Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA status challenge offer / targeted promo through May 2019

AA status challenge offer / targeted promo through May 2019

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 8, 19, 2:40 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Status Challenge promotional (targeted) offer

Courtesy of eyi: Sign into your account and look under promotions to see if you're targeted.

Must sign up prior to travel. Ends 15 May 2019.

Courtesy of Pedro M:

“You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status through May 15, 2019, where you'll experience all the benefits of Gold status. Plus, elevate your experience with ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.

Want to keep Gold status or earn an even higher status through January 2020?
Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and May 15, 2019.

Elite status level - EQMs needed - EQDs needed

Gold 25,000 7,000 $3,000 $850

Platinum 50,000 12,500 $6,000 $1,500

Platinum Pro 75,000 20,500 $9,000 $2,400

Executive Platinum 100,000 35,000 $15,000 $5,000”
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 9, 19, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by HiAperture View Post
There is no promo code, you log into your account and go to the promo page, you either have it or you don't.
Yes, there is, the Gold offer code is H119G (see image below), you can see it under terms and conditions. I want to know what the Platinum and Platinum Pro ones are.

Originally Posted by _kurt View Post
I received the offer for free Gold status (promo code H119G) as well as a free challenge to extend it to Jan 2020 if I earn 7,000 EQM and $850 EQD. I was an AA elite for many years but have been a free agent recently. I only have 5 segments on AA in the last year. All were paid domestic F.

My offer doesn't show the opportunity to reach higher status. I wonder if I can call to upgrade my challenge, or if they'll do it automatically if I reach the criteria? I'm not particularly excited about Gold but PLT or PLT Pro would be worth something to me.

Last edited by POAflyer; Jan 9, 19 at 9:44 am
Old Jan 9, 19, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by POAflyer View Post
Yes, there is, the Gold offer code is H119G (see image below), you can see it under terms and conditions. I want to know what the Platinum and Platinum Pro ones are.
OK fair enough. Genuinely curious what you hope to do with said information? It isn't like there is a place to input the code on the website. Hoping to call AAdvantage and see if they will honor the offer because you have the code? If that works let me know!
Old Jan 9, 19, 10:25 am

My husband got targeted for the Platinum Pro (no status prior but is an AAdvantage Citi cardholder) and has a paid economy flight booked though AA in early Feb. His brother (no status) is traveling with him. Both tickets booked on the same reservation. What does this mean for this flight and how will it count towards the challenge? They both also have another flight that was booked though AS using some leftover miles on his AS account (codeshare) that has both a AS and AA confirmation numbers. Will that one be void since it was booked through AS even though it's an AA flight?
Old Jan 9, 19, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dkc715 View Post
I wonder if they have intel on UAs elites. I am GS on United and this is the first time AA has reached out to me in 15 years. Wish the offer came years ago. I’m in too deep with United.
I'm wondering the same thing - I've been UA Plat for 3 years and 1K 3 years before that and just made 1K again.

I have flown AA twice in my life, both times on IRROPS from another airline.

Given Plat Pro, 20,000 EQM and $2,400 EQD to keep it.

But I don't see AA as better than UA in really any respect, so no desire to switch.
Old Jan 9, 19, 10:31 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by bosman View Post
You can use your Plat status to reserve an MCE seat for your May flights. Unless there are schedule changes after May 15, it is likely that they won't make you change your seat after you've lost status. If there are flight changes after May 15, you likely won't be able to rebook in MCE.

Regarding upgrades, it is possible that if you get upgraded at the 72 hour window for your May 16 flight (while you are still a Plat), they likely won't downgrade you. If the upgrade doesn't clear at the window and you try to upgrade at the airport, then you will be out of luck as a non-status pax. Similarly, I don't see much hope for your return.

So the MCE is a plus, regardless of upgrade.
So it seems like I might as well sign up and see what I can get. Any advantage to checking in on the 15th? Thanks.

Last edited by Cledaybuck; Jan 9, 19 at 11:21 am
Old Jan 9, 19, 10:35 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by POAflyer View Post

Here are the T&C I got in the e-mail for platinum:
This is an exclusive offer only for members who received a message directly from American Airlines. You must register by 11:59 p.m. CT January 25, 2019, and prior to travel in order for your Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to count toward this promotion. You can only participate in 1 elite status challenge at a time.

AAdvantage® Platinum offer through May 15, 2019
AAdvantage® Platinum status received through this offer is valid through May 15, 2019, and will be reflected in your account within 24 hours of registering for this promotion.

AAdvantage® Platinum offer through January 31, 2020
Travel completed before registration doesn't count toward this challenge. Eligible tickets include purchased, published fares flown between the date you register and May 15, 2019. Qualifying, eligible flights must be operated by American Airlines or marketed by American Airlines, American Eagle® service, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines. Flights marketed and/or operated by codeshare partners not listed above aren't eligible for this promotion. Bonus EQDs and EQMs don't count toward this offer. After you reach the required thresholds, your elite-status membership benefits will be extended immediately through January 31, 2020. You must requalify for AAdvantage® elite status membership annually.

Elite Qualification

500-mile Upgrades offer

Your 500-mile upgrades will be deposited into your AAdvantage® account within 72 hours of registering for this promotion. Standard 500-mile upgrade Terms and Conditions apply.

500-mile upgrade Terms and Conditions

This email has been sent on behalf of American Airlines. We are happy to help you with any questions or concerns you may have. For all inquiries about American Airlines or the AAdvantage® program, visit aa.com/contactaa or contact us in writing at American Airlines, 4255 Amon Carter Blvd., MD 2400, Fort Worth, TX 76155-2503.

American Airlines reserves the right to change the AAdvantage® program and its terms and conditions at any time without notice, and to end the AAdvantage program with six months notice. Any such changes may affect your ability to use the awards or mileage credits that you have accumulated. Unless specified, AAdvantage miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count towards elite status qualification or AAdvantage Million MilerSM status. American Airlines is not responsible for products or services offered by other participating companies. For complete details about the AAdvantage program, visit aa.com/aadvantage.

Travel booked on American Airlines may be American Eagle® service, operated by Compass Airlines, LLC, Envoy Air Inc., ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., Mesa Airlines, Inc., PSA Airlines, Inc., Piedmont Airlines, Inc., or Trans States Airlines, LLC.

American Airlines, American Eagle, AAdvantage, AAdvantage Million Miler, MileSAAver, Business Extra, Flagship, Admirals Club, Platinum Pro, the Flight Symbol logo and the Tail Design are marks of American Airlines, Inc.
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Southwest A-List/Companion Pass
Because the Admirals Clubs have clearly not been crowded enough in recent months...
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran767 View Post
Because the Admirals Clubs have clearly not been crowded enough in recent months...
Will this make a difference? As far as I understand it, the only lounges that will have any increased usage are SFO/LAX/JFK, right?
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, UA Silver, DL Plat (challenge), Marr LTTitanium, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
So it seems like I might as well sign up and see what I can get. Any advantage to checking in on the 15th? Thanks.
Regarding checking in on the 15th, generally speaking if one doesn't get upgraded at the window, it goes to day of departure at the airport, so on the 16th you no longer will be a Plat and won't be upgraded.
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:58 pm
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Plus, seems that those who got the offer didn't travel that much.

My mother got the email, she mainly flies B6 and had 6 AA segments last year. While she got the Plat Pro email, I doubt she will change her travel path to earn a status she might not fully use.
Old Jan 9, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott, Unlimited Bang-ability
Originally Posted by HiAperture View Post
I don't know why people are surprised to receive the offer who don't fly on AA much. That is entirely the point of the offer, to entice you back to AA with premium status for a low bar.
My point of reference is DL, which has gotten 90%+ of my flying over the last decade and where I formerly had status for two years. They have never targeted me for a challenge and are not known to do anything so broad as the offer we are discussing here. It is instructive, then, that AA is willing to extend challenges to such occasional flyers.
Old Jan 9, 19, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
Plus, seems that those who got the offer didn't travel that much.

My mother got the email, she mainly flies B6 and had 6 AA segments last year. While she got the Plat Pro email, I doubt she will change her travel path to earn a status she might not fully use.
I fly AA once or twice a year, got the Plat Pro email as well. I'm somewhat interested in keeping the status, but having to change my travel (and realistically, invent some for the EQM), doesn't seem worth it for an extra 8 months. If it was until 2020, like it would be if I had earned it naturally, I'd probably reconsider.
Old Jan 9, 19, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zelucifer View Post
I fly AA once or twice a year, got the Plat Pro email as well. I'm somewhat interested in keeping the status, but having to change my travel (and realistically, invent some for the EQM), doesn't seem worth it for an extra 8 months. If it was until 2020, like it would be if I had earned it naturally, I'd probably reconsider.
This is clearly an attempt to poach elites.

A big obstacle to switching elite programs is the time you have to spend with little to no status in the new program before you qualify.

By giving the status right off the bat, and letting you keep it for the whole year if it looks like you're on your way after the start of the year, AA has eliminated that pain point.

But if you don't end up flying enough this year to organically make the status for next year, they didn't convert you, so no reason to let you hang onto the status for another year. (Basically, if you're going for Exec Plat, they want to make you move your business THIS year, not make a challenge this year and then not have to actually move your business until next year.)

I still come back to the problem that I can't think of any area in which AA is better than UA. If I thought AA was better or maybe even comparable this is a great offer to switch... but since they're not, it isn't.
Old Jan 9, 19, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post

I still come back to the problem that I can't think of any area in which AA is better than UA. If I thought AA was better or maybe even comparable this is a great offer to switch... but since they're not, it isn't.
Agreed. The most useful thing for me is AA waiving the close in booking fee for award travel, but other than that I prefer my United status.
Old Jan 9, 19, 4:14 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
I was gold, then made platinum on a challenge. I wwasn't able to keep my status once the instituted EQD's (lot's of cheap coast to coast flights) I switched most of my flying to B6 and WN.

I received an equivalent of the gold offer back in late October, it was for 3 month from the time I signed on in early December. By coincidence I had already booked a November flight to PHX so I jumped on the offer Unfortunately I'll be one flight away from meeting the challenge when it expires on 2/2 and I have no time to do a mileage run.

It did get me to spend more on AA while tI had the status.

Search this Thread