Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ralphs
Is it possible to book award travel on AA PE metal through other oneworld airlines? I understand that AA does not offer PE awards itself, but I do know that you can get PE awards on BA, CX, etc. I am not sure if I can, for example, purchase a CX PE award on AA metal PE LAX-HKG.

If there's a better thread to discuss this in, please let me know.
Good question and I'm not sure. But I would guess not; principally since if AA had an award bucket for PE assigned and bookable, it would likely be made available to AAdvantage members at least at the same time as to OW partners.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ralphs
Is it possible to book award travel on AA PE metal through other oneworld airlines? I understand that AA does not offer PE awards itself, but I do know that you can get PE awards on BA, CX, etc. I am not sure if I can, for example, purchase a CX PE award on AA metal PE LAX-HKG.

If there's a better thread to discuss this in, please let me know.

In short no. When AA changes it's award chart for PE then I'm sure you can do it then. I don't think it we much time to wait for this to happen.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
I thought, based on the time line chart, that all widebody aircraft were to have PE installed prior to the end of Q2 2018. Have the B788 aircraft received the PE cabin? Also, any word on if the A333 will receive PE since they are staying around longer?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:19 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by CLTRob
I thought, based on the time line chart, that all widebody aircraft were to have PE installed prior to the end of Q2 2018. Have the B788 aircraft received the PE cabin? Also, any word on if the A333 will receive PE since they are staying around longer?
788s and remaining 772s were postponed due to resizing of the J cabin. The hunch* here is the remaining 772s will restart after the summer travel season winds down given AA has decided on a game plan.

788s are up in the air at this point until AA decides how big they want the J cabin to be (20/24/keep 28) going forward.

No information for the A333s.

ETA - Forgot AA did confirm refitting will continue in the fall during the Analyst call. 772s seem definite, but no clue about 788s - potentially a bit later given the new fleetwide April 2019 target.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jul 5, 2018 at 3:13 pm
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by golfingboy
...788s are up in the air at this point until AA decides how big they want the J cabin to be (20/24/keep 28) going forward.
That was already decided several months ago.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:06 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That was already decided several months ago.
Neat - has the new 788 configuration been announced or shared externally?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Executive
I'm scheduled for December out of LAX to LHR and I booked PE. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I usually go BA but the AA price was a cheaper option.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I fly JFK-GRU-JFK regularly once or twice a month. I was always getting the benefit of sitting in the PE seats as an EXP before they started officially selling PE service on this route.

For my 6/28 flight JFK-GRU, PE service had just kicked in so I couldn’t chose a PE seat. I also could not check in online since this route requires agent to verify my travel visa to Brazil. At check in I asked the agent about the PE service and asked if I could chose a PE seat.
She said she couldn’t do it since it’s considered an upgrade, I told her I’d pay for it since I couldn’t bear the though of sitting in a main cabin seat. She tried twice and it still wouldn’t let her. Then on the third try, she was able to upgrade me for free.

On the return GRU-JFK, I was able to check in online thru the app 24 hours ahead and was offered the upgrade to PE for $0.

Is anyone else experiencing the free upgrades either with check in agent or online check in? Again, I’m executive platinum.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by allaroundtheworld21
On the return GRU-JFK, I was able to check in online thru the app 24 hours ahead and was offered the upgrade to PE for $0.
I've never been offered an upgrade through the AA app while checking in, that's cool.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by allaroundtheworld21
Is anyone else experiencing the free upgrades either with check in agent or online check in? Again, I’m executive platinum.
https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....my-upgrades-2/

But it gets better than that for American flyers. American will also offer complimentary day of departure upgrades from economy to premium economy for Concierge Key and Executive Platinum members. What’s not yet official is how these will be processed (i.e., whether you can pick any available premium economy seat 24 hours out, if there will be a waitlist cleared at the gate, etc.). As far as I know, this will make American the first airline to offer complimentary upgrades to international premium economy.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Um, the article is 1.5 years old... Recent experiences from others, i.e. the NRSA situation up thread suggest that this is no longer the case; in fact the opposite appears to be true: no way to UG from Y to PE. Probably best not to rely upon anything "complimentary" from AA or generosity from GAs...
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Seat maps with new config were just loaded for late May 2019. J20 W28 as feared.

Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:27 am

When are they looking to start the process for these? For some reason I was thinking it was fall. Having several flights later this year, with 6A already selected, I'd hate to get the short end of the stick.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by sensei
Seat maps with new config were just loaded for late May 2019. J20 W28 as feared.

Wow that is one tiny international business class cabin. Say goodbye to anyone getting upgraded to J with a SWU on this aircraft.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:45 am

Now that I'm thinking about it, if the seat maps were loaded for late May, and they were scheduling about 3 months to make the change, then it would seem that they won't start until after the first of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.