FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2017 AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX, KA availability, etc. (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1949797-archive-2017-aa-award-cathay-pacific-cx-ka-availability-etc-master-thd.html)

metoo Jan 1, 2017 4:04 am

ARCHIVE: 2017 AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX, KA availability, etc. (master thd)

CX CMB to HKG for January 8th showed up on BA site when I checked now. Not sure whether it was loaded today or the last couple of days as I had no data or internet connection. Only showing one economy and no biz available. Is there a likelihood that the biz class for this date and flight show up at a later date or does no availability as of today means no availability ever? Also if there was a biz award available and was taken already yesterday , will CX ever release more seats?

Thanks

FlyerBeek Jan 1, 2017 4:16 am

Originally Posted by metoo (Post 27687410)
CX CMB to HKG for January 8th...Is there a likelihood that the biz class for this date and flight show up at a later date or does no availability as of today means no availability ever? Also if there was a biz award available and was taken already yesterday , will CX ever release more seats?

I would say it's highly unlikely that J award space will open up on that flight. That being said, CX does certainly release award inventory closer to departure (even if previous award space has been released/booked) - just don't expect every single revenue seat in business class to ultimately made available. BA.com continues to not display close-in CX award inventory accurately, so you'll need to check via other means (calling AA, Qantas, KVS, etc). Good luck, but I wouldn't anticipate much success for this flight

-FlyerBeek

AQ172 Jan 1, 2017 5:28 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 27686763)
Not sure if it will be allowed, but you could try HND-(JL)-CAN-(UL)-BKK on 1/3. Maybe also NRT-(JL)-HAN on 1/2 and HAN-(QR)-BKK on 1/3, but the overnight in HAN will require a visa, which will likely be hard to get at this late juncture.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I tried a few times with various reps, but wasn't successful.

Looks like biz class availability has dried up on JL and CX over the next week and I'm stuck now. Sucks since it always seemed last minute openings were still presenting it self last few weeks. Expert flyer still says J7 for Japan flight 61 today, but AA rep says no award redemption available.

I might have to bite the bullet and just buy a ticket outright to get there now :(. Probably also look to get there via coach with miles if I can.

Livingintheair Jan 1, 2017 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Livingintheair (Post 27675940)
Hey everyone, booked my first CX award the other day. Currently in coach with my SO but hoping to switch to business. What are the odds of two business class award seats opening up on these flights?

3/18 ORD -> HKG on CX 807
3/26 HKG -> ORD on CX 806

Any thoughts?

TravelLawyer Jan 1, 2017 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Livingintheair (Post 27688124)
Any thoughts?

You should get a subscription to EF to look at flight loads closer to your dates. So far, your flights look fully open so chances look decent, but with 3 months out, it's not really possible to predict with any certainty.

TravelLawyer Jan 1, 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by AQ172 (Post 27687607)
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I tried a few times with various reps, but wasn't successful.

Looks like biz class availability has dried up on JL and CX over the next week and I'm stuck now. Sucks since it always seemed last minute openings were still presenting it self last few weeks. Expert flyer still says J7 for Japan flight 61 today, but AA rep says no award redemption available.

I might have to bite the bullet and just buy a ticket outright to get there now :(. Probably also look to get there via coach with miles if I can.

Holiday travel on the Asian airlines are TIGHT right now. I flew first class Hkg-ord yesterday and all seats were occupied except one (broken) seat. It was also full on my way there 2 weeks ago.

jamienbaker Jan 1, 2017 8:52 am

Originally Posted by AtomicLush (Post 27688164)
You should get a subscription to EF to look at flight loads closer to your dates. So far, your flights look fully open so chances look decent, but with 3 months out, it's not really possible to predict with any certainty.

And awardnexus to send you an alert should awards appear.

77W_12A Jan 1, 2017 9:29 am

Originally Posted by metoo (Post 27687410)
CX CMB to HKG for January 8th showed up on BA site when I checked now. Not sure whether it was loaded today or the last couple of days as I had no data or internet connection. Only showing one economy and no biz available. Is there a likelihood that the biz class for this date and flight show up at a later date or does no availability as of today means no availability ever? Also if there was a biz award available and was taken already yesterday , will CX ever release more seats?

Thanks

This CMB flight was easy to get award seats. Not anymore. Lots of Mainland Chinese visitors flying to Sri Lanka these days and ex CMB fares don't help with it either.

The last part of January will be tough getting award seats on regional flights due to Chinese New Year.

@AQ172 why don't you try MH from NRT to BKK via KUL?

Happy Jan 1, 2017 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush (Post 27688171)
Holiday travel on the Asian airlines are TIGHT right now. I flew first class Hkg-ord yesterday and all seats were occupied except one (broken) seat. It was also full on my way there 2 weeks ago.

It seems the only window during the holiday season was the few days before X'mas based on the info posted upthread.

CNY period is tough, both before and after, longhaul and regional.

I think next year we would pick the window before X'mas for going and return in Mid January.

brownie20 Jan 1, 2017 6:48 pm

Just called AA to ticket an award on Cathay and was told the taxes on a TPE-HKG-BOS coach award was $116.56. Was a little surprised because I don't remember paying over $100 for a one way award before to Asia so I asked the agent to break down the fee. When he got to the $40 award processing fee I asked him what that was and he offered to transfer me to a supervisor for further clarification. Of note I had already asked for a supervisor because he wasn't able to ticket the award - apparently someone had entered the middle and last names as the last name and the agent wasn't able to correct the name and said I needed to pay a change fee in order to have the ticket go through. The supervisor reviewed the fees and when I asked about the $40 award booking fee he said it was the standard but as a one time courtesy he would waive the fee?! I politely stated I thought that Cathay awards were not subject to a phone fee because they can not be booked online. My final fee went down to $76.56 - I think that sounds about right (currently abroad and i don't have my notes on previous bookings with me)? Thank you in advance for any insight! :)

metoo Jan 1, 2017 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 27688863)
It seems the only window during the holiday season was the few days before X'mas based on the info posted upthread.

CNY period is tough, both before and after, longhaul and regional.

I think next year we would pick the window before X'mas for going and return in Mid January.

Yesterday only 1 economy class available but today 3. However still no availability for biz so keeping fingers crossed

DDResq Jan 1, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm still looking for J on CX from JFK to HKG on 1/5 or 1/6. Waited until 10:30 AM local time in Hong Kong to see if nee inventory loaded, but there are still no J awards available to AA at all this week. I have to fly one of those days (preferably on CX 845 one of those day) and am starting to get nervous given that I have to be in homg Kong by 8:00 AM on 1/7. When should I panic and what are my options?

seawolf Jan 1, 2017 8:30 pm

I would suggest being flexible on leaving any day this week and prepare to leave within 24 to 4 hours to departure.

I would also buy a backup ticket.

First week of new year is peak. Economy is sold out or close to be sold out which means CX unlikely to release J awards and keep them to be used to upgrade premium economy and economy to handle oversells.

highlifex90 Jan 1, 2017 8:39 pm

I'm trying to get from MNL-ORD between 1/9-1/11.

Can anyone give me an idea if availability from MNL-HKG is going to open up on 1/9-1/10. Hoping for 2 J seats. I've been finding some availability for the TPAC flights but cant seem to find availability on the MNL-HKG to connect.

flyingeph12 Jan 1, 2017 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by DDResq (Post 27690518)
I'm still looking for J on CX from JFK to HKG on 1/5 or 1/6. Waited until 10:30 AM local time in Hong Kong to see if nee inventory loaded, but there are still no J awards available to AA at all this week. I have to fly one of those days (preferably on CX 845 one of those day) and am starting to get nervous given that I have to be in homg Kong by 8:00 AM on 1/7. When should I panic and what are my options?

Why not do JL through NRT? It looks like there is availability on 1/6 (and 1/5 if you are willing to downgrade to Y on the NRT-HKG leg). Personally, I prefer JL to CX anyways (unless you really want a nonstop).