticket in any way?
Old Jan 8, 19, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're flying AA metal the whole way, youre SOL. Bout all you can do is skip LAX-MIA-CUN and buy a 1 way LAX-MIA or LAX-FLL. Upon arrival @ LAX you have to claim your bags and go thru customs and the recheck your bags for any connecting flights.(Had it been HKG-MIA-CUN it would have worked) So dont say anything and let them tag it thru to CUN

* the main problem with this is should your bag not make it to LAX with you AA will send it to CUN!

If youre gonna get a 1 way LAX-MIA just make sure its not on AA! Personally Id go B6(JetBlue) to FLL and get p/u there or Tri-Rail it down to MIA
Old Jan 9, 19, 1:27 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
If you're doing an MR that basically results you in turning in MIA on QR.. why bother checking a bag?
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
If you're doing an MR that basically results you in turning in MIA on QR.. why bother checking a bag?
Spending 1 week in Miami and travelling with wife... :-)
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
I post the same question in the Premium Fare discussion but need advise from a frequent AA flyer about the policy of short check baggage and their cut-off time for long layovers.

I plan to book the HKG-LAX-MIA-CUN biz fare (one way) for around USD 1‘100 and skip the last leg (MIA-CUN). I booked a separate QR award ticket (MIA-DOH-BKK) as my return flight back to Asia.

I will have checked luggage for my HKG-LAX-MIA flight which is my concern that AA check it trough to CUN.

I tried to have as long layover in MIA for the flight to CUN as possible. I found now a connection in MIA to CUN which takes 14hours 23 minutes (it’s same day, not overnight). Can someone please advise if I’m able to get my luggage in MIA and skip my MIA-CUN flight?
You are purposely booking a fare you know you are not going to follow the rules of, and you came here for help in this?
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:43 am

Programs: None
That sounds a little complicated
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
You are purposely booking a fare you know you are not going to follow the rules of, and you came here for help in this?
<redacted>

I have problems helping anyone with such a question especially when I can fly on a saver JFK-LAX as long as LAX isnt my destination, since it is then I must fly via SFO if I want a transcon. Yet if I wanted to end in SFO I would have to fly via LAX. As long as AA is anti consumer I have no problems helping anyone looking out for their own interests just as AA only looks out for its own

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 9, 19 at 8:06 am Reason: Redacted meta content
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
We have a thread, with a nice FAQ at the top authored by a moderator dedicated to this exact topic of what the OP is trying to do, hidden city ticketing. It may be against AA's rules, but this is one rule that is openly disregarded and discussed on FT.

FAQ: Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond / Throw Away Ticketing (master thd
kim.sway likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
OP, I would have a possibly uncomfortable conversation with your wife that “well, we have to pack carryon only going to Miami since I did a ticket that kinda sorta breaks rules that will make it so our checked luggage goes to Cancun.”Tell her she can buy some things in Miami because you saved money on the ticket.

Then next time, realize that travel hacker methods like hidden city ticketing are not meant to be used for ordinary folks just like a normal ticket.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

1) Cross-posting is not allowed on FlyerTalk.

2) What you’re proposing is known as hidden city ticketing. As it’s against the airline rules, you’re dealing with some degree of risk. Off schedule operations mean your bag(s) will probably end up in Cancún, and it’s possible you’ll never see them again.

AA will not short check as you wish. The only possible scenario is if you book with more than a 12 hour stay in Miami (23 hours is okay on international fares), in which case AA doesn’t retain baggage on connections over 12 hours, and you seem to have that taken care of. Significant OSO May still result in baggage heading to CUN.

3) Discussion of how to cheat or defraud an airline is prohibited on FkyerTalk; AA corporate security do read this forum and follow up on members violating their rules they discover here.

FlyerTalk Rules:

Deceptive, Dishonest, Illegal Or Fraudulent Posting link to this rule

Posts that misquote or mischaracterize other posts or members, or contain deceptive, dishonest or knowingly inaccurate information are not allowed.

Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited.
There is an existing thread for discussing hidden city ticketing. This thread is now closed.

JonNYC and writerguyfl like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: