Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:42 am

Now we can see why the refits paused for a bit (not including holiday busy period). They were deciding on what to do on the 45J planes. A shame they didn’t end up making them all B/E seats. I get the cost factor, but if consistent experience were truly the goal than that is what they would have done. More Y seems to be the factor, so we’ll now end up with an even more confusing time trying to distinguish between zodiac and B/E seats where at least you knew what a 45J was going to be.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Whats considered a good PEY seat on the 777W for a sole traveler? Im on a summer 77W to LHR ex JFK and the PEY cabin is wide open. Ive got 17A owing to concerns about seating in the exit row. But perhaps the exit row (16) is fine in PEY?

Looking at the seat photos, it looks like they've basically put domestic first class seat into a 77W and are calling that PEY. OK, certainly better than the 10-across steerage class.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer

Looking at the seat photos, it looks like they've basically put domestic first class seat into a 77W and are calling that PEY. OK, certainly better than the 10-across steerage class.
Thats exactly what they did, and also added foot/leg rests.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Of course it’s better than coach.
And business class is better than premium economy. @:-)
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:53 pm

Flew on a 772 with PE, LAX to MIA. I usually sit in the window seat so I can lean my head against the window/wall to sleep but these seats are too far away to do that comfortably. Seat was comfortable otherwise and plenty of overhead bin space. Thankfully each seat has an AVOD, not dissimilar to the J seats I've sat in. I would choose an aisle seat next time.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Djokison

Thats exactly what they did, and also added foot/leg rests.

Not quite. I flew PE DFW to CDG last month and the PE is nice but it is still narrower than a domestic F seat and the arm rest in between is still smaller. Not a bad seat but I was expecting a domestic J seat. To do that they would need to make PE 2-3-2 on a 777 instead of 2-4-2.

The big issue I see is that coach goes all 3-4-3 with no MCE except bulk heads. Really tight. On the 772 when you are in PE you still use the rest rooms in the back, and people just looked extremely uncomfortable.

I had another trip to Europe and flew back on the 45J, 55 MCE, 160 Y configuration where the mid Y section is 3-3-3 (half is MCE) and the back is 3-4-3. This MCE section of 3-3-3 is nice. I let a friend have my J seat and I sat in Y and I was presently surprised (first time in AA International in Y). But this was 3-3-3 MCE. I thought this is what coach should be for the entire airplane. People looked reasonably comfortable and I was as well.

But AA is going the other way - going 45 to 37J, add 24 PE, and make all of Y 3-4-3 and no MCE. Really brutal.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by cova
But AA is going the other way - going 45 to 37J, add 24 PE, and make all of Y 3-4-3 and no MCE. Really brutal.
I didn't see anywhere that AA was going to add PEY at the expense of all non-bulkhead MCE seats, did I miss something? If this is indeed true, this will be a major inconvenience for passengers who have already paid for MCE.

I assume (possibly incorrectly) that the refitted seatmap would look like the current 37J aircraft. On that seat map, I am seeing rows 18, 19, 27, and 28 as being MCE.

Last edited by FlyerWx; Feb 17, 2018 at 3:37 pm Reason: Additional details
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:04 am

Not quite. I flew PE DFW to CDG last month and the PE is nice but it is still narrower than a domestic F seat and the arm rest in between is still smaller. Not a bad seat but I was expecting a domestic J seat. To do that they would need to make PE 2-3-2 on a 777 instead of 2-4-2.

The big issue I see is that coach goes all 3-4-3 with no MCE except bulk heads. Really tight. On the 772 when you are in PE you still use the rest rooms in the back, and people just looked extremely uncomfortable.

I had another trip to Europe and flew back on the 45J, 55 MCE, 160 Y configuration where the mid Y section is 3-3-3 (half is MCE) and the back is 3-4-3. This MCE section of 3-3-3 is nice. I let a friend have my J seat and I sat in Y and I was presently surprised (first time in AA International in Y). But this was 3-3-3 MCE. I thought this is what coach should be for the entire airplane. People looked reasonably comfortable and I was as well.

What does all of this mean in terms of the 77W seat map for flights in June which shows MCE in Rows 20 and 33-35 (middle), and the currently blocked out PE rows 16-19?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
FYI, it does appear that equipment swaps are still happening. My PHK-CLT flight tomorrow just went from a 332 to a 333 (and with it, my PEY seat). ��
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage

The big issue I see is that coach goes all 3-4-3 with no MCE except bulk heads.
Really? Looking at the 772 seat maps with Premium Economy on AA's website, they actually have TWO dedicated sections of MCE now. Rows 17-19 (plus middle seats in row 20), and Rows 26-28 (plus middle seats in row 29). I'll never understand how they were able to get MCE out of Rows 26-28 since I don't think they gained space from anywhere, but oh well. That's what the seat map shows at least.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by arc727
Really? Looking at the 772 seat maps with Premium Economy on AA's website, they actually have TWO dedicated sections of MCE now. Rows 17-19 (plus middle seats in row 20), and Rows 26-28 (plus middle seats in row 29). I'll never understand how they were able to get MCE out of Rows 26-28 since I don't think they gained space from anywhere, but oh well. That's what the seat map shows at least.
Yes - I see that on the map. Hard to determine what the pitch is for these seats. It doesn't show on ExpertFlyer or SeatGuru. But neverless, my main point is that what used to be 3-3-3 MCE Y seats are now 3-4-3. They are doing away with any Y seats configured 3-3-3. 3-4-3 is real tight.

Walking back from seat 13B past coach to the restroom - only the bulk heads and seats 18C and 18J appeared to be suitable (they have no seat in front, due to the change in the aisle from PE to Y.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:13 am

I switched a JFK-LHR June flight from a 77W (which was showing the new Rows 16-19 PE blocked) to a 772 which still has the 9 across MCE. It seems these are being retrofitted to the 10 across MCE. If the map still shows it as 9 across does than mean that the retrofit won't happen until after my flight in June?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AA G, UA, HH G
Originally Posted by dpb132
FYI, it does appear that equipment swaps are still happening. My PHK-CLT flight tomorrow just went from a 332 to a 333 (and with it, my PEY seat). ��
Sorry if this is a noob question, but if you're in paid PEY and they do an equip swap that drops you in Y, would that be valid cause to request cancellation/full refund (vs just refund of the difference)?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by isabeloh
Sorry if this is a noob question, but if you're in paid PEY and they do an equip swap that drops you in Y, would that be valid cause to request cancellation/full refund (vs just refund of the difference)?
Yes, absolutely.

You should expect nothing less than full refund to the original form of payment should you choose to cancel.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by simon562
I switched a JFK-LHR June flight from a 77W (which was showing the new Rows 16-19 PE blocked) to a 772 which still has the 9 across MCE. It seems these are being retrofitted to the 10 across MCE. If the map still shows it as 9 across does than mean that the retrofit won't happen until after my flight in June?
All the 772's will be 10-across MCE by June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.