Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

View Poll Results: I have received an interim status offer + challenge and am
taking advantage of this offer and will take up the challenge too
60.00%
using my interim status but won’t attempt a challenge
20.00%
ignoring this offer - it’s just not for me
15.00%
Other: please post below
5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Status Challenge promotional (targeted) offer

Courtesy of eyi: Sign into your account and look under promotions to see if you're targeted.

Must sign up prior to travel. Ends 15 May 2019.

Courtesy of Pedro M:

“You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status through May 15, 2019, where you'll experience all the benefits of Gold status. Plus, elevate your experience with ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.

Want to keep Gold status or earn an even higher status through January 2020?
Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and May 15, 2019.

Elite status level - EQMs needed - EQDs needed

Gold 25,000 7,000 $3,000 $850

Platinum 50,000 12,500 $6,000 $1,500

Platinum Pro 75,000 20,500 $9,000 $2,400

Executive Platinum 100,000 35,000 $15,000 $5,000”

There is now second targeted promotional.
Based on reports here, it requires travel by 25 Sep 2019, and provides status through Jan 2021.
Print Wikipost

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
If you do the paid AA Platinum Challenge with paid platinum Status. Does that include any 500 mileage cert's ?
Do you have access to buy them for $40 ?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
If you do the paid AA Platinum Challenge with paid platinum Status. Does that include any 500 mileage cert's ?
Do you have access to buy them for $40 ?
No, there are not segment upgrades for doing the challenge, nor are they granted just for hitting Platinum. They are granted for hitting the required miles thresholds.

It's been ages since I've done a challenge so don't remember if you can buy them during the challenge but if they have granted you Platinum status during the challenge I don't really see why you couldn't.

Bare in mind though, that as Platinum on a challenge, with likely not many rolling EQDs on your account, depending on the route you are flying the likelihood of an upgrade is quite low. I certainly woudn't proactively purchase segment upgrades without knowing I'd cleared.

Regards
Shadowfactor likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
No, there are not segment upgrades for doing the challenge, nor are they granted just for hitting Platinum. They are granted for hitting the required miles thresholds.

It's been ages since I've done a challenge so don't remember if you can buy them during the challenge but if they have granted you Platinum status during the challenge I don't really see why you couldn't.

Bare in mind though, that as Platinum on a challenge, with likely not many rolling EQDs on your account, depending on the route you are flying the likelihood of an upgrade is quite low. I certainly woudn't proactively purchase segment upgrades without knowing I'd cleared.

Regards
I’m very new to this. Just took a job where I will be flying a ton.

Will make Platinum Pro by end of year, but will be starting platinum challenge next week to get a head start.

is there a guide posted somewhere about understanding the upgrade list or when/how you know you will clear ?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF gold, HHdiamond
got the same offer to platinum. i am Start gold with LH .
i do quite a lot of TATL on regular base, just wondering the mechanism to earn EQD / EQM would work for booking thru AA.com / ticket stock 001 / all the flights under AA number but all segments operated by BA ?
will i earn EQD and EQM accoridng the AA or BA table ?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lacoca
got the same offer to platinum. i am Start gold with LH .
i do quite a lot of TATL on regular base, just wondering the mechanism to earn EQD / EQM would work for booking thru AA.com / ticket stock 001 / all the flights under AA number but all segments operated by BA ?
will i earn EQD and EQM accoridng the AA or BA table ?
You always accrue EQD/EQM per marketing airline charts. If you are flying on an AA marketed flight (number), you will earn per their chart. In these challenges though, one needs to be careful that the operating carrier qualifies as far as the challenge is concerned.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Do we get to keep the 500 mile upgrades even if we don’t fly during challenge period? I can hit my plat challenge but I’ll be trading in direct flights on wn and delta for donnections on aa.

Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Probably, but my understanding is that 500-mile upgrades are hard to use if one doesn’t have AA status.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by stallion114
Do we get to keep the 500 mile upgrades even if we don’t fly during challenge period? I can hit my plat challenge but I’ll be trading in direct flights on wn and delta for donnections on aa.

I think they would stay in your account but you wouldn’t be able to use them until a future point in time when you would attain status.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Makes sense. Thanks for the responses.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
So, here is how I lost using the double miles promotion.

I have double miles active promotion going on. So I decide to book on AA hoping it helps. (I usually fly TPAC with cathay and Bank on AA or CX depending on circumstances).

So for the LAX-HKG flight (which is about 7260 actual miles), I got about 7260 actual miles flown, I got 7180 miles with the double bonus (this was in premium economy)+2154 miles as platinum bonus, i.e. total 9334 miles! (I usually get 11,000 bonus if I fly cathay premium economy without the double bonus obviously.)

And the worst was the EQD, I got only ~$700, but I usually get $1400+ for the same class on CX. And no, the AA flight was not significantly cheaper(~1800 return, as you can figure out from the EQD) than when I book on CX. Actually, i have flown cheaper on CX.

I know, I should have known this before, but I didn;t! Don't think I will fly AA again for this segment. I guess this would be benifically only if you fly buisness or above, as CX miles on AA for those classes don't give much.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Nile_US
So, here is how I lost using the double miles promotion.

I have double miles active promotion going on. So I decide to book on AA hoping it helps. (I usually fly TPAC with cathay and Bank on AA or CX depending on circumstances).

So for the LAX-HKG flight (which is about 7260 actual miles), I got about 7260 actual miles flown, I got 7180 miles with the double bonus (this was in premium economy)+2154 miles as platinum bonus, i.e. total 9334 miles! (I usually get 11,000 bonus if I fly cathay premium economy without the double bonus obviously.)

And the worst was the EQD, I got only ~$700, but I usually get $1400+ for the same class on CX. And no, the AA flight was not significantly cheaper(~1800 return, as you can figure out from the EQD) than when I book on CX. Actually, i have flown cheaper on CX.

I know, I should have known this before, but I didn;t! Don't think I will fly AA again for this segment. I guess this would be benifically only if you fly buisness or above, as CX miles on AA for those classes don't give much.
For the double AA award miles promotion that requires 1200 EQD. Is that Retroactive ? Meaning that flights that helped you earn $1200 EQD will get credit after reaching the $1200 ?

I will earn the $1200 on a flight to europe, but will that flight earn double miles since I earned the $1200 EQD during it ?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:03 am

For the double AA award miles promotion that requires 1200 EQD. Is that Retroactive ? Meaning that flights that helped you earn $1200 EQD will get credit after reaching the $1200 ?

I will earn the $1200 on a flight to europe, but will that flight earn double miles since I earned the $1200 EQD during it ?
Mine did. I had an $800 EQD. I had ~500 before a flight, crossed $800 during the flight, and got double miles for that flight and those preceding it since I signed up.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum

Yes, provided you signed up before your first flight and meet the requirements before the end of promotion date, you should be able to get double miles for all the flights you took. For me the promotion just stated I need to fly Premium to get the double miles, so I can't verify with the actual flight data.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
3 years as a Plat and finally flying enough to earn Platinum Pro (which I did last year for the first time) and will likely fly enough this year to at least maintain Plat Pro...maybe even making a run at EXP...but this offer has me seething. As a Plat last year, I averaged an upgrade percentage of around 40%. This year as a Pro, I'm at 13% (2 550-mile flights to/from Akron on a CR7) and have seen some exceptionally long upgrade lists...of which I am merely middle-of-the-pack. Add that to the removal of the "enhanced" food offerings at the select AC's and I am ready to bail. AS status matched me to their top tier and I plan on utilizing them when possible. Unfortunately AA tends to be the fare winner out of AUS, so I will be a slave to them to some extent, probably retaining Plat, but this is going to alienate legions of loyal flyers for a quick buck. As someone said up thread, if everyone's elite, no one is elite.

One maddening data point for you all to ponder...Booked 3 weeks out, selected aisle seat in MCE on a 738 (regular-not Oasis). Checked in, checked bags, went to AC and was checking status in the app. Seat changed to last row, middle seat. No MCE available for DFW-EWR. Checked with the AAgents and got shoulder shrugs and "sorry, seats aren't guaranteed." Checked again at the gate...nothing available. That stings for a Pro who was mired 35th on a 68 person upgrade list to not even get MCE after having it stripped away at T-1. I'm guessing it was a FAM, but I thought they always flew up front.

On the return EWR-DFW, the flight attendant mentioned there were over 30 EXP's on the flight.

#Goingforgreat
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MikeShores
3 years as a Plat and finally flying enough to earn Platinum Pro (which I did last year for the first time) and will likely fly enough this year to at least maintain Plat Pro...maybe even making a run at EXP...but this offer has me seething. ...
The offer is meant to give a taste of the premium cabins to masses of people in the hopes that some percentage will purchase it in the future. AA and the other airlines couldn’t be making the situation any clearer: Their goal is a 0% upgrade rate. It’s not an accident that, e.g., JetBlue doesn’t upgrade anyone for free.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.