Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread can be found here.

link to QR Travel Alerts)[/quote]

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You cannot check QR availability on aa.com. You must check QR availability elsewhere, and then call AA on the phone to book the award. (There is no booking fee.)

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Doha Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge for qualifying passengers on BA, CX, RJ, UL.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

The archived posts from 2017 can be found here.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Just dropping codesharing on QR flights. There is a whole thread on it.
Oh okay sorry I didn't search enough.

Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by enviroian
I've read in another post that AA is dropping Qatar as a one world partner. Does anyone know when this takes effect? I'd like to get another flight in before they are gone.
AA can't unilaterally drop Qatar as a oneworld partner. They are no longer going to codeshare with QR. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ar-2018-a.html.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:50 pm

I can see available flight on BA site for J from DFW-DOHA. But AA can't see it. What do I need to do? HUCA again?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:19 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by jasmians
I can see available flight on BA site for J from DFW-DOHA. But AA can't see it. What do I need to do? HUCA again?
I have the same issue on a different route. Where can I find the AA Australia or New Zealand phone number? I see in the wiki that some have had success by calling them.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:59 am
Community Director Emerita

BA.com shows 3 business class seats available from LAX-DOH on the date I'd like. I need 2. I called AA Australia. At first the agent saw the seats but then when she went to grab them she was unable to do so. I checked BA.com again. It continues to show 3 seats.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
I was on the phone the other day, trying to book either QR or EY to ME from JFK and the agent said something worrying in passing - they'd received an email that morning instructing all AAgents that they wouldn't be able to book QR tickets for the foreseeable future - AAgent said it was something to do with the UAE/QR spat but I'm not so sure. I hope I/the AAgent was incorrect but they seemed pretty certain and read from a text.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA GLD, MR GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
I was on the phone the other day, trying to book either QR or EY to ME from JFK and the agent said something worrying in passing - they'd received an email that morning instructing all AAgents that they wouldn't be able to book QR tickets for the foreseeable future - AAgent said it was something to do with the UAE/QR spat but I'm not so sure. I hope I/the AAgent was incorrect but they seemed pretty certain and read from a text.
I have been told the same thing each call for the last 5 days.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:34 pm

I tried calling today but agent was not able to ticket. Agent was able to see the inventory. According to him, Iberia is also affected and they have no fix date when this will be fixed.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EP
So we have reports of issues with qr and IB and BA (they can't book AA). The commonality Is Amadeus. I'll bet there is a system issue vs any spat issue.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
So we have reports of issues with qr and IB and BA (they can't book AA). The commonality Is Amadeus. I'll bet there is a system issue vs any spat issue.
BA-AA issue was fixed 2 days back. Booked flights on BA this morning.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
I've tried for a few days and no agents are able to pull anything up on QR at all. I asked them to check if there was a known issue and the people I spoke with at the Raleigh and W-S call centers said there wasn't, and it was the first time they had encountered a problem.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:04 am

I also wonder why no bloggers talking abt this except OMAAT. Ben had one post on this and no other blogger tweeted or wrote about this issue. Whereas most of them jumped on BA website glitch for AA flights news.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
QR award using Avios?

Originally Posted by plon
I've tried for a few days and no agents are able to pull anything up on QR at all. I asked them to check if there was a known issue and the people I spoke with at the Raleigh and W-S call centers said there wasn't, and it was the first time they had encountered a problem.
Would the same problem happen if using Avios? Any idea? [Sorry if this relates to BA forum]
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Perhaps this is the same thing that is has been happening with IB awards in the past week that show as available on both aa.com and EF. On aa.com when you go to book the IB flights the screen refreshes and that award is no longer shown, with NO message indicating awards are no longer available. Start over, and do another search and they are available again, rinse and repeat.

Reservation agent said they got a memo last week about a parsing issue with regard to booking IB and CX awards, and they mentioned at least one other OW airline, maybe QF and/or QR, but I'm not sure about that one.

I hope they fix it soon. No ETA on when it will be corrected; jokingly somewhere between 1 day and 2 months.

FWIW, I booked an AA QR award reservation week before last. FWIW, BA's site shows plenty of QR award availability.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
I called yesterday to fix an AUH-DOH segment that has of course been cancelled. The agent looked for and read the memo. He wouldn't tell me the exact wording, but he summarized it as:
  • QR has removed all award availability on affected flights through October something
  • AA has removed the ability to price awards that contain affected flights indefinitely (past October).
The key is that the restrictions only apply to affected flights, which include flights between Qatar (DOH) and U.A.E. (AUH, DXB), Bahrain (BAH), Egypt (CAI), and Saudi Arabia (JED, RUH). He said there is no problem booking flights, e.g., DOH-MCT-AUH or anything else that doesn't include an affected flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.