Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: I have received an interim status offer + challenge and am
taking advantage of this offer and will take up the challenge too
60.00%
using my interim status but won’t attempt a challenge
20.00%
ignoring this offer - it’s just not for me
15.00%
Other: please post below
5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Status Challenge promotional (targeted) offer

Courtesy of eyi: Sign into your account and look under promotions to see if you're targeted.

Must sign up prior to travel. Ends 15 May 2019.

Courtesy of Pedro M:

“You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status through May 15, 2019, where you'll experience all the benefits of Gold status. Plus, elevate your experience with ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.

Want to keep Gold status or earn an even higher status through January 2020?
Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and May 15, 2019.

Elite status level - EQMs needed - EQDs needed

Gold 25,000 7,000 $3,000 $850

Platinum 50,000 12,500 $6,000 $1,500

Platinum Pro 75,000 20,500 $9,000 $2,400

Executive Platinum 100,000 35,000 $15,000 $5,000”

There is now second targeted promotional.
Based on reports here, it requires travel by 25 Sep 2019, and provides status through Jan 2021.
Print Wikipost

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joeyE
i.e. they get more return for every marketing dollar invested in chasing new customers then they do chasing existing customers.
Given that there are only a few major airlines, I suppose this could be true, but as a general matter, it's much cheaper to keep current customers than it is to gain new ones.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Given that there are only a few major airlines, I suppose this could be true, but as a general matter, it's much cheaper to keep current customers than it is to gain new ones.
Oh, no doubt. That's marketing 101.
Point is, It seems AA thinks they don't have to invest much to keep said current customers. In fact, their actions point to decreasing the spend on current customers....
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by joeyE
Oh, no doubt. That's marketing 101.
Point is, It seems AA thinks they don't have to invest much to keep said current customers. In fact, their actions point to decreasing the spend on current customers....
Of course they do. They are fat and happy. Remember their CEO said they will never lose money again. AA could care less about customer's satisfaction and on board experience. It's a bus in the sky these days just about for every airline although AA is operationally the bottom of the barrel compared to others.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I hit the required amounts for Platinum on Aug 23rd but am still showing status only through Sep 25th instead of 2020. I'm hanging on hope that it'll update on it's own instead of having to call someone to fix it.
I had a few glitches in having AA recognize that I successfully completed this challenge, so you may well have to call Aadvantage customer service.

I hit the Plat requirements on this promotion on September 24. My EQM and EQD from my qualifying trip posted today (September 27) but the website did not automatically reflect my Platinum status. I had to call AAdvantage Customer Service to manually extend my Platinum status, which they were very willing to do. Then, the app showed the new Plat status but only to January 2020. So I had to call again to have them manually extend the Plat status to January 2021, per the promotion. They were very nice about it.

That said, it was well worth it to have the interim Platinum status and earn the award miles bonus and have international lounge access for the qualifying trip. I did it on a single international itinerary booked with British Airways LAX-LHR-CDG-CLT-LAX.

I will note that it was difficult to determine the booking classes when trying to book through BA. I found the flights through Google flights and called BA to book it. I couldn't see the booking classes on the BA website and the BA agent gave me incorrect information about the booking classes (saying all four segments were in fare class T in Premium Economy, when in fact the ticket that was issued was Premium Economy (T) for only LAX-LHR and CDG-CLT, with the other two shorter segments in Economy (LHR-CDG was S on British Airways and CLT-LAX was Q on AA)) and also gave incorrect information about whether the flights were marketed by BA or AA (saying all four segments were "marketed by" BA, when the ticket that came through had 3 out of 4 BA flight numbers and one AA flight number). Perhaps others know how to be certain on fare class and marketing carrier before booking, but my way was just to see what came through on the E-ticket once I got my email confirmation from BA.

One pleasant surprise benefit was the 500 EQM minimum guarantee that came through on the LHR-CDG portion, which only earned 108 base miles under the partner earning rate for BA S Economy class. If I had understood all the rules and booking class/marketing carrier better, perhaps I would have gone for the Platinum Pro levels, but as it was I am happy to be Platinum through 2021 and appreciate all the information that has been posted here.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Cheynewalk
I had a few glitches in having AA recognize that I successfully completed this challenge, so you may well have to call Aadvantage customer service.

I was worried there as the promo end date came and the status expiration date didn't update, especially with the bulk of my miles coming from a segment that should not have generated MQDs and MQMs. But the day after the promo ended my expiration date updated to 1/31/21 and I received a "welcome to platinum" email the day after.

I was only about $600 and 3k miles away from Platinum Pro but I don't see myself flying enough AA next year to get enough benefit from the Pro level that would warrant some sort of mileage run.

One small datapoint that this promotion is working is the fact that I may fly AA voluntarily next year, without the status it would have only been when the lowest logical airfare rules dictate that I do.
Cheynewalk likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:47 pm

Has anyone had success getting a challenge if not explicitly offered it initially? Any advice?

I received two of these offers this year but don't have one at the moment, and now I'll be needing to fly to Dallas every week for work. I'm Plat on United and formerly Exec Plat 2014-2016
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by nautikal
Has anyone had success getting a challenge if not explicitly offered it initially? Any advice?

You can request a status challenge at any time but you'll need to pay a couple hundred dollars for it. Just call Advantage Customer Service. The thread for that is here: HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.