Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 7, 19, 3:06 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The current thread can be found here.

link to QR Travel Alerts)[/quote]

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You cannot check QR availability on aa.com. You must check QR availability elsewhere, and then call AA on the phone to book the award. (There is no booking fee.)

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Doha Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge for qualifying passengers on BA, CX, RJ, UL.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

The archived posts from 2017 can be found here.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 25, 17, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Airlines 1K, Marriott Platinum

I am booked to travel CPT - DOH - IAH I used AA award miles to travel on Qatar, I have confirmed business on the CPT - DOH, and economy from DOH - IAH, my question is how do I get DOH - IAH in business? i contact AA on a daily basis with hopes of a seat being available. Seats are still being sold on Qatar's website in business, please any suggestions are welcome.
Old Jan 25, 17, 5:28 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
What Day? What month?

What day / month are you flying? How many miles did you use? 75K gets you business one way CPT-IAH. Have you checked DOH-DFW, with AA for a DFW-IAH leg. Before making my itinerary SEA-DFW-DOH-JNB-CPT I checked AA for first class award availability then the BA website for award travel internationally. For example, checking on the BA website, there are 4 award business class seats available of 15 Feb & 24 May. Very spotty this late in the game.

Last edited by AZ Boomer; Jan 25, 17 at 5:41 pm
Old Jan 25, 17, 5:59 pm

cherry0105 welcome to the QR forum.

I am afraid that I must disappoint you because only AA can issue you reward places on QR for AA miles. For QR itself they do not allow upgrades of award tickets.

I do not know the AA rules but if they are anything like the QR rules you need to cancel your award flights and try for the correct class. Which, due to waiting lists, may result in your also losing the booked, but cancelled, Y seats.
I am sure that help can be had on the AA forum.
Old Jan 25, 17, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cherry0105 View Post
I am booked to travel CPT - DOH - IAH I used AA award miles to travel on Qatar, I have confirmed business on the CPT - DOH, and economy from DOH - IAH, my question is how do I get DOH - IAH in business? I contact AA on a daily basis with hopes of a seat being available. Seats are still being sold on Qatar's website in business, please any suggestions are welcome.
For all questions about the use of AA miles look in the AA forum
Award seats are never guaranteed. Seats for cash sale are not the same as award seats.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html
Old Jan 25, 17, 6:34 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
AA can make changes...IF available

Thanks remdk for welcoming the original poster! I forgot my manners

AA will make changes in an itinerary if the miles are correct and you do not change either the dates of flights or the origin and final destination. Originally my wife and I were to travel SEA-LAX on Alaska (AS) then go ground-side from Terminal 6 to Terminal 2 to change to Qatar LAX-DOH. The AA agent said to check back often to see if a routing that did not require going ground-side opened up.

One month later, AS opened up 4 F seats SEA-DFW for the 0700 flight (found it on the AA site as 25K one-way Business/First Mile Saver awards. I checked on the BA website and found that 4 award tickets were available DFW-DOH for the 1845 flight. I was able to call AA and the agent changed the flights without any trouble.

Why switch? Transferring at DFW allows us to remain air-side. We can use the Skylink trains to go from Terminal E to D without encountering TSA "in all it's glory" , and can use wheelchairs as my wife and I are disabled. It's a longer stay at the QR lounge, but worth it to avoid the Feds.

Now you may have more of a problem if you have a mixed award. If you spent 75K for CPT-DOH-IAH, you could find that QR opens up more award seats in business for the DOH-IAH segment. But I would not necessarily count on it. There are seats DOH-DFW on 17, 23, 29 May.

Good luck cherry0105 in your efforts. Enjoy the Falcons-Patriots Super Bowl (Go Pats!)
Old Jan 25, 17, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cherry0105 View Post
I am booked to travel CPT - DOH - IAH I used AA award miles to travel on Qatar, I have confirmed business on the CPT - DOH, and economy from DOH - IAH, my question is how do I get DOH - IAH in business? i contact AA on a daily basis with hopes of a seat being available. Seats are still being sold on Qatar's website in business, please any suggestions are welcome.
On what day of the week is your departure? Qatar generally does not release business class seat awards for flights to (or from) the USA for Fri-Sun departures, only for Mon-Thu departures.

You can search availability at other oneworld airlines like BA or QF, either directly at their sites, or indirectly by using www.awardnexus.com (click "more signup options" under the green Purchase button to sign up for free as a FlyerTalk member). aa.com never shows QR availability, and searching online at Award Nexus should be easier than contacting AA every day. (If you search using Award Nexus every day, at some point you might run out of your free allowance, but it's worth checking out IMHO because the user interface is much nicer than the user interface at any oneworld airline site I've ever seen.)
Old Jan 27, 17, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Is it at possible that Qatar is blocking award seats for partner airlines?

I was looking to book DOH-ORD in December (on a Thursday) for a while now. had to wait for some miles to post before I could book, but was checking back regularly. Most of the dates in Dec (Mon-Thur) all had between 1-4 open business seats available.

Magically, the day I go to book, there isn't availability in business for ANY day going from DOH-ORD Mon-Thurs via British Airways. However Expertflyer and QR site are showing multiple award seats available. In reality I just need a DOH-USA flight in business so I checked every hub for December and not a single one is showing business availability (all have 8+ economy available however).

I have read in the past about Qatar blocking for partners as a 'glitch' but does anyone know how long this typically goes on for? I have a hard time believing all of the DOH-ORD availability for the month of December booked up in 12 hours.

Any input is appreciated!
Old Jan 27, 17, 2:42 pm

Dsm2m2 you need to remember that availability is shown per sector but your award ticket is for two different sectors combined (i.e. married sectors). There may well be availability for the individual sectors and yet be none for the married sectors.

This has nothing to do with QR versus other OW carriers but is incorrectly interpreted by many as a QR favouritism.
Old Jan 27, 17, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by remdk View Post
Dsm2m2 you need to remember that availability is shown per sector but your award ticket is for two different sectors combined (i.e. married sectors). There may well be availability for the individual sectors and yet be none for the married sectors.

This has nothing to do with QR versus other OW carriers but is incorrectly interpreted by many as a QR favouritism.
Thanks for the reply. After re-reading my initial question I think it came off slightly confusing as I am not looking to fly DOH-ORD via British Airways (rather just using the BA site to search availability).

I am looking to fly the direct route DOH-ORD on Qatar Airways in business class using AA miles.

Over the course of last week, I repeatedly used the British Airways site to search for QR availability given the AA does not show this on their site. When doing so, every day in December showed at least 1-4 award seats being available for the DIRECT flight on Qatar Airways going from DOH-ORD in business class.

When I finally had enough miles to book the ticket (70k AA miles) I re-did the search and suddenly the inventory for the business class seats went from 0-4 overnight. I then searched every single Mon-Thur in December and realized that overnight, there was not a single business class ticket available for the direct DOH-ORD flight on Qatar Airways anymore.

Upon even more searches, I found that there is not a single business seat available from Doha to ANY US hub in December on any of the direct Qatar Airways flights, which is why I initially asked if they were blocking inventory.

This isn't a married sector issue as I am just looking to go from A-B and availability was showing up until just three days ago (Economy is still showing as of right now). I can understand if my specific day was not available, but for awards to be available on the BA site for ALL of December and then magically disappear three days ago is more so what I am trying to figure out. Economy
Old Jan 28, 17, 2:55 pm

DOH-PHL

Originally Posted by Dsm2m2 View Post
Thanks for the reply. After re-reading my initial question I think it came off slightly confusing as I am not looking to fly DOH-ORD via British Airways (rather just using the BA site to search availability).

I am looking to fly the direct route DOH-ORD on Qatar Airways in business class using AA miles.

Over the course of last week, I repeatedly used the British Airways site to search for QR availability given the AA does not show this on their site. When doing so, every day in December showed at least 1-4 award seats being available for the DIRECT flight on Qatar Airways going from DOH-ORD in business class.

When I finally had enough miles to book the ticket (70k AA miles) I re-did the search and suddenly the inventory for the business class seats went from 0-4 overnight. I then searched every single Mon-Thur in December and realized that overnight, there was not a single business class ticket available for the direct DOH-ORD flight on Qatar Airways anymore.

Upon even more searches, I found that there is not a single business seat available from Doha to ANY US hub in December on any of the direct Qatar Airways flights, which is why I initially asked if they were blocking inventory.

This isn't a married sector issue as I am just looking to go from A-B and availability was showing up until just three days ago (Economy is still showing as of right now). I can understand if my specific day was not available, but for awards to be available on the BA site for ALL of December and then magically disappear three days ago is more so what I am trying to figure out. Economy
I just looked at BA.com (~1400 PST) and found DOH-PHL on QR727 (4 seats each) on 4, 5,6,7,12 Dec (2 seat 11 Dec) as well as 25, 26,27 Dec. Now check AA.com for connections.
Old Jan 28, 17, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by AZ Boomer View Post
What day / month are you flying? How many miles did you use? 75K gets you business one way CPT-IAH. Have you checked DOH-DFW, with AA for a DFW-IAH leg.
And, of course, you could do the same with other QR U.S.cities with IAH as your final destination, assuming that there's direct AA service to IAH.

Originally Posted by remdk View Post
Just curious, do you know this or is it what you surmise or assume? I ask because other carriers do give their own program members priority/preference for award seats. CX is well known, for example, for making award seats available to AM members before it makes them available to OW partners. It's relevant to me as, at least for now, I'm OW EMD in both AAdvantage and QRPC, with a fair number of miles in each program.
Old Jan 28, 17, 8:26 pm

Exclamation Need dates for travel

Dsm2m2 & cherry0105: None of us can really help you unless you can tell us the dates that you wish to travel.
Old Jan 28, 17, 8:34 pm

Ideally I would be looking to travel on Dec 20th or 21st, going DOH-ORD direct in business.

BA site showing zero availability for all of DEC in business from DOH-ORD (economy is available however for most dates). After checking all of the other DOH-USA hubs for my dates, only thing I found was DOH-BOS on the 20th, but of course AA has no availability on their end to get me from BOS-ORD on a flight (economy or business). I Could also purchase a flight from BOS-ORD of course, however if DOH-ORD did end up popping up, I would then have nonrefundable travel and/or a $200 change fee (2ppl traveling).

I did notice that the routes mentioned above (DOH-PHL) and a few other US hubs were showing some early Dec availability, which is a somewhat nice change as none of that was showing over the last few days.

Obviously these are all first world problems, I was mainly just inquiring as to why 3-4 days ago BA site was showing DOH-ORD in business for almost every date in DEC, and now every single date is showing 'not available'. Either I am extremely unlucky and ALL of the seats were booked overnight, or QR decided to pull them back.
Old Jan 28, 17, 8:45 pm

Exclamation GRAB NOW!!!!!

Originally Posted by Dsm2m2 View Post
Ideally I would be looking to travel on Dec 20th or 21st, going DOH-ORD direct in business.

BA site showing zero availability for all of DEC in business from DOH-ORD (economy is available however for most dates). After checking all of the other DOH-USA hubs for my dates, only thing I found was DOH-BOS on the 20th, but of course AA has no availability on their end to get me from BOS-ORD on a flight (economy or business). I Could also purchase a flight from BOS-ORD of course, however if DOH-ORD did end up popping up, I would then have nonrefundable travel and/or a $200 change fee (2ppl traveling).

I did notice that the routes mentioned above (DOH-PHL) and a few other US hubs were showing some early Dec availability, which is a somewhat nice change as none of that was showing over the last few days.

Obviously these are all first world problems, I was mainly just inquiring as to why 3-4 days ago BA site was showing DOH-ORD in business for almost every date in DEC, and now every single date is showing 'not available'. Either I am extremely unlucky and ALL of the seats were booked overnight, or QR decided to pull them back.
:-::-::-::-:Just went on [email protected] 1945 PST..4 seats available in Business on 20 & 21 Dec 2017 on QR 725 DOH-ORD:-::-::-::-:

Last edited by AZ Boomer; Jan 28, 17 at 8:50 pm Reason: Specifying flight
Old Jan 28, 17, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Boomer View Post
:-::-::-::-:Just went on [email protected] 1945 PST..4 seats available in Business on 20 & 21 Dec 2017 on QR 725 DOH-ORD:-::-::-::-:
JUST BOOKED THIS! Big thanks to AZ Boomer! All of these dates were unavailable around 2030 CST. Not sure why this inventory just popped up but I have (2) tickets from DOH-ORD on the 21st!

Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: