Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by stewlevine
And the word from AA
http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/premiume...premiumeconomy
Already seeing it promoted in their twitter feed
I don't know if that's a mock up in a corner of a hanger or the representative of the real 789 configuration? If it is then 3 rows of 2-3-2 is welcome but about half of what BA has on the same type.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Article today in USA Today. In my opinion, if AA only allows you to use a SWU to get from coach to "premium economy"... that would be a HUGE blow IMO.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ssafro1
Article today in USA Today. In my opinion, if AA only allows you to use a SWU to get from coach to "premium economy"... that would be a HUGE blow IMO.

BINGO. SWU's are for a one class upgrade. If you want to use your upgrades to get into business, you need to ticket into premium economy.
Premium economy is the most profitable part of the business and kudos to AA for making this happen.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
What about EQM?

Originally Posted by ashill
Indeed, it's great to have the option. That said, the one time I paid to sit in W instead of Y (on BA), I wasn't particularly happy; the comfort difference is not all that significant. But that's good from the airline's point of view; I can't imagine anyone who is thinking about paying for J saying "but there's premium economy; that's a good enough substitute for J".
One other thing I liked about PEY on BA or CX - and another reason I booked it - was that it earned 1.5 EQPs, and on the new charts I think I still saw 1.5 EQMs. I'm curious what this booking class will earn?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Tango
BINGO. SWU's are for a one class upgrade. If you want to use your upgrades to get into business, you need to ticket into premium economy.
Premium economy is the most profitable part of the business and kudos to AA for making this happen.
My gut is that if AA was going to make SWUs purely a one-class upgrade play, they would have kept issuing 8 - not cut it to 4.

Cutting it to 4 and then making them work only Y->W would be a huge blow and would make them pathetic next to UA's 6 GPUs and 4 RPUs.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Tango
definitely kudos for AA to try to make more profit.. but in this one EXP's opinion, its a blow for a loyal customer like myself and another diluted perks to reach for high status.. Not only they cutting 8SWU to 4SWU, they also downgrading the value of the SWU by adding another class..
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
AA Twitter team just replied to me and made clear that Premium Economy is still considered Economy and SWupgrades from Regular Economy will still book into C.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by lowfareair
The Press Release indicates that the 789 will have J/W(Prem Eco fare class)/MCE/Y.

If so, is there any other airline/aircraft combo that has 5 distinct classes (F/J/W/Y+/Y)? Unless AA removes F from the 77Ws during the conversion, they will have 5 classes. (I consider MCE separate from Y as it is a class with purposeful extra legroom in places extra legroom isn't required, such as an emergency exit row)
The press release says First is staying on the 773's so I guess there will be a 5 cabin aircraft. Although MCE is not technically a cabin, but most of us consider it a separate cabin.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by lowfareair
If so, is there any other airline/aircraft combo that has 5 distinct classes (F/J/W/Y+/Y)? Unless AA removes F from the 77Ws during the conversion, they will have 5 classes. (I consider MCE separate from Y as it is a class with purposeful extra legroom in places extra legroom isn't required, such as an emergency exit row)
Well, AA does not consider MCE a separate class of service. However, AA is already planning to remove F from everything except the 77W. This is just the completion of a trend where the addition of lie-flats to Business has narrowed the gap between Business and First, which reduces demand for First. At the same time, it has widened the gap between Business and Economy, leaving room for Premium Economy.

There are basically still 3 classes of hard product: "bed", "big chair", and "tiny chair". On most carriers, today's Premium Economy is basically what Business was 20 years ago, today's Business is what First was 20 years ago, and First is being phased out (or on some airlines, turned into an "apartment" or "suite"). It all amounts to an elaborate re-naming, because a lot of corporate travel offices won't pay for Business but will pay for Premium Economy.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aero0729
AA Twitter team just replied to me and made clear that Premium Economy is still considered Economy and SWupgrades from Regular Economy will still book into C.
Interesting.. AA facebook team said otherwise, they said MCE option will also be available along with Premium Economy..
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by wetrat0
Well, AA does not consider MCE a separate class of service.
If you feel the need to argue semantics, I'm happy to rephrase: Is there any other airline/aircraft combo with 4 classes of service plus a purposely 'enhanced' section of one or more classes with extra space (i.e. not emergency exit or bulkhead rows)?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wetrat0
However, AA is already planning to remove F from everything except the 77W.
And A321T.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
What's really, really interesting here is that this seems to be the exact same seat that was rumored as the new domestic F seat for retrofitted pmUS A319s in First Class. (With the addition of IFE, I suppose.)

I wonder if it's both?

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6565985/
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by dw
Considering all the rumors of DL introducing a true international PEY with their recent fare class changes to Comfort+, I'm surprised AA has beaten them to it.
There hasn't been much substance to the DL rumors... the fare class changes are more about denying elites the ability to select C+ seats when DL thinks they might sell them.

Originally Posted by ashill
Indeed, it's great to have the option. That said, the one time I paid to sit in W instead of Y (on BA), I wasn't particularly happy; the comfort difference is not all that significant.
It's not supposed to be... W is "Premium Economy" not "Cheaper Business". For me, the big win is lateral space... I rarely jostle elbows with my neighbor in W, which is not the case in extra leg room seats like MCE or C+.

That said, IMO BA is one of the worse W products out there. On the London routes I'd strongly favor VS, especially the newer product (A330, B789, etc).

Originally Posted by ssafro1
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but to me it's a huge win to have W as my default in case the upgrade doesn't clear. ie: I'd rather buy W and take a chance on J than buy Y and take a chance on J (or W, for that matter).
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Gary's post indicated the new W seats will be designed by B/E Aerospace. Pretty safe to say now that the replacement J seat for the cancelled Zodiac seats will be the B/E Super Diamond seats, the same ones QR uses on the 787/A350/A380. (In my opinion, the best choice available off the shelf right now.) As AA is moving towards much smaller J cabins, this move makes things a bit better. I wouldn't hesitate to book W where it is offered. I bet the longer routes like DFW-HKG, W will be sellout. Props to management for this decision, undoubtedly taking a step ahead of DL, which plans to introduce W on their A350s come 2017. Leaves another airline behind.... for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.