FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2017 FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1949795-archive-2017-faq-whats-systemwide-upgrade-swu-evip-vip-master-thread.html)

BThumme Jan 9, 2017 9:22 pm

ARCHIVE: 2017 FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? master thread

Can two different people use an SWU on the same reservation?

My friend has a SWU that is expiring. My brother is getting married and I found a flight to his destination that has confirmation in C. Would he be able to use his expiring SWU for one pax, and me the other on the same reservation?

flyingeph12 Jan 10, 2017 12:01 am

Originally Posted by BThumme (Post 27734835)
Can two different people use an SWU on the same reservation?

My friend has a SWU that is expiring. My brother is getting married and I found a flight to his destination that has confirmation in C. Would he be able to use his expiring SWU for one pax, and me the other on the same reservation?

I am slightly confused by your question. In general, you would need 2 SWUs if there are 2 people on the reservation.

BThumme Jan 10, 2017 9:17 am

Right.

One of my friends has a SWU that is expiring (January I think he said). Would he be able to use that on my brothers PNR for one passenger (since he has one expiring), and myself use another SWU to cover the second person on the same reservation? There is available C space so it can be confirmed right now.

JJeffrey Jan 10, 2017 9:20 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 27735331)
I am slightly confused by your question. In general, you would need 2 SWUs if there are 2 people on the reservation.

Sounds like 1 SWU would be coming from the OP's account and the 2nd SWU from the friend's account. It's definitely possible although it might involve splitting the PNR's. No reason not to call AA and see.

BThumme Jan 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 27737371)
Sounds like 1 SWU would be coming from the OP's account and the 2nd SWU from the friend's account. It's definitely possible although it might involve splitting the PNR's. No reason not to call AA and see.

One followup question first, as I'm new to being Ex Plat so haven't had any SWUs expire.

My brother is traveling in march. If a SWU expires in January/February, can it not be used for march (that has current confirmed C space)?

EDIT: looks like I was wrong per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-2014-a.html#

carsnoceans Jan 13, 2017 9:16 am

AA screws SWU upgrades (again) - Help?

I had been dismissing the negativity towards AA so far but the amount of their incompetence astonishes me. Here is another firsthand experience...

I am booked to fly this evening on AA with another pax (non-elite). Generally, I resort to free UG but I had expiring SWU's so I requested those and got put on WL (at time of booking as well). Given the recent changes about travel companions and PALL list, I was feeling good on clearing my requests.

Couple of days my EF alert went off with C availability. I called up EXP line and the nice AAgent confirmed C1 available for UG. Since I have 2 pax on RL, she recommended splitting the RL (but keeping them cross-referenced) so both can be upgraded individually. Ofcourse, I requested that my non-elite travel companion be confirmed to J and I will stay on WL. She confirmed, put in a request for reissue and that was end of it. However, when I pulled up the new RL online I couldnt see/ change any details on it. It seemed a little weird but IT glitches happen and I waived it off.

Yesterday, I got another alert from EF and little later my RL went into limbo as well. Reissue with J seat? Hopefully.. :rolleyes: Around 2am, I couldn't check-in with either RL's or see any trip details. Called up EXP line and they said - neither of us have been confirmed in J however both are Y seat assignments were taken off? I mentioned my past conversation about cross-referenced RL's and all that I got was a shrug from EXP Agent. :mad::mad: After 25mins on hold and back-forth with IT, we both finally got our original seat assignments but now both are on different RLs. This means she won't have my status on PALL list.

It was a fairly simple request. I can't imagine how did experienced EXP agents screw it up so bad and are offering no help or recourse. With under 8hrs to flight, this is under airport control now and I'll have to deal with obstinate, thick-headed GA's and explain them about the cross-referenced RL's.

I am still certain about securing an upgrade for myself but not so sure about her. Do I have any recourse or way to resolve this situation?

josmul123 Jan 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Apologies if this is answered upthread. It's a VERY long thread.

Recently made EXP. Found a flight later this year that has C availability and put a reservation on hold. I'm not going to know until tomorrow if the dates will actually work for me. Called EXP desk to see if SWU can be applied to a reservation on hold and was told they "have to ticket if any segment is upgraded" and that they "used to be able to do it."

Is this the policy, or should I HUCA?

G-CIVC Jan 13, 2017 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by josmul123 (Post 27758594)
Apologies if this is answered upthread. It's a VERY long thread.

Recently made EXP. Found a flight later this year that has C availability and put a reservation on hold. I'm not going to know until tomorrow if the dates will actually work for me. Called EXP desk to see if SWU can be applied to a reservation on hold and was told they "have to ticket if any segment is upgraded" and that they "used to be able to do it."

Is this the policy, or should I HUCA?

I would definitely HUCA!

josmul123 Jan 14, 2017 5:37 am

Called again because I was ready to book the ticket. This rep also said the reservation had to be ticketed before the upgrade could be applied. I inquired as to whether or not it was a new policy, and she said "Our system...Well, it's not a policy per se, but more of a work around."

I'm not sure what that means, but I was able to score the confirmed SWU in a world where C inventory is scarce, so I'm fairly happy.

econometrics Jan 14, 2017 11:59 am

Originally Posted by josmul123 (Post 27759506)
Called again because I was ready to book the ticket. This rep also said the reservation had to be ticketed before the upgrade could be applied. I inquired as to whether or not it was a new policy, and she said "Our system...Well, it's not a policy per se, but more of a work around."

I'm not sure what that means, but I was able to score the confirmed SWU in a world where C inventory is scarce, so I'm fairly happy.

Very nice.

It was always my understanding that you have to be ticketed to apply a SWU.

What was the routing, BTW?

AAExecPlatFlier Jan 14, 2017 3:14 pm

No. At least the LAA agents can ticket with C class.

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 27760842)
Very nice.

What was the routing, BTW?

econometrics Jan 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier (Post 27761575)
No. At least the LAA agents can ticket with C class.

Right. But HOLD the ticket in C for 24 hours? That's what the OP was originally asking about. I've never tried that. Usually whenever I find C on a routing, I just book it. ^

vasantn Jan 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme (Post 27738601)
One followup question first, as I'm new to being Ex Plat so haven't had any SWUs expire.

My brother is traveling in march. If a SWU expires in January/February, can it not be used for march (that has current confirmed C space)?

EDIT: looks like I was wrong per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-2014-a.html#

Worth a try. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 27760842)

Nope.

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 27761793)
Right. But HOLD the ticket in C for 24 hours? That's what the OP was originally asking about.

Done it countless times, but not recently. Dunno if things have changed.

hiima Jan 14, 2017 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 27761793)
Right. But HOLD the ticket in C for 24 hours? That's what the OP was originally asking about. I've never tried that. Usually whenever I find C on a routing, I just book it. ^

I mean you can always book and cancel within 24

prw555 Jan 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Cleared SWU protection

Does anyone have a link to OW (specifically AA) on policy for a cleared SWU protection when original flight goes MX/other?

I've seen numerous issues with cleared PAX in LAX being denied CX J on a AA cleared SWU, citing original fare was "too cheap" eg not full Y.