Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread can be found here.

link to QR Travel Alerts)[/quote]

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You cannot check QR availability on aa.com. You must check QR availability elsewhere, and then call AA on the phone to book the award. (There is no booking fee.)

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Doha Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge for qualifying passengers on BA, CX, RJ, UL.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

The archived posts from 2017 can be found here.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
The ironic thing is that every AA agent will tell you otherwise when they can't see an award seat that you found on BA.

...Still, the agents have told me dozens of times that BA has access to different availability than they do.
They are just making that up, they really don't have access to that kind of information.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
By policy award seats of any given oneworld partner are supposed to be equally available to all other oneworld partners (differing booking windows, importantly, not included in this.)
So is the problem technical? Does have to do with different reservation systems? Is the reason the same as the even more pervasive issues with booking LATAM (formerly known as LAN) flights with AA miles (that are more easily bookable with BA Avios and such)?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
The ironic thing is that every AA agent will tell you otherwise when they can't see an award seat that you found on BA. What I've found is CX and JL either release first to other OW partners (about half a day earlier) or AAs system simply doesn't refresh often enough so there's a small lag from when an award seat is opened up by one of those airlines. Still, the agents have told me dozens of times that BA has access to different availability than they do.
It's not really ironic; I wouldn't expect RES agents to be aware of policy details among OW members, and it's human nature to assume a reasonable sounding explanation (or go by lore) to explain events. I'm sure RES agents quite frequently have callers who insist that award space is visible on BA/QF/JL that the agent can't see.

I know it used to be the case that CX space, especially, was difficult to book, and it was common to have one agent be unable to see it while the next agent would use a different technique and find it.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
So is the problem technical? Does have to do with different reservation systems?
And combined with a variety of other technical issues, yes.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:57 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Am I totally off base in hoping to get two tickets for Feb or Mar of 2018 from either JFK or PHL to NBO on QR?

I will have the miles I need in about 2 weeks.

What are my odds on finding something?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Am I totally off base in hoping to get two tickets for Feb or Mar of 2018 from either JFK or PHL to NBO on QR?

I will have the miles I need in about 2 weeks.

What are my odds on finding something?
Your odds are good if you dont plan to fly weekends (Fri-sun). Usually wide open from mon-thur
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:12 pm

If I want to change affected QR flights to Oman Air flights that work best for my schedule. I assume I won't have any means to do that until the 72 hour mark when I have to contact QR directly to make changes to WY flights?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
I'm hoping to book a flight out of LAX/PHL/BOS/JFK to DOH on QR, and then connect somewhere in order to get to DXB since DOH-DXB isn't currently bookable. This is for a flight sometime mid-August. What are my best options for getting from DOH-DXB right now?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm hoping to book a flight out of LAX/PHL/BOS/JFK to DOH on QR, and then connect somewhere in order to get to DXB since DOH-DXB isn't currently bookable. This is for a flight sometime mid-August. What are my best options for getting from DOH-DXB right now?
On OW? A very roundabout flight! Like DOH-LHR-DXB. For those who already have DOH-DXB booked, OR might reroute you through Istanbul on Turkish, but that's on option in a OW booking.

But if you have go to LHR just to get to DXB, what's the point in flying to DOH first (unless you're planning to spend time in DOH first)? Why not just fly to LHR?

Now, perhaps the situation will change by mid-August and perhaps it won't. But if it does, you'd have to wait until then to book the direct DOH-DXB if it returns to service.

Btw, you didn't explain whether this would be a piad or award flight, and the implications are a bit different (in that you can make routing changes later for free on an award trip if you keep the same origin and destination, in a way that I don't think you can do with most paid fares).
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No decent options and you will likely need to buy multiple tickets

You would be better taking EY to AUH and taking a cab

If the issue resolves and flights start again on QR, then can pay $150 and change to QR if desired ( if an award flight ) or cancel subject to any cancellation penalty and rebook if a paid ticket
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No decent options and you will likely need to buy multiple tickets

You would be better taking EY to AUH and taking a cab

If the issue resolves and flights start again on QR, then can pay $150 and change to QR if desired ( if an award flight ) or cancel subject to any cancellation penalty and rebook if a paid ticket
Can't the poster fly on WY via MCT to DXB within 72 hours of the flight after contacting QR?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Everyone here seems to be forgetting that Royal Jordanian is part of OW and that RJ is based out of AMM. So while it is a detour, you could conceivably go XXX-AMM-DXB.

But like the other poster said, if you can get to AUH on Etihad, it's less than an hour's cab ride to DXB.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Can't the poster fly on WY via MCT to DXB within 72 hours of the flight after contacting QR?
Since he cannot make the booking in the 1st place, there will be no option to make changes based on the service not operating. What may be permitted to address existing bookings , does not apply to bookings not yet made
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Wanted to book an award ticket LAX-DOH-MHD, but representative told me Qatar is blocking awards booked with AA miles. Sure enough, they found availability like it shows on BA.com, but could not hold the reservation (as well as one routed LAX-DOH-IKA) after receiving an error that the Qatar wasnt releasing the awards. Is this a new phenomenon?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Wanted to book an award ticket LAX-DOH-MHD, but representative told me Qatar is blocking awards booked with AA miles. Sure enough, they found availability like it shows on BA.com, but could not hold the reservation (as well as one routed LAX-DOH-IKA) after receiving an error that the Qatar wasnt releasing the awards. Is this a new phenomenon?
It's been reported for several weeks albeit without that explanation. It's very frustrating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.