Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread can be found here.

link to QR Travel Alerts)[/quote]

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You cannot check QR availability on aa.com. You must check QR availability elsewhere, and then call AA on the phone to book the award. (There is no booking fee.)

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Doha Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge for qualifying passengers on BA, CX, RJ, UL.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

The archived posts from 2017 can be found here.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
Smile Glad to Help

Originally Posted by Dsm2m2
JUST BOOKED THIS! Big thanks to AZ Boomer! All of these dates were unavailable around 2030 CST. Not sure why this inventory just popped up but I have (2) tickets from DOH-ORD on the 21st!

Thanks again!
Your welcome. Enjoy the trip!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
I am in a similar spot trying to find space on January 1 or 2 (2 seats), but have not found any business awards DOH-US. Is it perhaps too close to New Years and QR wants to wait longer? I have been pretty much been checking since the beginning of the year. Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:04 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Archived posts from the previous thread can be found here: QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award [ARCHIVE]

Thanks! /Moderator

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 1, 2018 at 11:56 pm Reason: Updated mod note
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
So going back on topic on this thread: I called EXP line last week to book two award tickets USA-DOH-BEY and was very matter of factly told by the EXP agent that AA won't allow any QR bookings anymore (edit: "any QR bookings transiting in Doha" which is all of them right???) due to the various things going on over there.

About an hour of 0 luck finding ANY alternative award flights I called back just to see if an EXP agent might be able to find something and to my surprise I got a different agent who had 0 issues immediately booking me on QR.

The entire ordeal was so frustrating.

Side note off topic: Scrolling through the fare rules a couple of posts up on mobile is horrible.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Phasers
...was very matter of factly told by the EXP agent that AA won't allow any QR bookings anymore (edit: "any QR bookings transiting in Doha" which is all of them right???) due to the various things going on over there.
Very strange how many agents have told members (some version of) this.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Very strange how many agents have told members (some version of) this.
Any idea where they're getting it from?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Any idea where they're getting it from?
None-- the reaccom thing on this doesn't seem to have even the slightest possibility of being confused for what they are telling people. Must be something I haven't seen, or... some of them (small handful) are... stu-pid.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The rules do get enforced quite often but sometimes routings that should not seem to be permitted do get through. When planning a trip , if can manage to get something that doesn't comply, that is a bonus, but set expectation when planning that will need to comply with the rules to avoid expectation
My advice is not to ever hesitate to look for alternate routes with availability if direct is not available. Such an endeavor is in good faith, as it does not seek to extend from the want to travel from point A to B.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You may have a fare that allows the routing or may have been lucky - even if so, that is no reason why the other itinerary that LukeO9 wishes to do , would be permitted
What I wish is for is a fault established by a supplier to be adjusted to the satisfaction of a subsequently inconvenienced customer. This feature appears to be perceived by anabolism, to whom I'm grateful for useful advice. and the presentation of an event that demonstrates my disquiet, in that AA has allowed a change from valid to an apparent invalid itinerary, as opposed to invalid to invalid.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LukeO9
My advice is not to ever hesitate to look for alternate routes with availability if direct is not available. Such an endeavor is in good faith, as it does not seek to extend from the want to travel from point A to B.

What I wish is for is a fault established by a supplier to be adjusted to the satisfaction of a subsequently inconvenienced customer. This feature appears to be perceived by anabolism, to whom I'm grateful for useful advice. and the presentation of an event that demonstrates my disquiet, in that AA has allowed a change from valid to an apparent invalid itinerary, as opposed to invalid to invalid.
Perfect.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LukeO9
That someone else has possibly managed to get something that shoiuld not be permitted, is not a reason why someone else should get an invalid itinerary permitted.

You were successful in getting an invalid one in the 1st place - the airline will be happy to permit a change to a valid one , will honour the invalid one --- just not move to another invalid one

I fail to see what there is to have any feeling of worry or unease
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I called EXP line last week to book two award tickets USA-DOH-BEY and was very matter of factly told by the EXP agent that AA won't allow any QR bookings anymore
I experienced this today. I had an award ticketed some months back for travel in 2018 that included EY flights U.S. to AUH and on to DOH. Yesterday I received email from EY that they cancelled the AUH-DOH flight. Called EXP desk, agent was happy to substitute QR AUH-DOH. Some time later received an email telling me to call RES. The agent told me ticketing couldn't issue the ticket because there's a new policy prohibiting AA from ticketing QR flights "in the Middle East." Requested substituting EY AUH-KWI and QR KWI-DOH, which ticketing also refused to issue, saying all intra-M.E. flights were prohibited. I called back later, and this agent called Tariff and was told it was fine to ticket, but would be priced as two awards. I requested clarification on the specifics of the ticketing prohibition and on why it priced as two awards. EXP agent put me on hold for a very long time, came back and said the only policy restriction she could find was for a three week period in June, but that there seemed to be some prohibition built in to the pricing engine that prevented the use of QR flights within the Middle East as part of any other award. I opted to leave my itin unchanged (ending in AUH) since it's so far into the future.

It does seem that some agents in RES and ticketing or tariff are under the impression that AA cannot ticket on QR intra-M.E., but others are happy to do it, but as a separate award.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:03 pm

Problem booking QR space that shows available

Hi all,

I am trying to book biz class LAX-DOH on QR using AA miles. The seats show available on BA and Qantas site. The AA call center agents can see them as available as well. But when they try to book them, they come back as "unconfirmed." I have tried with multiple call center agents over several days.
Has anyone else had this problem. Any ideas on potential work arounds?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EP
Sounds like phantom availability on BA/QF. Only question would be are u asking sector by sector both to AA and on ur BA queries.

Originally Posted by turgutbey
Hi all,

I am trying to book biz class LAX-DOH on QR using AA miles. The seats show available on BA and Qantas site. The AA call center agents can see them as available as well. But when they try to book them, they come back as "unconfirmed." I have tried with multiple call center agents over several days.
Has anyone else had this problem. Any ideas on potential work arounds?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
I experienced this today. I had an award ticketed some months back for travel in 2018 that included EY flights U.S. to AUH and on to DOH. Yesterday I received email from EY that they cancelled the AUH-DOH flight. Called EXP desk, agent was happy to substitute QR AUH-DOH. Some time later received an email telling me to call RES. The agent told me ticketing couldn't issue the ticket because there's a new policy prohibiting AA from ticketing QR flights "in the Middle East." Requested substituting EY AUH-KWI and QR KWI-DOH, which ticketing also refused to issue, saying all intra-M.E. flights were prohibited. I called back later, and this agent called Tariff and was told it was fine to ticket, but would be priced as two awards. I requested clarification on the specifics of the ticketing prohibition and on why it priced as two awards. EXP agent put me on hold for a very long time, came back and said the only policy restriction she could find was for a three week period in June, but that there seemed to be some prohibition built in to the pricing engine that prevented the use of QR flights within the Middle East as part of any other award. I opted to leave my itin unchanged (ending in AUH) since it's so far into the future.

It does seem that some agents in RES and ticketing or tariff are under the impression that AA cannot ticket on QR intra-M.E., but others are happy to do it, but as a separate award.
i woek up with the same email from EY cancelling my AUH-DOH segment. The agent had a little trouble finding the QR availability that I saw on BA.com but ultimately she said it came back confirmed and I received an email confirmation a bit ago with the new itinerary. Did you get an email confirmation before the email that told you to call RES?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Off topic, really, but:

Travel to the United States: Electronics ban lifted

Link

Qatar Airways is pleased to confirm that with immediate effect, all personal electronic devices can be carried on board all departures from Hamad International Airport to destinations in the United States.

Qatar Airways and Hamad International Airport have met with all requirements of the US Department of Homeland Security’s new security guidelines and we would like to express our thanks to the US and local authorities for their support during this process.

We would also like to thank our loyal passengers for their understanding and patience while the ban has been in place.

Updated on 6 July @ 01:57 GMT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.