Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K; and a bunch of hotel statuses
Lus dba aa

Originally Posted by sensei
Seat maps with new config were just loaded for late May 2019. J20 W28 as feared.

Deja Vu --> LUS A330 J Cabin
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by terryversay
Lus dba aa

Right, because LUS would have installed PE. Which - regardless of what happens with SWUs and the size of J cabins - is a good thing to have, IMO.

The current airline is neither LUS nor LAA. The seeming need of this forum to have LAA vs LUS whinging in every thread is pretty tiresome and pointless.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I'm pretty confident to guess AA will start refitting the 788's in late November. This would put the 20 of them on the same schedule that they did with the 77Ws... which went from Dec to early May.

Really, this is not a surprise. It's particularly bad for ORD-based flyers, as the 788 has the most routes ex-ORD.

Though upgrades will be harder, look to the A330's for comparison. I've been able to use SWU on those pretty frequently.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by econometrics
I'm pretty confident to guess AA will start refitting the 788's in late November. This would put the 20 of them on the same schedule that they did with the 77Ws... which went from Dec to early May.

Really, this is not a surprise. It's particularly bad for ORD-based flyers, as the 788 has the most routes ex-ORD.

Though upgrades will be harder, look to the A330's for comparison. I've been able to use SWU on those pretty frequently.
Confirmed at booking? For leisure travel, that's a must for me.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
Confirmed at booking? For leisure travel, that's a must for me.
That's become less and less of a possibility over the past years, even on a 10pm Tuesday night to LHR with 52 J seats on the 77W.

But, I have cleared a few A330 SWU's at booking, yes.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
That's become less and less of a possibility over the past years, even on a 10pm Tuesday night to LHR with 52 J seats on the 77W.

Great point! Cleared at booking? When? How? Must be Shena! Who do you know on “the inside”? Lol.

Might be in the minority here, but a smaller J cabin definitely incentivizes me to purchase PE seats for non-J leisure travel. It’s a great backstop to being stuck in Y and for about 1/3 of the J price, I’ll take it.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm travelling on Xmas day this year to get a SWU to clear at booking. Amazing RT fare however, so I might do it again in 2019, we'll see how Paris is on January 2.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Two things are becoming clear:
1) AA wants J to be filled with mostly paid passengers.
2) AA expects introducing PE would cause a drop in J bookings, especially on daytime flights.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Austin787
Two things are becoming clear:
1) AA wants J to be filled with mostly paid passengers.
2) AA expects introducing PE would cause a drop in J bookings, especially on daytime flights.
3) Parker and gang are not alone in downsizing J in order to match paid capacity. In fact I'd argue Delta has gone much farther than AA in pairing down J in order to sell J seats rather than fill the seats with SWUs.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My hunch is that ultimately SWUs will be restricted to upgrade from Y to PE or PE to J. The days of the freebies are slowly coming to an end.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
My hunch is that ultimately SWUs will be restricted to upgrade from Y to PE or PE to J. The days of the freebies are slowly coming to an end.
I agree completely. I only hope that this isn't announced mid-year like when AA did the Golds dirty and announced an end to discount MCE bookings...
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA

Totally agree with you, this is terrible for ORD flyers. I wonder if they'll up-gauge ORDLHR to 787-9 since there was some chatter from the network planning guy that they wanted to add capacity but didn't have slots.

Also, totally agree with 52J LHR being not enough. A few days ago I could not clear SWU on 787-8 to ORD so I routed through DFW and was told that all 3 77W's that day were oversold in J. Ended up going through Miami.

This is also terrible news for ORD-NRT -- who the hell wants to spend 13 hours in some laz-y-boy... guess I have to route through LAX or DFW now.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I am pretty sure this is coming at the expense of MCE too. Simple math says you can't have 60" of pitch in two rows of the current seats and replace them with four rows of 38" pitch without something else giving.

If you look at the AA.com seat map it is all sorts of messed up currently:
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:47 am

Am about to book some PE flights with AA. I am BA Silver. Anyone know answers to the following

Are AA PE tickets upgradable to business with Avios
Is it better for me to book through AA or though BA

Thank you
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Quick question. Back in May, I had a flight booked LHR-JFK and was seated in PE as MCE. Unfortunately I had to cancel that trip due to injury, but I'm looking to book something similar for late September. From reading this thread, a lot has moved on since then, with the entire 77W fleet converted to include PE and PE being sold on more routes. However, my question is, are there ANY routes left EU-US and vice versa where one can still fly in PE as MCE? I'm London-based but am flexible and can consider any origin / destination that AA flies direct between the EU and the US. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.