Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

View Poll Results: I have received an interim status offer + challenge and am
taking advantage of this offer and will take up the challenge too
60.00%
using my interim status but wont attempt a challenge
20.00%
ignoring this offer - its just not for me
15.00%
Other: please post below
5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Status Challenge promotional (targeted) offer

Courtesy of eyi: Sign into your account and look under promotions to see if you're targeted.

Must sign up prior to travel. Ends 15 May 2019.

Courtesy of Pedro M:

You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage Gold status through May 15, 2019, where you'll experience all the benefits of Gold status. Plus, elevate your experience with ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering no strings attached.

Want to keep Gold status or earn an even higher status through January 2020?
Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and May 15, 2019.

Elite status level - EQMs needed - EQDs needed

Gold 25,000 7,000 $3,000 $850

Platinum 50,000 12,500 $6,000 $1,500

Platinum Pro 75,000 20,500 $9,000 $2,400

Executive Platinum 100,000 35,000 $15,000 $5,000

There is now second targeted promotional.
Based on reports here, it requires travel by 25 Sep 2019, and provides status through Jan 2021.
Print Wikipost

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
The Hyatt offer will disappear from your AA account if you register for the one sent out this week.
soartoday likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by mangoMan
My teenage daughter got the Platinum Pro offer. We have zero travel planned for her on AA (or partners) before the status expiration on Sep 25th. I can't see any benefit in signing her up for the offer. I am wondering if by NOT signing up, there's a better chance she'll receive the offer again down the road where we may have some AA travel planned. Thoughts?
I have a family member that was offered the last promotion earlier this year, did not take it, and was offered the current promotion now. So I would say yes, there is a good chance she will be targeted again.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by HiAperture
I have a family member that was offered the last promotion earlier this year, did not take it, and was offered the current promotion now. So I would say yes, there is a good chance she will be targeted again.
Thanks for that data point. Can't see any advantage to signing her up, so maybe she'll get the offer again some day in the not so distant future.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Wyndham DM, Bonvoy Gold, National Exec, Hertz Gold
AA Free Gold Status

So, this may already exist in another thread... but thought I'd share in case it isn't.

Got an email on June 4th from AA -- "Travel free with AAdvantage Gold Status"

"You've been exclusively selected to receive complimentary American Airlines AAdvantage Gold status through September 25, 2019. Plus, we'll give you ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering no strings attached. Register before you travel and no later than June 25, 2019"

When I reviewed the terms, if I spend $850 in EQD by September 25th -- or fly 7,000 EQM by then -- I get gold status thru 2020.

Anyone receive this email? Was kind of surprised that AA would kind of give Gold status away (for whatever it's worth.... hooray for an upgrade a year if lucky)...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Jagger3939
So, this may already exist in another thread... but thought I'd share in case it isn't.

"You've been exclusively selected to receive complimentary American Airlines AAdvantage Gold status through September 25, 2019. Plus, we'll give you ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering no strings attached. Register before you travel and no later than June 25, 2019"

When I reviewed the terms, if I spend $850 in EQD by September 25th -- or fly 7,000 EQM by then -- I get gold status thru 2020.

Anyone receive this email? Was kind of surprised that AA would kind of give Gold status away (for whatever it's worth.... hooray for an upgrade a year if lucky)...
yes there is a thread out there about these gifted statuses for gold, plat ,and Plat pro. I don't recall the gold benefits off hand but I think you get MCE free of charge at T-24?

I wouldn't expect an upgrade. You'll be 155 on the list
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Wyndham DM, Bonvoy Gold, National Exec, Hertz Gold
  • Complimentary auto-requested upgrades on flights 500 miles or less*
  • 24-hour upgrade window
  • 40% elite mileage bonus
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra Seats at check-in+
  • Complimentary Preferred Seats*
  • 1 free checked bag
Yeah I'm not holding my breath on the upgrade
Just was surprised to see the offer, especially since I thought AA was already to "flooded" with "non-elite, elites"
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Jagger3939

This has been reported a few times. Well merge into the existing thread.

See What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Is it correct that miles and segments flown on Cathay Pacific and other Oneworld partners flights do not count towards to EQMs and EQS under this promotion even if the entire EQD is spent on AA, BA, JL and Finnar?

I may be able to spend and meet the EQD requirements by interim deadline but not EQM and EQS if other Oneworld flights are not counted.

Can someone confirm the above is correct?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Is it correct that miles and segments flown on Cathay Pacific and other Oneworld partners flights do not count towards to EQMs and EQS under this promotion even if the entire EQD is spent on AA, BA, JL and Finnar?

I may be able to spend and meet the EQD requirements by interim deadline but not EQM and EQS if other Oneworld flights are not counted.

Can someone confirm the above is correct?
Seems like it.

From an e-mail AA sent me:

Flights are only eligible if they are operated by an eligible carrier
and the flight number starts with one of the eligible carrier's
two-letter airline code.
So for instance, even if you flew a CX codeshare on JL metal, or vice versa, it wouldn't count under the terms of this challenge.

EDIT: I should say, this was the terms for my 1K -> EXP challenge. It might (although I'm fairly certain it wouldn't) differ for other status levels. (Any chance of them giving you Concierge Key on account of your UA GS status?)
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: Soon to be free agent...
So I am currently on the Hyatt EXP challenge (same requirements as this one) and just wanted to see if anyone had a confirming data point. I emailed and got assurance that a JL operated/marketed flight qualifies; my intention is to use the Amex IAP program to buy the ticket, which will save about 10% and all segments book into X. There isn’t some strange quirk of the IAP program that would invalidate challenge earnings is there?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JMBResona
Seems like it.

From an e-mail AA sent me:

So for instance, even if you flew a CX codeshare on JL metal, or vice versa, it wouldn't count under the terms of this challenge.

EDIT: I should say, this was the terms for my 1K -> EXP challenge. It might (although I'm fairly certain it wouldn't) differ for other status levels. (Any chance of them giving you Concierge Key on account of your UA GS status?)
That is likely incorrect. JL operated by CX would most likely count. CX operated by CX or JL would certainly not.

Theres no chance AA will grant you CK on the basis of UA GS, but see the Concierge Key thread here and feel free to inquire at AA - Sales make that decision, and its by invitation, by prepurchasing ~$60-70k of Travel or other unrevealed criteria such as influencer of travel, etc.

Originally Posted by aabrock2187
So I am currently on the Hyatt EXP challenge (same requirements as this one) and just wanted to see if anyone had a confirming data point. I emailed and got assurance that a JL operated/marketed flight qualifies; my intention is to use the Amex IAP program to buy the ticket, which will save about 10% and all segments book into X. There isnt some strange quirk of the IAP program that would invalidate challenge earnings is there?
Challenges normally include EQM and EQD on flights marketed by AA joint business partners AA, AY, BA, IB, JL on qualifying flights (operated by oneworld airlines, etc.) Variably, QF. Whose ticket stock is used is immaterial; its the fare class and method of calculating EQD that matters.

Consult the JL earning page on aa.com to see exactly how fare class X earns.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 16, 2019 at 12:24 pm
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Soon to be free agent...
Thanks for the info; I think my main question is that AA doesn’t treat an Amex IAP fare differently for some reason. I have no reason to expect that they do, but was hoping to hear from someone who had used one and gotten all appropriate EQMs/EQDs, specifically during a challenge.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I recently accepted the Plat offer that was mailed to me. I signed up on the AA website under promos - where the same info was found. It had something about segments (10?) or 12.5k EQM's and $1k EQDs. About a week later the terms are no longer posted. Rather a status tracker is in it's place. But it now shows only EQM's (no segments) and the EQD's are now showing $1.5k.

Does anybody have a pic or screenshot of the same offer?

Thank you!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:14 am

Does anyone know if I'll get credit for a flight I booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards on the day I registered for the challenge? Trying to calculate for the challenge, and was wondering if I'd get credit for that flight. Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by adam3313
Does anyone know if I'll get credit for a flight I booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards on the day I registered for the challenge? Trying to calculate for the challenge, and was wondering if I'd get credit for that flight. Thanks!
Flights are credited for EQM/EQD based on when they are completed, not when they are purchased, I can't see why the status challenge would change that. If you are taking the trip(s) you have planned in the period of the status challenge you are good. ANY flights you are purchasing during the challenge period but not completing during that period would not count.
adam3313 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.