Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread can be found here.

link to QR Travel Alerts)[/quote]

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You cannot check QR availability on aa.com. You must check QR availability elsewhere, and then call AA on the phone to book the award. (There is no booking fee.)

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Doha Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge for qualifying passengers on BA, CX, RJ, UL.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

The archived posts from 2017 can be found here.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 QR / Qatar Airways: Earn & Redeem AA Miles, Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
QR flies to CPT too.
[...]

It does not make sense to redeem Avios for the shuttle flight between JNB and CPT as the cash ticket often can be bought with $75 or less from either Kulula.com, the LCC arm of Comair which operates BA intra Africa flights, or from Mango, the LCC of SAA. Last year when Rand was 15 to 1 USD, the flight was as low as below $55. Absolutely no reason to pay Avios plus $44 for the same shuttle flight.
First, I did not make a decision to go to CPT until long long after I'd booked the flight (with AA mles) to JNB.

Second, I was flying those intra-SA flights in business, which cost only slightly more Avios, but would have cost significantly more than economy in cash. And I'm on the tallish side, so given the slight increase in points and in co-pay needed for business, that seemed the simplest way to get an extra legroom seat. And on Comair, business class is actually nicer than intra-Europe.

Plus I can't ever find another way to reasonably use Avios points. (In the US, there's never availability anyway on nonstops from LAX, and fares tend to be cheap enough anyhow.) So I was sort of "desperate" to use some up! (I loaded up on Avios for longhaul business, but then they devalued terribly a couple years ago, so it's no longer useful for that.)

Originally Posted by Happy
The penguin colony at Stony Point, Betty Bay on R44 is also a Cape Nature site. It has far less visitors, much closer encounter to the Penguins (right by your feet) and much cheaper admission fee.
1. That's only practical, tho, if you're driving the Garden Route. The lower admission fee will be offset by the much greater driving if you're trying it as a day trip from Capetown (because you're not driving the Garden Route). If you're staying in Capetown and flying both in and out of CPT then Boulder Beach is way more practical to visit.

2. If you're into photography, I found the natural-looking background of the sand and boulders and grass much nicer for photographing the penguins at Boulder Beach than the greyish concrete reclaimed industrial setting of Stony Point. I took zillions of photographs at Boulder Bay (where I went first), and I looked around at Stony Point but didn't find it worth photographing at all by comparison.

3. I was only a few feet away from penguins at Boulder Beach (specifically, the ones "uphill" from the walkway). So it's not like you're always at a long distance away from all of them.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:56 am

DOH to JNB--trying to find availability in J

I'm booked for next summer, 3 pax, JFK-DOH-JNB in J. When looking for DOH-JNB leg I found regular availability on QR 1363, the 777, departing DOH at 2:40am. But no J availability ever on QR 1367, the 787, departing DOH at 8:20am. Some C availability, especially when searching 330 days out, but no J, whether searching far out or close in. (I'm searching on BA, and so far the AA agents in US have seen exactly what BA site shows.)

Because the JFK-DOH flights arrives at 6:30am, QR 1367 would be about a 2 hour layover, while 1363 requires 18 hours.

Trying to figure out whether I should keep checking back for J availability or just accept the long layover and go find something to do with the family in Doha for the day? Would help to know if anybody has succeeded in snagging J seats on QR 1367.

Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by markprice22
Trying to figure out whether I should keep checking back for J availability or just accept the long layover and go find something to do with the family in Doha for the day? Would help to know if anybody has succeeded in snagging J seats on QR 1367.
I would definitely lock-in an available routing while you can. Even with a long layover, Doha isn't the worst place to spend some time. You might even appreciate the chance to stretch your legs a bit after the longhaul from JFK. You can always keep checking back (or simply use BA) for QR availability and change the DOH-JNB segment for free if something better opens up (unlikely).

I cannot answer definitively regarding QR1367, but I've searched many times and have never found J availability on this flight (either close-in or far out) while the 2am flight always seems to have decent award space available.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I would definitely lock-in an available routing while you can. Even with a long layover, Doha isn't the worst place to spend some time. You might even appreciate the chance to stretch your legs a bit after the longhaul from JFK. You can always keep checking back (or simply use BA) for QR availability and change the DOH-JNB segment for free if something better opens up (unlikely).

I cannot answer definitively regarding QR1367, but I've searched many times and have never found J availability on this flight (either close-in or far out) while the 2am flight always seems to have decent award space available.

-FlyerBeek
Thanks FlyerBeek, and thanks for all posters here whose advice I've been following for months as I tried to put this trip together. Good point about breaking up the trip. I locked it in. Calling Qatar to select seats now. Family is psyched. I travel too much for work, and at least we get business class to Africa on AA miles as a reward.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Maybe it's a plot to get people using miles to visit Qatar? @:-)

You're in DC, and the person you're replying to is in NYC. You east coasters arrive in the morning, and you can't find a connection to the morning flight but you can to the 2 am flight.

Well, some people coming from the west coast (including me from L A) had the opposite experience: Those flights arrive at DOH in the evening, and then they can't connect (on awards) to the 2am, only to the morning flight.

So is it a plot to get you to stay overnight in Doha no matter what time you arrive?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:19 pm

Looking to book an award with my AA miles and open to many destinations...Istanbul, Thailand, Africa (Cape Town and/or Safari), also open to suggestions.

What is the best reward redemption on Qatar from USA? Is a 2-3 stopover in Doha possible? Thinking March - May 2018.

Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by robdls
Looking to book an award with my AA miles and open to many destinations...Istanbul, Thailand, Africa (Cape Town and/or Safari), also open to suggestions.

What is the best reward redemption on Qatar from USA? Is a 2-3 stopover in Doha possible? Thinking March - May 2018.

Thanks!
You can only stop in Doha for 24 hours max. After that would need to book separate awards. As for destinations, I start by where I want to visit, then work back. Typically for me and my family it is African countries, and QR is great for that, including JNB and NBO. One of the few remaining bright spots on the AA partner award charts. Haven't looked at redemptions to Istanbul or Thailand.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robdls

Thanks!
To Africa (and I think) the Indian Subcontinent QR is valid for one award (due to a special AA routing exception, IIRC). For many other destinations, certainly Europe, it takes two awards to get there via Doha. So you need to check if Thailand via Doha would be two awards or one. If AA counts Turkey (Istanbul) as Europe, then it's two awards; if AA counts Turkey as Middle East, it might be one award.

So from your list, Africa is the best bet.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:35 am
Community Director Emerita

I'm stymied again trying to book Qatar.
  • I got an Awardnexus alert today that LAX-DOH was available on the date I wanted.
  • I called AA. Agent saw space but it came back unconfirmed.
  • She then told me that AA was ending its relationship with Qatar and would no longer be able to book on them.
  • I challenged her. It was evident that she was confused by the routes within the Middle East that can no longer be booked.
  • I called AA Australia. Again, agent saw space but it came back unconfirmed.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm stymied again trying to book Qatar.
  • I got an Awardnexus alert today that LAX-DOH was available on the date I wanted.
  • I called AA. Agent saw space but it came back unconfirmed.
  • She then told me that AA was ending its relationship with Qatar and would no longer be able to book on them.
  • I challenged her. It was evident that she was confused by the routes within the Middle East that can no longer be booked.
  • I called AA Australia. Again, agent saw space but it came back unconfirmed.
Wow, disturbing news! (?). If true, AA does it again without advanced announcement!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
[*]She then told me that AA was ending its relationship with Qatar and would no longer be able to book on them..[/LIST]
QR is Oneworld so complete nonsense.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL
Just tried to get NBO-DOH-LAX booked, availability is showing on BA/QF, the agent tried lots of things and was on hold for more than 30mins, but at the very end step they are having some troubles on the backend to secure the seat from QR. Sigh.. any other oneworld programs that I can use for this??
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Wow, disturbing news! (?). If true, AA does it again without advanced announcement!
no
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
no
^
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:42 pm

transit accommodation on AA awards?

I have a two flights in business booked via AA. phl-doh-bom and return mle-doh-bom .. both the layovers are about 12-14 hours.

Do AA business class awards quality for the Qatar transit accommodation service?

In some cases, Qatar Airways will arrange accommodation, entry visas, airport transfers and meals for passengers facing extended transit times in Doha.

This service may be available if all the following conditions apply:

There is no connection of less than eight hours available;
The transit time in Doha is between eight and 24 hours;
The booking does not include flights to or from Kuwait (KWI) or Muscat (MCT).
For bookings made within 72 hours of departure, transit hotel accommodation cannot be pre-booked. In cases where your ticket is booked within 72 hours from your arrival in Doha, please proceed to the transfer desk when you arrive at Hamad International Airport to arrange your transit accommodation.

Transit accommodation is at the discretion of Qatar Airways. Not all fares are eligible for this stopover service. Please contact your nearest Qatar Airways office to confirm whether this service is available for your journey. Charges may apply.

*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the Qatar Immigration Authority. Qatar Airways is not liable in the event entry is not permitted, in spite of a hotel booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.