Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: I have received an interim status offer + challenge and am
taking advantage of this offer and will take up the challenge too
60.00%
using my interim status but won’t attempt a challenge
20.00%
ignoring this offer - it’s just not for me
15.00%
Other: please post below
5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Status Challenge promotional (targeted) offer

Courtesy of eyi: Sign into your account and look under promotions to see if you're targeted.

Must sign up prior to travel. Ends 15 May 2019.

Courtesy of Pedro M:

“You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status through May 15, 2019, where you'll experience all the benefits of Gold status. Plus, elevate your experience with ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.

Want to keep Gold status or earn an even higher status through January 2020?
Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and May 15, 2019.

Elite status level - EQMs needed - EQDs needed

Gold 25,000 7,000 $3,000 $850

Platinum 50,000 12,500 $6,000 $1,500

Platinum Pro 75,000 20,500 $9,000 $2,400

Executive Platinum 100,000 35,000 $15,000 $5,000”

There is now second targeted promotional.
Based on reports here, it requires travel by 25 Sep 2019, and provides status through Jan 2021.
Print Wikipost

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Global Entry
is it ok that i'm chuckling at "free MCE at t-24?"
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Post deleted- realized I had misread an earlier post

Last edited by whimsey21; Jun 4, 2019 at 7:04 pm
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got got this too. I also got my free Platinum offer from being Globalist at Hyatt.

If I do the Gold promo I get 6 500-mile upgrades

Do I keep them when I lose my status?

If so, do I need to regain status in order to use them?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by flyinggum
is it ok that i'm chuckling at "free MCE at t-24?"
Hey, expand on this...I’m gonna be gold in 2 weeks & I was looking forward to this...
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by Often1
...the free stickers simply mean there are more people competing for the same number of F seats.
I’ll assume it’s a zero-sum game as there’s a bunch of AA folks that DL is trying to woo as well..
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joeyE

Hey, expand on this...I’m gonna be gold in 2 weeks & I was looking forward to this...
I'm guessing its because there's often not many MCE seats left at T-24 and those that are will mostly be middle seats. That said, keep watch as if upgrades clear you could possibly end up with a decent MCE seat.

Originally Posted by B747forever
Just got offered AA Platinum Pro for free. Registered, and it worked. Could select MCE seats for our upcoming trip LAX-OGG-LAX. Thanks AA for those 10x free MCE seats!

A question on lounge access, I know that on domestic flights as an AA elite flyer there is no access to AA's own lounges. However, is there access to the Oneworld lounge at LAX?
Nice score for 10 MCE seats, great timing for you on that! No to OW lounges unless on an International itn (excluding CAN, Mexico (outside MEX), and Caribbean)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:33 pm

I never seem to get lucky enough to get this offer.

Meanwhile 7 flights later I'm still toiling away desperately trying to get to gold status. But it's only about a month into the new job where I'm traveling around once a week so it will come at some point this year. It would just be real nice to at least be able to check a bag for free.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Received the email today with an offer for Platinum Pro until September 25. Last flew AA in December 2017 on a one-way award flight and before that on a same-day roundtrip (morning outbound: award reduced mileage ticket, evening return: paid F revenue ticket) and before that it had been a while although I have the credit card because I have had the card since 1995 when it was a NationsBank USAir Visa card and it's followed its way along and I flew lots of US through the years and earned status a few times. AA matched my CO/UA status back in 2012 when they were matching everyone's status for a little while. Being near CLE for quite a while now, I have earned status on CO and then UA mainly out of convenience even after the de-hubbing. I have no idea why I would have been selected for so high a level of status in this promotion; I am Gold on United currently and should make Platinum by the end of 2019 which would be good through 1/31/21. Platinum Pro on AA through the same time would be nice to have as well but I don't know if I will manage to make the challenge. I have Discoverist through the Hyatt credit card and connected my AA and Hyatt accounts; could that have triggered something?
Gold or Platinum seems to be a more reasonable level to offer than Platinum Pro good for a year and a half, especially with the challenge that was offered (2400 EQD/20,000 EQM by 9/25). They are being rather generous, it seems.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAzip
I have Discoverist through the Hyatt credit card and connected my AA and Hyatt accounts; could that have triggered something?
Unlikely, as the challenges being offered to Hyatt elites can start as late as Sept. 30.

Interestingly (and disappointingly), the terms of those challenges are worse — e.g., yesterday's freebies require only $4,000 EQD for EXP while the Hyatt challenges require $5,000 EQD.
kauppias likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:05 am

Received the free Platinum challenge offer. Based on the terms below, does it mean the flights have to be operated by AA to count towards the challenge? It looks different than the paid challenge as that can be earned through one of the JV partners (BA, IB, AY, and JL). Anyone knows if that really is the case?

It's a lot easier to find a good PE deal on BA to earn the EQD needed for the challenge.

AAdvantage® Platinum offer through January 31, 2021
Travel completed before registration doesn't count toward this challenge. Eligible tickets include purchased, published fares flown between the date you register and September 25, 2019. Qualifying, eligible flights must be operated by American Airlines and marketed by American Airlines, American Eagle® service, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia or Japan Airlines. Flights marketed and/or operated by codeshare partners not listed above aren't eligible for this promotion. Bonus EQDs and EQMs don't count toward this offer. After you reach the required thresholds, your elite-status membership benefits will be extended immediately through January 31, 2021, and you will receive your new membership credentials within 4 to 6 weeks. You must requalify for AAdvantage® elite status membership annually.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Offered Platinum Pro For No Reason

I am AA Gold, but yesterday I received an e-mail offering me Platinum Pro with "no strings attached". I thought it was a come on, but registered anyhow. I went to my AA account and my status had changed to Platinum Pro. I only have three short flights planned, I wish I had some international travel planned. Anyone else get this offer, and why did I ?????
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA is doing many of these targetted offers to Gold, Plt, and Plt. Pro. AA has a lot of data about you and it is not simply about what you have booked. This represents AA's view that if it sweetens the pot for you a bit, you may spend more. It does not cost AA anything to do this, so it's marketing people have an easy decision.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: AA PPro
Again already? I am just going to status match to Delta before my gold expires and maybe then American will send me one of these offers once I am not, you know, actually spending money with them!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
AA is doing many of these targetted offers to Gold, Plt, and Plt. Pro. AA has a lot of data about you and it is not simply about what you have booked. ...
There's little evidence this is true re: AA and these status offers. The last times AA has sent these out, people have reported, e.g., spouses and kids who fly once per year being targeted. The two biggest groups in these threads seem to be people who don't have status on any airline and people who have higher-level status elsewhere and have little use for AA's gifted status/challenge.

It seems like AA is trying to give a taste of flying upfront to infrequent travelers, with the hopes that those people will pay for J in the future. (As we all know, it's tough to go back to E after getting used to J.)

Anyway, maybe we should do a poll to see how many people have switched to AA, or even flown AA more often, as a result of receiving free status via one of these offers.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I got a similar offer. Details as follows:
Travel with free AAdvantage® Platinum status through September 25, 2019. Plus, you’ll receive 20 complimentary 500-mile upgrades when you register by June 25, 2019.

Keep your status through January 31, 2021, by earning:

• $1,500 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) and
  • 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)
Absolutely accepted and will plan to meet the challenge - not to hard in my opinion. Been thinking about leaving UA and this helps give me a taste of what AA is really like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.