Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: I have received an interim status offer + challenge and am
taking advantage of this offer and will take up the challenge too
60.00%
using my interim status but won’t attempt a challenge
20.00%
ignoring this offer - it’s just not for me
15.00%
Other: please post below
5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Status Challenge promotional (targeted) offer

Courtesy of eyi: Sign into your account and look under promotions to see if you're targeted.

Must sign up prior to travel. Ends 15 May 2019.

Courtesy of Pedro M:

“You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status through May 15, 2019, where you'll experience all the benefits of Gold status. Plus, elevate your experience with ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.

Want to keep Gold status or earn an even higher status through January 2020?
Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and May 15, 2019.

Elite status level - EQMs needed - EQDs needed

Gold 25,000 7,000 $3,000 $850

Platinum 50,000 12,500 $6,000 $1,500

Platinum Pro 75,000 20,500 $9,000 $2,400

Executive Platinum 100,000 35,000 $15,000 $5,000”

There is now second targeted promotional.
Based on reports here, it requires travel by 25 Sep 2019, and provides status through Jan 2021.
Print Wikipost

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Basically, AA is sending out a variation of this offer to everyone with a pulse. Presumably to stem the losses of those fleeing due to MEX slow down?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by joe_miami
There's little evidence this is true re: AA and these status offers. The last times AA has sent these out, people have reported, e.g., spouses and kids who fly once per year being targeted. The two biggest groups in these threads seem to be people who don't have status on any airline and people who have higher-level status elsewhere and have little use for AA's gifted status/challenge.

It seems like AA is trying to give a taste of flying upfront to infrequent travelers, with the hopes that those people will pay for J in the future. (As we all know, it's tough to go back to E after getting used to J.)

Anyway, maybe we should do a poll to see how many people have switched to AA, or even flown AA more often, as a result of receiving free status via one of these offers.
OK. Done.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Just sent a tweet to AA. Looks like the promo says operated "OR" marketed, but the T&C's state "AND" which is a huge material discrepancy.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
Just sent a tweet to AA. Looks like the promo says operated "OR" marketed, but the T&C's state "AND" which is a huge material discrepancy.
That's exactly what I meant in my post a few posts ago. Please report back what they say. Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by pointsifu
That's exactly what I meant in my post a few posts ago. Please report back what they say. Thanks!
Twitter replied via DM - that it can be earned operated by AA OR marketed by one of the qualifying airlines. That's a huge change and great news!
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Not really a change; it's the same as the other recent challenges, including the ones for Hyatt. But obviously good to have the clarification.
JDiver, JonNYC and TravelLawyer like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
Twitter replied via DM - that it can be earned operated by AA OR marketed by one of the qualifying airlines. That's a huge change and great news!
Thanks TravelLawyer! So it means we can fly on a ticket operated and marketed by BA, for example, and that will still earn the qualifying EQM and EQD, right?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

All done and accepteed

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jun 5, 2019 at 2:20 pm Reason: add caption
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by pointsifu
Thanks TravelLawyer! So it means we can fly on a ticket operated and marketed by BA, for example, and that will still earn the qualifying EQM and EQD, right?
Yes, that’s what I’m getting from this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For regular challenges, one can earn EQ on:

All AA marketed flights, regardless of operating airline

All AA, AY, BA, IB and JL marketed flights operated by oneworld airlines (JBV partners) (some JL not operated by oneworld, presumably, but there might be some risk.

I’d request clarification and document that.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a
I got a similar offer. Details as follows:
Travel with free AAdvantage® Platinum status through September 25, 2019. Plus, you’ll receive 20 complimentary 500-mile upgrades when you register by June 25, 2019.

Keep your status through January 31, 2021, by earning:

• $1,500 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) and
  • 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)
Absolutely accepted and will plan to meet the challenge - not to hard in my opinion. Been thinking about leaving UA and this helps give me a taste of what AA is really like.
Same offer. Does anyone know if the 10,000 EQM from $40,000 spend on the Citi/Aadvantage World Elite Master would count towards the 12,500? Haven't gotten to 40,000 but could reach by end of August. So EQM would be credited during the challenge time period.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
It won't count, unless there's a glitch.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:00 pm

Just booked a ticket on BA.com from SFO to BCN in premium economy in Sept for under $900. The outbound flight (SFO-JFK-BCN) is operated by AA, and return flight (BCN-LHR-SFO) is operated by BA. All flights show BA flight numbers.
Will the EQM and EQD earned form this ticket count towards the challenge? It should be enough to meet the Platinum challenge.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by MrRob
I never seem to get lucky enough to get this offer.

Meanwhile 7 flights later I'm still toiling away desperately trying to get to gold status. But it's only about a month into the new job where I'm traveling around once a week so it will come at some point this year. It would just be real nice to at least be able to check a bag for free.
Have you traveled every week for work, and is it a route(s) where another carrier with an equivalent program competes with AA ? Perhaps if you establish a consistent history, you may contact AA to have them consider you for a challenge, independent of the effort described in this thread.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:11 pm

Free Plat Status for some lucky members

Just a heads up, I usually delete all emails/promos but
I just received an email which states the following

"You've been exclusively selected to receive complimentary American Airlines AAdvantage® Platinum status through September 25, 2019. Plus, we'll give you twenty 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.

Register before you travel and no later than June 25, 2019."

I registered and the PLAT was reflected on my account within a few minutes.
The subject of the email was "mynamehere, here's free Platinum status"

Last edited by oyouno; Jun 6, 2019 at 3:12 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.