Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-2017 GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles Int値. Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
For the current thread, please see here.

NOTE: AA uses Terminals 4 and 5, the remote 摘agle痴 Nest and some gates at TBIT

Link to Los Angeles World Airports' LAX Airport website

NOTE: LAX is always undergoing changes; be aware the information herein may change. See here for LAWA notices affecting passengers.

Link LAWA / LAX FAQ page.

Link to aa.com

Link to 14 Feb 2017 post with AA-AA Minimum Times Times

NOTE: The Admirals Clubョ lounge and Flagship Lounge in Terminal 4 at Los Angeles International (LAX) are under renovations.

Special notice

AA operate from multiple terminals at LAX. Check in at Terminal 5, east end (Gates 50-59, including Remote American Eagle terminal, gates 52A-J) or Terminal 4 (Gates 40-49, 110-159)
. (As of 31 Jan 2017)

NOTE: the 100s gates are at the Tom Bradley International Air Terminal (aka Terminal B), accessible to / from Terminal 4 by the airside connector if you are already airside and security cleared.

[AA T-6 ops moved to T-5; other airline positioning to occur 12, 14 and 16 May 2017[/B]

Check-in times as of March 2016 Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
. Some non-US require more.

If you are checking in with baggage to check at T-4, not T-5, and flying American Eagle from the remote "Eagle's Nest" 52A-J gates (31 Jan 2017 and after), you must check in 90 minutes prior to departure.

LAYOUT: LAX is like a letter "U" on its side, open end facing right. The Tom Bradley International Terminal is the bar of the "U" facing left, on the west side. Terminals 1, 2 and 3 on the north and 4 - 8 on the south. Entering the semicircular, counter-clockwise roadway serving the terminals, you will pass terminals 1, 2, 3, TBIT, 4, 5, 6, etc. There is quite a bit of construction going on and the airport roadways can get quite congested.

MCT: Though international to International or Domestic Minimum Connect Times (MCT) are listed as 2:00, arriving at the remote western 200 pads and gates (served by busses from the terminals), connecting between T4, T6, Remote Eagle terminal and TBIT, not to mention lengthy USCBP queues and the need to proceed landslide to connecting terminals and processing security may make 2:00 unrealistic at times. MCT Domestic to Domestic or International is often 0:40, but this may be unrealistic if connecting American Eagle remote terminal 52A-J and a domestic flight at TBIT, for example.

Operating terminals and gates

Terminal 4: AA primarily uses Terminal 4, Gates 40-49 but now also uses Terminal 5 (50-59, 52A-I remote Eagle gates and TBIT (110-159). Flagship Checkin, Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge are all in T-4.

Tom Bradley International Terminal ("100") gates 110-159 for domestic and international flights, with no particular flight assignment - check your gates information.

oneworld Business and Qantas First lounges in TBIT for qualified passengers. See LOUNGE DASHBOARD for further information - link.

Occasionally, the "200 gates" remote pads (bus from T-4) may be used. Terminal 4 and TBIT are connected airside by a new connector. Qualified travelers may use the TBIT oneworld Business or Qantas First lounges. See separate thread.

Terminal 5 AS OF Tue 31 Jan 2017: Legacy US flights operate from Terminal 5, gates 50 - 59. It is best to check in for American Eagle flights at T-5. Airside connection exists, as well as shuttles. Bus port at T-5 is at gate 52. American Eagle checked baggage is delivered to Terminal 5 baggage carousels; Eagle remote gates are now numbered 52A-J.

Terminal 6: Alaska Airlines flights operate from Terminal 6.

Legacy US flights operated from Terminal 6 until 31 Jan 2017; AA no longer operates out of Terminal 6.

American Eagle Remote Terminal "Eagle's Nest": Regional flights operate at a remote terminal served frequently by airside shuttle busses from bus gates 44 and 60. The remote American Eagle terminal gate numeration has changed: "May 16 2016 the remote gates at LAX formerly 44 A-J were renumbered to 60 A-J." There is a "junior" Admirals Club here. Preferred Eagle check in and baggage carousels are in T-5?

While you may check in at T-4 for American Eagle, those with baggage to check must do so no less than 90 minutes prior to departure. The preferred baggage check deadline is in place at T-5 for American Eagle.

Walking Interterminal - Landside

Note: You can walk airside between Terminal 4 and TBIT as of 25 Feb 2016. See LAX Terminal 4 - Tom Bradley Intl Terminal Secure Connector), and on to T-5 via a corridor (ground floor, by bus gate 44).

One can also walk landside between terminals on upper or lower walkway sidewalks just outside the roadway. Lower walkways are protected from the weather, upper walkways are not. Distances can be short (T-4 <-> TBIT) or long (20 minutes or less in all cases, and there are crosswalks and walkways serving north and south terminals. See north - south blue corridors in Ground Transport map, above; walkways parallel them.

For access to the Tom Bradley International Terminal ("TBIT") one may also proceed landslide and walk a short distance, or take the counter clockwise landside courtesy airport shuttle bus.

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Here is a graphic I made from a Google Earth Streetview screenshot that shows how close T4 is to TBIT. It's a two-minute walk. One minute if you are fast.

Link to fullsize map

Airside - Shuttle Bus or Walking

Airside shuttle busses:

NO BUS T-4 <-> T-5 (faster to walk pedestrian tunnel)
T-4 <-> Remote Eagle terminal (most efficient and frequent)
T-5 <-> Remote Eagle terminal (more frequent than from / to T-4)

Terminals 4 and 5: A courtesy shuttle bus operates airside between Terminal 4, ex-gate 44 bus gate, and Terminal 6 gate 60-62 through Mon 30 Jan 2017 - afterwards, Terminal gate 52, every fifteen minutes between 05:00 and 23:00; ongoing boarding pass required. At other times one either take the airside corridor T-5 Tue 31 Jan and after <-> T-4 or exit landslide and walk or take the counter-clockwise landslide courtesy shuttle bus.

American Eagle Remote Terminal: A courtesy shuttle bus serves the American Eagle remote terminal from Terminal 5, gate 52. Note: American Eagle checked baggage is delivered to Terminal 5 baggage carousels. Another shuttle runs from Terminal 4, gate 44 bus gate. A boarding pass to Gate 52A-I is required. This is the sole way of reaching these gates (other than Five Star Service passengers, who are shuttled via the Tarmac in Cadillac SUVs).

Terminal 4 - TBIT: The new pedestrian airside connector opened 25 Feb 2015. Qantas and AA passengers departing the TBIT can check in at Terminal 4, process airside, use Admirals or Flagship lounges T-4 <-> TBIT shuttles apparently ended when the airside connector open 25 Feb 2016[/hl].

Walk Terminals 4 and 5: One can walk airside using the Terminal 4 - 5 - 6 connector.

Walk Terminal 4 - TBIT airside connector: An airside connector leading to TBIT is open effective 25 Feb 2016. See here (FT) for more.

Getting from terminal to terminal, concourse to concourse, landside

Landside courtesy airport shuttle bus
  • "A" line buses: Transports passengers between terminals. "A" route operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and runs every 10 minutes (counter clockwise)

• "C" line buses: Transports passengers to and from Parking Lot C. Travelers can walk to the LAX City Bus Center from Lot C. "C" route operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and runs every 10 to 15 minutes.

• "G" line busses: Transports passengers with a valid TAP card to and from the Metro Green Line Aviation Station. Service is aligned with the rail schedule. To view, please go to www.metro.net . Click here for Green line Boarding Procedures (PDF document). TAP card is not required when taking the G Bus from LAX to the Aviation Metro Station.

• Use this link for a real time map display of shuttle bus locations and movements.

• Rental car company busses: transport passengers between terminals and car rental facilities.

Ground Transportation stops / pickups at LAX

NOTE: Rental, hotel shuttle, ワber, etc. stops are in front of each terminal on the arrivals / lower level at the island crossing the first lanes of traffic.

Security at LAX

Link to FlyerGuide information on LAX T-4 Security.

TSA PreCheck: Yes (Terminal 4 upstairs, east; Terminal 5?)

Priority Access line in a Terminal 4 is accessed from the escalator on the left end (looking at the counters) of the terminal (furthest from TBIT, closest to terminal 5), next to the Priority Access check-in area. Often there is an AA worker at the bottom of the escalator making sure only Priority Access passengers go up this escalator. The First, Business and Priority Access lines now have their own screening room far from the economy area. This private room has multiple screening lines and during peak periods additional lines are opened up.

Security for (TBIT) international arrivals proceeding to Terminal 4 is open as of February 2017. When exiting TBIT customs and baggage recheck area, turn right immediately after the exit and proceed down the hallway to the checkpoint. No Pre-Check.

Check-in and ticketing at LAX and check in times Link

Flagship Check-in: YES Marked exclusive T-4 Flagship check-in entrance 4:00 a.m. 1:00 a.m.

Five Star Service: YES

Priority and Preferred Access: YES

Curbside check-in: Yes. Terminal 4 only, including for international destinations.

Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate at LAX

Minimum time to check baggage

To help us get your bag on the same flight with you, present your bag to an airline representative for check-in no later than the cutoff time.

For flights within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands:
  • Check bags at least 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure at LAX

For flights originating in airports outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:
  • Check bags at least 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure (90 if checking for Eagle at T-4 instead of T-5)

Time to baggage delivery: expect 0:30 or more.

Ticket counter locations

Terminal 4: upon entry, Qantas to right; First and Priority Access to left; Main Cabin straight ahead.
Self-service check-in kiosks available.
Open Daily: 04:00 - 00:30 (4 am to midnight + 30)

Terminal 5, east side: OPEN Tue 31 Jan 2017
Open Daily: 4:30 AM - 12:30 AM

Terminal 6: CLOSE Tue 31 Jan 2017
Open Daily: 4:30 AM - 12:30 AM

If departing on American Eagle, suggested check-in at T-5 Tue 31 Jan 2017 or after.

Minimum and reasonable connection and check-in times at LAX

See 20 May 2016 ExpertFlyer MCT listings here:
Originally Posted by serfty
The MCT's for AA at LAX are a mess...
Q. What are minimum check-in time requirements at LAX?

AA requires arriving a minimum of 45 minutes prior to domestic departures if departing domestically (including Hawai'i, Puerto Rico and the U. S. Virgin Islands) if one has no baggage to check; 60 minutes if one must check baggage; and two hours prior to international departures.

Additionally, AA requires passengers be checked in at least 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure at LAX and "Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to domestic departure" and 30 minutes prior to international departure. Gates close to boarding 10 minutes prior to departure.

Q. What is the domestic to domestic or domestic to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?

The minimum connect time at LAX, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. International to domestic or international MCT is 2:00, but as mentioned previously, this may be insufficient. Note: MCT is generally not waived for international passengers arriving from USCBP pre-clearance airports.

See AA domestic to international MCT from ExpertFlyer Nov 2016 c/o Serfty here.

Q. If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?

There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (DFW and MIA have a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs.

Upon exiting Customs at TBIT there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area. Pre-cleared passengers arriving at TBIT will bypass USCBP (but most airlines will enforce international to domestic MCT nonetheless).

ALL arrivals are forced landside (you may pass back through security at the TBIT end of the T-4 - TBIT connector) and Terminal 4 is a short walk to your right, Terminal 6 farther; one can board courtesy airport "A" busses and be dropped off very shortly at T-4 or T-5.

NOTE: Whilst most international Arrivals process immigration and customs at TBIT, some arriving at T-4 may walk a long underground passage and process formalities at TBIT. Others may process at T-4, but if you arrive with bags those will be available at TBIT.

There is no Arrivals Loinge for AA or oneworld customers at LAX.

Q. What is AA policy if I have separate tickets and my incoming flight is delayed?

Protection for oneworld world customers travelling on separate bookings:
oneworld Global Support

Your oneworld connection is generally not officially protected, but the airline may help you and put you on the next available flight, and AA does generally protect oneworld connections at this time..

If your flights are on the same PNR:

Connecting between airlines at unfamiliar airports can be a stressful experience, especially if your flight is delayed. American Airlines recognizes the impact delays and missed connections can have on your plans and on your life. That is why we partnered with the other oneworld member airlines to form teams of connection experts: oneworld Global Support.

At select airports across the oneworld alliance network, teams are proactively monitoring connecting flights and, whenever possible, they will meet and assist you if your connection is in jeopardy. The oneworld Global Support teams will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security to help you catch your next flight. Our teams will also do everything possible to transfer your baggage so that it makes it on time to your final destination.

If you miss your connecting flight, the oneworld Global Support team will provide you with updated travel information, a new boarding pass and, where applicable, assistance with overnight accommodations.

oneworld Global Support is currently available at Chicago O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, London Heathrow, Los Angeles, Madrid-Barajas, Miami, New York JFK and Sydney. The service is offered at these airports whenever possible, subject to operational constraints.
See:
Q. Can I check my baggage through?

If you're connecting within the oneworld alliance or airlines with an interline agreement and your connection is under eleven hours, all segments on the same PNR, probably. If over that or with separate PNRs (even within oneworld) airlines without an interline agreements with AA or on separate tickets connecting with non-oneworld airlines, no.

See oneworld not requiring protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016; AA policy.

Q. Is there baggage storage at LAX?

No. Since 9/11 most USA airports have eliminated baggage storage, but you can use a baggage storage firm that will pick up, store and return your baggage. You do not have to pre-book, and they are open 24/7: http://www.laxluggagestorage.com. There are $5 pickup, $5 return and storage charges.

WiFi at LAX:

"Internet Access at Los Angeles LAX Airport. LAX Airport offers free internet access, with paid upgrades: Free Wi-Fi service for up to 44 minutes is available in most of the public areas of the Airport - provided by Advanced Wireless Group."

=================

Other resources
  • Link to AA FAQ: Will I make my connection?
Posts from 2015-2017 have been archived to ARCHIVE: 2015-2017 GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles Int値. Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2015-2017 GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles Int値. Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
From Eagle terminal, you can take shuttle to either T4 or T5... so take the T4 one. It will take anywhere between 10 to 15 minutes depending on plane traffic at the T5 and T4 alley.

Once you arrive at T4, walk upstairs and you should get to your gate just as boarding to underway.

I assume you are on a single ticket so AA will probably wait for you to board. The late flights to Hawaii almost never leave on time because they always wait for connecting traffic.
We are on a single ticket and there are 4 of us. That is great to hear that that they might wait a few minutes for connecting traffic just in case. We are willing to run to make it but it will be frustrating if we have to wait in a long line for the shuttle.

Originally Posted by JDiver
AA won't put you on a codeshare. If they do endorse your ticket (take carevthey do it correctly) they will do it on a prime flight. But as has been stated, as long as your flight arrives in a timely manner, you should be okay taking the shuttle bus to T-4.

Ironically, Alaska operates a SAN-KOA nonstop flight.
I saw the nonstop flight but the cheapest flight was AA SAN-KOA connecting through LAX. We actually live in the LA area but the tickets SAN to KOA were over 100 dollars cheaper per ticket one way (so $400 for the 4 of us) if we drove to San Diego. What does "endorse" the ticket mean?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:58 am

Noob Question here

I am looking to fly from YYZ to Australia via LAX.

The layover time is 1 hour 30 mins in LAX.

Both legs of the flight are being purchased together, and are both through American Airlines.

Will they transfer my bags forward for me?
Will 1.5 hours be enough to make my next flight, and for them to get my luggage on?

I am assuming so or figure they would not offer such a flight, but still nervous about it.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Johnsmith123
Noob Question here

I am looking to fly from YYZ to Australia via LAX.

The layover time is 1 hour 30 mins in LAX.

Both legs of the flight are being purchased together, and are both through American Airlines.

Will they transfer my bags forward for me?
Will 1.5 hours be enough to make my next flight, and for them to get my luggage on?

I am assuming so or figure they would not offer such a flight, but still nervous about it.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

No worries. You'll pre-clear immigration and customs in YYZ, and as your sectors are on the same PNR your bag(s) will be checked through.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:34 am

Thank you!!!

I assume in that case that 1.5 hours should be plenty

One more question if you know the answer.

On the way home I will be flying from New Zealand to Toronto, with a stop in LAX again for the same amount of time.
I am a Canadian citizen....not sure if I will again clear US Customs in advance in New Zealand, or if I will have to do it at LAX?

If anyone knows the answer it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Johnsmith123; Jul 9, 2017 at 11:41 am
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
You will need to clear immigration, collect bags and then clear customs after arrival at LAX.

Once through follow the signs for connections and head up the ramp.

At the top you will find the place where you can redeposit your bags before ending up landside.

From there, don't go outside, just turn right and head to the far end of the hall where you will find transit security.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I assume in that case that 1.5 hours should be plenty
Yes; your flight to Australia will start boarding about 45 minutes after you land, which is ample time unless your flight from Canada is late. Your flight to Australia will likely depart from either T4 or TBIT, which are connected airside. It might add another ten minutes if you have to walk from T4 to TBIT.

On the way home I will be flying from New Zealand to Toronto, with a stop in LAX again for the same amount of time.
I am a Canadian citizen....not sure if I will again clear US Customs in advance in New Zealand, or if I will have to do it at LAX?
Your outbound flight clears US Immigration and Customs in Canada because your departure airport is a U.S. pre-clearance facility. There are no pre-clearance facilities in New Zealand (or Australia, for that matter) so on your inbound flights you will have to clear at LAX. An international to international flight connection at LAX requires a minimum connect time of two hours, so if you only have 1.5 hours, that doesn't sound like a legal connection to me; assuming this is also booked on the same ticket, you should contact the airline and have a lnger connection.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Yes; your flight to Australia will start boarding about 45 minutes after you land, which is ample time unless your flight from Canada is late. Your flight to Australia will likely depart from either T4 or TBIT, which are connected airside. It might add another ten minutes if you have to walk from T4 to TBIT.

Your outbound flight clears US Immigration and Customs in Canada because your departure airport is a U.S. pre-clearance facility. There are no pre-clearance facilities in New Zealand (or Australia, for that matter) so on your inbound flights you will have to clear at LAX. An international to international flight connection at LAX requires a minimum connect time of two hours, so if you only have 1.5 hours, that doesn't sound like a legal connection to me; assuming this is also booked on the same ticket, you should contact the airline and have a lnger connection.
Thanks...both legs of that flight are on a single ticket from American Airlines. I'll call them. 1.5 hrs did seem short if I need to clear security.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:05 pm

Just off the phone with AA

Apparently they said that 2 hours is the minimum, but because both my legs are on American Airlines, I "Should" be okay. So definitely no guarantees....then if I miss my flight I have to sit on standby. Not sure what to do....don't really want to book another flight that has 2 stops.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:49 pm

Just off the phone with AA

Apparently they said that 2 hours is the minimum, but because both my legs are on American Airlines, I "Should" be okay. So definitely no guarantees....then if I miss my flight I have to sit on standby. Not sure what to do....don't really want to book another flight that has 2 stops.
I'm very surprised that AA ticketed it with a connection that doesn't meet the minimum connect time (MCT). Normally, if a reservations agents books such a connection, the reservation system displays an error, and if they persist, the ticketing department refused to issue the ticket. The MCT takes into account needing to clear immigration and customs, and reclear security, as well as the need to walk from TBIT to T4. Being on AA both legs doesn't help much (it avoids the possibility of needing to get from a terminal on the other side of LAX).

If you have Global Entry (or NEXUS, which includes Global Entry) and have carry-on baggage only, you can realistically make a 90 minute connection, provided the incoming flight from AKL isn't late. If you don't have Global Entry or NEXUS, even two hours might not be enough if immigration or customs is backed up with huge lines. Having checked bags adds the delay of needing to wait for the bags to be unloaded.

At any rate, since you are holding a ticket that doesn't meet the minimum connect time, I believe AA has an obligation to switch your flights at no cost to you, although they may want the same inventory to be available on the new flights; I think this can be waived. If the reservations agent isn't helpful, you can politely ask for a resolutions agent.

I'm not sure which date you're flying or on which flights. Here are the AA prime flights I see for a date picked at random:

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing AKL on 07/17/17 12:00 AM for YYZ
Flying AA  
Connecting at LAX 

Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Available Classes
1 Connection
AA 82         0      AKL                LAX                788       Daily           J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 
                     07/17/17 1:00 PM   07/17/17 6:25 AM             100% / 3m
AA 2654       0      LAX                YYZ                319       Daily           J0 D0 I0 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 
                     07/17/17 8:45 AM   07/17/17 4:47 PM             71% / 37m
Which is a 2:20 connection; 20 minutes more than the minimum connect time.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
When is this trip happening? Historically, QF, NZ, and UA change the departure times from Australia and NZ to North America when the Southern Hemisphere switches from daylight saving time to standard time and vice versa. Has to do with curfew hours in SYD and MEL or something like that and the cascading effect on other airports like AKL and BNE due to various connections. I assume AA may do that as well.

So the connection may appear to be illegal now but may be ok once AA updates the fall schedule.

But either way, I would call AA and sort it out.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:26 pm

I'm very surprised that AA ticketed it with a connection that doesn't meet the minimum connect time (MCT). Normally, if a reservations agents books such a connection, the reservation system displays an error, and if they persist, the ticketing department refused to issue the ticket. The MCT takes into account needing to clear immigration and customs, and reclear security, as well as the need to walk from TBIT to T4. Being on AA both legs doesn't help much (it avoids the possibility of needing to get from a terminal on the other side of LAX).

If you have Global Entry (or NEXUS, which includes Global Entry) and have carry-on baggage only, you can realistically make a 90 minute connection, provided the incoming flight from AKL isn't late. If you don't have Global Entry or NEXUS, even two hours might not be enough if immigration or customs is backed up with huge lines. Having checked bags adds the delay of needing to wait for the bags to be unloaded.

At any rate, since you are holding a ticket that doesn't meet the minimum connect time, I believe AA has an obligation to switch your flights at no cost to you, although they may want the same inventory to be available on the new flights; I think this can be waived. If the reservations agent isn't helpful, you can politely ask for a resolutions agent.

I'm not sure which date you're flying or on which flights. Here are the AA prime flights I see for a date picked at random:

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing AKL on 07/17/17 12:00 AM for YYZ
Flying AA  
Connecting at LAX 

Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Available Classes
1 Connection
AA 82         0      AKL                LAX                788       Daily           J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 
                     07/17/17 1:00 PM   07/17/17 6:25 AM             100% / 3m
AA 2654       0      LAX                YYZ                319       Daily           J0 D0 I0 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 
                     07/17/17 8:45 AM   07/17/17 4:47 PM             71% / 37m
Which is a 2:20 connection; 20 minutes more than the minimum connect time.

First of all, I very much appreciate both of you taking the time to give such detailed replies.

The flight in question is from AKL to YYZ (connecting in LAX) on March 15, 2018. AA82 and AA1845.

I did call American Airlines and they basically said that if I book it and miss my second leg, I will end up being on standby for another AA flight (all of which have additional connections and are much longer as they are not direct + another layover)

I am thinking of changing my travel plans for the route home because of this. Would prefer to avoid ending up in a standby mess.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:51 am

I am thinking of changing my travel plans for the route home because of this. Would prefer to avoid ending up in a standby mess.
I don't know what kind of fare you're on so I don't know your restrictions or your preferences. If it was me, I'd want to schedule a long connection (e.g., 18-23 hours) at SYD or LAX, get a hotel, go out for dinner and a walk, get a good night's sleep in a real bed.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:40 pm

I don't know what kind of fare you're on so I don't know your restrictions or your preferences. If it was me, I'd want to schedule a long connection (e.g., 18-23 hours) at SYD or LAX, get a hotel, go out for dinner and a walk, get a good night's sleep in a real bed.
Nah...just want to get home ASAP to my own bed.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
If you are indeed on a brisk connection time via one ticket for the entire booking upon arrival, do look for the neon quick connection booth after you exit the plane in LAX from Oceania before heading to immigration. They will have a special envelope with your boarding passes and the neon folder gets you into special lines at every location. Keep it visible and always ask where to go before getting in any line that looks more than 5 minutes.

It will not be a leisure connection, but you just have to do the best that you can.

Rasheed
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Customs at terminal 5 at LAX??

Hi. Can't seem to find the answer. I'll be flying in to LAX from Mexico and connecting to a domestic flight. For the past few days, it appears the inbound flight from Mexico arrives at terminal 5 and the domestic departs from terminal 5. All mainline flights. Is there a customs facility in terminal 5? Just curious. Many thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.