Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread can be found here.

link to QR Travel Alerts)[/quote]

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You cannot check QR availability on aa.com. You must check QR availability elsewhere, and then call AA on the phone to book the award. (There is no booking fee.)

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Doha Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge for qualifying passengers on BA, CX, RJ, UL.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

The archived posts from 2017 can be found here.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Is Qatar still honoring AA award tickets booked before this mess and on routes that are still currently valid?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's been reported for several weeks albeit without that explanation. It's very frustrating.
Well I called again for the 4th time and a lovely AAngel with a Texas accent was able to book it for me

LAX-DOH-MHD in J initially booked as on request, but it came back ticketed this morning.

Probably no way to book awards for destinations currently in UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, or Egypt, but to other places QR flies, I would HUCA until someone is able to help.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Is Qatar still honoring AA award tickets booked before this mess and on routes that are still currently valid?
I have not heard any suggestion that QR wouldn't honor anything ticketed. Why would they? If the ticket is for a route still valid, there shouldn't be any question at all. (If the ticket is for a route not currently valid, AA should switch to different flights, or you can leave it until QR cancels the flight and ask QR to book you on different flights.)
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes.

We are on a MIA-DOH-CPT itinerary traveling in August.

I was able to change the date about 3.5 weeks ago when QR released some availability even on weekend...

AAgent who handled the change initially said there was a memo about QR flights - he read it and then said ours should not be affected but he still needed to confer with help desk - came back A OK. He made the date change, immediately showed up on QR site as confirmed BUT without e-ticket info (the existing e-tickets gone). Once the new e-tickets arrived I checked QR site - it has the new e-tickets attached. Very painless for me but that was done in Mid June, 3.5 weeks ago.

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Well I called again for the 4th time and a lovely AAngel with a Texas accent was able to book it for me

LAX-DOH-MHD in J initially booked as on request, but it came back ticketed this morning.

Probably no way to book awards for destinations currently in UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, or Egypt, but to other places QR flies, I would HUCA until someone is able to help.
I agree. It is frustrating but I suspect it largely depends on how the award seat is being booked (grabbed) - may be QR system has some changes from before the crisis, some agents figure out how to get around it some agents only know the old method which seems no longer working...

Your example of successfully ticketed a QR award and my example being able to change dates on existing award, suggest that the QR seats CAN be confirmed back.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
If I want to change affected QR flights to Oman Air flights that work best for my schedule. I assume I won't have any means to do that until the 72 hour mark when I have to contact QR directly to make changes to WY flights?
This good question remains unanswered.......
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by LukeO9
This good question remains unanswered.......
Thank you yes I am still wondering but as far as I know AA can't access WY flights at all as they are not a partner.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:00 am

I had QR707 DOH-IAD flight in Y Class credited to my AA account and I only see 1732 miles earned. Is that correct? Y Class shows as earning 100% base miles and the distance from DOH-IAD is 6921 miles.

The credit shows 3,463 EQM's, 347 EQD's and 1,732 base miles.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by iridium
I had QR707 DOH-IAD flight in Y Class credited to my AA account and I only see 1732 miles earned. Is that correct? Y Class shows as earning 100% base miles and the distance from DOH-IAD is 6921 miles.

Depends on your economy fare. Are you sure your fare was Y? Looks like a discount fare yielding 25% base miles
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:30 am

Depends on your economy fare. Are you sure your fare was Y? Looks like a discount fare yielding 25% base miles
The boarding pass shows "Class: Y".
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The boarding pass shows "Class: Y".
That doesn't necessarily mean that the actual fare basis was Y, just that you were in economy class

What was the price of the ticket. looking on ITA, r/t DOH-IAD is about $2950 and IAD-DOH is about $4600. One way fares are about $1900 and $2900 respectively

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 13, 2017 at 8:58 am
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
So I'm trying to book DOH-JFK in J, both BA and QF show 5 seats available.

I've called about 6 times now, both US and Australia/NZ. Four of the agents told me that American has stopped its agreement with EY and QR, so no award space is available, and the other two said the system errors out when trying to look at Qatar flights.

Has anyone been able to successfully book QR awards on AA over the past few days?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

As Dave Noble notes, Y reflects that you were on a coach ticket. There are several booking codes for fares that would involve you flying in coach. From the AA chart

Economy Y 100% – 1.00 20%
Economy B, H, K, M, L, V 50% – 0.50 10%
Economy G, N, S, Q, O, T, W 25% – 0.50 5%

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp

Based on your report and the AA chart, seems like you bought a ticket with a fare code of G, N, S, Q, O, T, or W.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I've read in another post that AA is dropping Qatar as a one world partner. Does anyone know when this takes effect? I'd like to get another flight in before they are gone.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EP
Just dropping codeshare partners.

There is a while thread on it.

Originally Posted by enviroian
I've read in another post that AA is dropping Qatar as a one world partner. Does anyone know when this takes effect? I'd like to get another flight in before they are gone.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EP
Just dropping codesharing on QR flights. There is a whole thread on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.