Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade SWU (ex-VIP / VIPOW / "eVIP") 2017 on
Please read this wiki for important information not documented elsewhere.

The current thread can be reached here.

NOTE: CHANGES

NOTE: Upgrade waitlist priority is 1) Status, followed by 2) Rolling EQD earning for last 365 days as of 20 May 2017. Link to FT thread.
  • Executive Platinum members automatically earn four SWU when they earn 100,000 EQM (these expire at the end of the following status year).

• Executive Platinum members will automatically earn two further SWU at 150,000 and 200,000 EQM
(No further SWUs are forthcoming at 250,000 EQM or after, though CK often have access to two more.)

Remember: EQM earning will vary from 0 to 3.0 EQM per base mile, based on eligible fare class and marketing airline, on EQM earning fares.
NOTE: As of January 2017

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized is you'll be listed according to your elite status level followed by (the type of upgrade - SWU and Upgrade Award, aka miles + copay), the number of EQD (Elite Qualifying Dollars) earned in the (rolling) last 12 months."

Upgrades are prioritized first by the following elite status levels:

Concierge Key SM . (up to 120 hours out)
Executive Platinum (up to 100 hours out)
Platinum Pro . . . . (up to 72 hours out)
Platinum . . . . . . . (up to 48 hours out)
Gold . . . . . . . . . . (up to 24 hours out)

After status tier, upgrades are prioritized by the type of upgrade (SWU and miles + copay before 500 Mile e-upgrades /UDU; your last 12 months' Elite Qualifying Dollar spend on AA. See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on) (EQD will include the EQD offset one might earn from spend on their Barclaycard Aviator Red or Silver card, as announced elsewhere in this forum.)

Date of request has no bearing on upgrade priority other than after all other priorities have been met and there’s a highly unlikely tie.

From AA.com... "Before you get to the airport, requests for systemwide and mileage award upgrades are processed independently from 500-mile upgrade requests.

At the airport, upgrades requested will be prioritized in this order:
  1. Status tier
    [^]Rolling 12 month EQD
  2. Systemwide and mileage + copay upgrades
  3. 500-mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  4. 500-mile upgrades on award tickets"
See: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp

Systemwide Upgrade FAQ:

Q. What are Systemwide Upgrades, exactly?

Electronic Systemwide Upgrades, abbreviated SWU, also previously referred to as eVIPs or VIPs, are electronic instruments earned as stated previously. SWU generally allow the owner to upgrade up to three segments, more or less in the same direction, on any flights AA flies with their own aircraft (not valid on partners or codeshares - must be marketed and operated by AA), on most paid, published fares to the next class of service. (Successful upgrades on a single SWU include EZE-MIA-JFK-LHR, NRT-LAX-DFW-LHR.)

Q. When do SWU clear?

Upgrades can clear immediately if the appropriate inventory is available (e.g., Coach to Business (and domestic First on two class aircraft) requires "C" class to be available, Business to First requires "A" class to be available). Otherwise, SWU may be waitlisted in priority of AAdvantage status, followed by last 12 months EQD spend (and within those, by fare class if they are full fare Y). SWU and EXP UDU have the same priority once the flight and associated upgrade / PALL list has passed to airport control.

Q. Can I use SWU on codeshares operated by AA?

No. (Though 001 AA ticketing is not a requirement), the flight must be marketed and operated by AA.

Q. Are any fare classes ineligible / invalid for SWU upgrades?

Some government and consolidator fares may not be upgraded; Basic Economy flights may not be upgraded. Award flights may not be upgraded with SWU. See post #683 by JonNYC:

[quote]Invalid (for SWU upgrade)
  • Basic Economy tickets, regardless of status level
  • Military fares*
  • Government fares*
  • Agency/industry discounts
  • Employee travel booked in E
  • AAdvantage/promotion free or companion tickets
  • Ticket designators that require a certificate (CEN20, etc.) - contact MSD to verify
  • MSD Site products (ticket designator SITE)
  • CAT25/CAT25 Group Fares for MCLA
  • Charter flights
  • Infant tickets
  • Purchased extra seats (one passenger)
  • Opaque fares
  • Award tickets
*The reason for not allowing SWU / eVIP upgrades to be used in conjunction with a military/government fare is not based on the fare level (although they are discounted), but rather it is based on the full flexibility those fares provide. Military/government fares provide a huge benefit to the customer already in that they can be booked at the last minute and canceled or changed with no advance notice and no penalties. As such, they are not allowed to be used in conjunction with a SWU.

Can I still make use if my SWU and credit the flight(s) to another airline?

You are not supposed to. If switching from AAdvantage to another scheme's FFN, please be aware: Benefitting from a privilege granted for your AAdvantage status and changing your FFN to earn on another airline is generally prohibited by AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade).

From the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link)

Q. Can I see SWU eligible flights on aa.com? If not, where?

aa.com will also reflect if a SWU can be used as you book - not that there is availability. One can see required inventory (A or C) using ExpertFlyer or other tools.

Q. What is the priority order for SWU wait list clearing?

Priority for wait listing is based first on AAdvantage status of requestor, then by rolling EQD earning during las 12 months; within those criteria, full fare (J or Y) trumps discounted fares.

NOTE: once the booking goes to airport control you may have to request your SWU request be reactivated. Those travel companions previously prioritized by the sponsor's status no longer revert to their own status at airport control.

Q. How do I know if my SWU request has been waitlisted?

You can see it online only 2-3 days prior to your depature. It will say "Systemwide Upgrade Requested". Otherwise, there is no way to know unless you call AA again and ask. In AA app you can see upgrade waiting list from 4 hours prior to the departure. Thank you (link) MrJBoy for clarifying).

If my SWU clears on AA but the flights is cancelled or delayed, and I get put on another AA or partner flight, will my Upgrade be preserved / honored?

On AA and Joint Business Venture partners (AY, BA, IB, JL, QF), AA will attempt to honor the upgrade. On other airline partners it is unlikely.

Q. Can I gift SWUs to others, and will my or their status apply?

You may certainly gift SWU to others. They will have to provide you their information, including PNR, and you will have to call it in. Your status can carry over to one treeling companion (on your itinerary) until the SWU passes to airport control; otherwise, SWU priority will depend on the user's AAdvantage status followed by date of upgrade request.

Q. What if I apply a SWU to a traveling companion?

That traveling companion "borrows" your status in terms of priority on the upgrade waitlist until the waitlisted passes to airport control.

Q. Can I sell or purchase SWUs to / from others (e.g. on eBay or CraigsList)?

While SWU may be gifted to others, AAdvantage rules prohibit selling / purchasing, trading or bartering various instruments, including SWU. A sold SWU will, if caught by AA Corporate Security AAdvantage Fraud (and they actively seek these out), cause SWU / upgrade cancellation at minimum and may even include closing the seller's account with forfeiture of miles, upgrade instruments and even elite status.

Further useful details about using SWU

. . . . Four SWUs are earned by Executive Platinum AAdvantage members when they cross the threshold to EXP, and their expiration is essentially the same as the earned status - January 31 of the ensuing status year (e.g. earn May 5 2017, the status and SWUs are good through 31 Jan 2019).

. . . . Two SWUs are earned by Executive Platinum AAdvantage members when they cross the 150,000 and 200,000 EQ EQ Miles; their expiration is essentially the same as the earned status as described above. (Further increments of 50,000 EQM past 200,000 earn no more SWU.)

. . . . Two SWUs (more) are earned by Concierge Key members.

. . . . Four SWUs are earned by those crossing Million Miler thresholds of 2MM and every Million Miles milestone thereafter.

. . . . ● SWUs may be transferred or gifted (not bargained, bartered or sold) to anyone the owner chooses - the owner must authorize the transfer and provide at minimum the designated person's name, frequent flyer #, and PNR. Note fees and taxes may be due, such as APD / Air Passenger Duty due for flights originating in the UK (or with connections exceeding 23:59).

. . . . ● AA tends to protect passengers granted upgrades with SWUs if IROPS move them to other oneworld flights, particularly JBV partners (AA, AY, BA, IB, JL, preserving already granted upgrades (not waitlisted).

. . . . ● N.B. AA will no longer attach expiring (31 Jan 2017 or -18) SWUs to be attached to existing upgrade inventory 1 Feb and after unless one is a very high value customer; AA now has software in place to prevent this, but if you consider yourself a high value customer, you can ask. Speculatively, EXP through 31 Jan 2018 with Concierge Key and / or 4 or 5 Helix / "Eagles" rating and lots of D and above revenue. See FAQ: New changes 90%+ eliminate post-expiration SWU use (Jun 2014)

. . . . ● If you don't want to wait list your SWU so that it automatically encumbered when a domestic segment becomes available for upgrade, but only want the domestic segments to clear if the international segment clears, ask the AA EP agent to waitlist the international portion but "DSR" the domestic segments; that way, the domestic segments will only clear if the international segment clears.

. . . . ● SWU application can include co-terminals: JonNYC, post #601: "This is the current list of MAC airports, and, as far as I understand it, are generally recognized for revenue tickets including SWU application to same:
  • WAS (DCA, IAD)
  • DFW (DFW, DAL)
  • HOU (HOU, IAH)
  • NYC (JFK, LGA) (I think there is a separate rule that says EWR is always part of NYC for this purpose as well)
  • LON (LGW, LHR, STN)
  • SLU (UVF, SLU)
  • TYO (HND, NRT)"
. . . . UK Air Passenger Duty / APD for LHR/UK departures: (Often incorrectly called "Luxury tax"): Departing from the UK (or on a layover of 24:00 or longer via the U.K.), you'll be charged the full APD (the lowest cabin class - usually economy - pays only half APD). This applies for upgrades to business only. Upgrading business to first doesn't incur this, (since your business ticket already included the full APD). This does not apply TO the U.K. or to connecting in under 24:00 in the U.K. Other airports may impose other taxes, e.g. HKG is USD $2.80.

. . . . ● Through (two flights with the same flight number, or through flights with stops) flights pose challenges insofar as upgrade availability must exist on all sectors. You may have to call AA to use a SWU on through flights.

Suggested reading:

aa.com: SYSTEMWIDE UPGRADES AND FAQS

FlyerTalk: Upgrades / SWUs / eVIPs and UK APD / Air Passenger Duty questions

New *internal* changes will 90%+ eliminate post-expiration use of SWUs by JonNYC

This post in the thread entitled "Reversing Use of SWU. Is this possible?" (it is not. AA no longer allows cancelling a SWU and substituting "stickers".)

Updated 30 Aug 2017 - JDiver

MODERATOR NOTE

Posts prior to 2016 may be read here: ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

NOTE: This thread is for the discussion of the mechanics of AA systemwide upgrades. For "chance of upgrade clearing" questions, please use this thread: 2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Please note there is a separate thread discussing lost / missing/ misappropriated SWUs:

Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

American AAdvantage Forum Moderator Team

FAQ: Internal IT changes eliminate 90+% of post-expiry SWU use 26 Jun 2014
Q. I've been able to encumber expiring SWU past their expiration date if I find the proper upgrade inventory available prior to that date. Is this feature still available to Executive Platinum members?

A. Not for most. The option was possible due to software limitations. New software, AAcoRN, put into place 26 June 2014, will prevent this from occurring for "unqualified" members; only "qualified" members will be allowed to encumber SWU past their expiry date in the future. (See post #1)

Q. How do I know if I am a "qualified" member?

A. You can try to call and encumber expiring SWU past their expiry. If you are not allowed to, you aren't.

Q. So, exactly who does AA consider "qualified"?

A. A very high value AAdvantage member, as measured by the internal "Helix" system, which assigns an "Eagles" ranking from 1 to 5 (the more, the better).

Q. I've never heard of this. When did it start?

A. AA's rating system was originally based on three colors, green, yellow and red, which changed to 1-3 Eagles and was later expanded to 1-5 Eagles.

Q. How are Eagles scores assigned? Are they static, or do they change?

A. It has been said spend and fare classes (think lots of annual travel in fare classes of D and above) may affect your Eagles score, as well as OSO and negative incidents you have experienced that might result in your moving your custom to another airline. It is also said your Helix score is updated periodically, perhaps even nightly.

Q. How can I find out my Helix score / how many Eagles I have?

A. You can't. AA employees are not empowered to discuss the Helix system with customers. If you normally get extra SWU once you've made EP, are allowed to extend SWU use and find EP desk agents are willing to bend rules for you often, speculative, you might have 4-5 Eagles rating.

Q. So, this is a hidden tier higher than Executive Platinum?

A. No, because it doesn't give you privileges beyond EP beyond those mentioned, e.g. courtesy Club membership or additional priority for boarding or upgrades, like Concierge Key may.

Q. Do others than Executive Platinum have Helix / Eagles scores?

A. It can be safely assumed all AAdvantage members have such scores.

For further information, see discussions on:

JonNYC's Traveing Better

The Boarding Area

Thanks to JonNYC for most of the information available to the public on this topic.

Updated 6 Oct 2016 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Some of you may recall that last year I used one of my husband's SWU and they did not deduct it from his account and he ended the year plus one and it expired. I tried once to explain and they insisted they were right. Today I get this.to my email, not his. How hard is it going to be to straighten out?

"We hope you have enjoyed the ability to upgrade using your systemwide upgrades. Isn't it great to relax in an upgraded cabin?

Sometimes systemwide upgrades can take a while to be processed and more upgrades are used than a member has available. This may have happened on a recent reservation. At this time, your systemwide upgrade account is
overdrawn. We'd like to talk to you as soon as possible so that we can resolve this for you before your next systemwide upgrades are earned and deposited. In most cases, we can exchange the overdrawn systemwide
upgrade with the applicable mileage award and copay."

Should I even try?
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I don't have any SWU's.

I flew LAX-HKG in November and used my husband's last SWU. They did not pull it from his account. It expired.

I called them after posting.

They have finally processed the upgrade 9 months later and are trying to pull a SWU from my account. I don't have any. I am platinum. They are threatening to pull the next SWU I earn unless I give them 25K miles + 350 dollars.

The next SWU I earn will be at a million miles, and I will get there at some point.

I think they now understand what happened, but I'm going to keep an eye on his SWU's, to be sure they don't pull a "fresh" one and goodness knows what they will do when I earn one.

The system is fundamentally flawed.
Yes, it seems AA will track errors forever and hit your account as soon as they can. I traveled using a gifted SWU while a Plat. Two years later when I made EXP my account showed one used. I contacted AA and the agent was not willing to research the error. I called the EXP desk and they fixed the problem only to have it reversed within a week. I called back to the EXP desk and the agent was upset her actions were negated. She ended up adding an SWU to my account and that was the end of it. Fortunately the EXP that gifted the SWU also called AA to verify he had gifted the SWU and had a balance that expired so there was no double dipping.

Line up your ducks and keep pressing until someone will actually listen to your case and understand it's AA that made a mistake (yes, tall order). Had they implemented rules that would allow a Plat, or any status for that matter, to see their SWU balance (especially if non-zero), I would have cleared up the issue much sooner.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:04 pm

Anyone else having issues getting aa.com to show SWU availability? I see it on ExpertFlyer, but dont see the section on aa.com anymore for any flights I search for.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update. The expired SWU in husband's account is now "used" and they have not messed with his fresh SWU's so it looks like they did it right. For a change :-)
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
Is it still almost impossible to use AA SWU's when you have flexibility as to when and where you fly to and from Europe? I know that when I was Chairman status at US Airways I could always use my upgrades when booking if I had some flexibility as to when and where I travelled to and from.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by pkr529
Is it still almost impossible to use AA SWU's when you have flexibility as to when and where you fly to and from Europe? I know that when I was Chairman status at US Airways I could always use my upgrades when booking if I had some flexibility as to when and where I travelled to and from.
I just confirmed two SWU's at booking for LHR flights in December last week.

C space is still out there a few months out.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:58 am

It might have been answered before, but quick search in this thread didn't fetch any results.
I have a trip in September, which I was able to upgrade using SWU, it cleared immidiately. Now, I'm thinking of crediting miles to another FFP, so need to change my FFP# in the reservation. Are there any consequences of doing so for already cleared upgrade? What about IROPs in case things go south?
Thank you in advance for response!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by maxvor
It might have been answered before, but quick search in this thread didn't fetch any results.
I have a trip in September, which I was able to upgrade using SWU, it cleared immidiately. Now, I'm thinking of crediting miles to another FFP, so need to change my FFP# in the reservation. Are there any consequences of doing so for already cleared upgrade? What about IROPs in case things go south?
Thank you in advance for response!
As you are specifically not permitted to use AA instruments whilst crediting to another program, you risk losing your upgrade. Probably more in IROPS than if you swap your FFN at the gate, but there's definitely a risk. It's documented in the AAdvantage T&C iirc; it is definitely airline policy. Added to the Wikipost FAQ, quote from the "Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)" Wikipost.

"Can I still make use if my SWU and credit the flight(s) to another airline?

No. If switching from AAdvantage to another scheme's FFN, please be aware: Benefitting from a privilege granted for your AAdvantage status and changing your FFN to earn on another airline is generally prohibited by AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade).

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 15, 2017 at 7:49 am
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
As you are specifically not permitted to use AA instruments whilst crediting to another program, you risk losing your upgrade. Probably more in IROPS than if you swap your FFN at the gate, but there's definitely a risk. It's documented in the AAdvantage T&C iirc; it is definitely airline policy. Added to the Wikipost FAQ, quote from the "Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)" Wikipost.
Thank you very much, you're, as always, very helpful. Made me go to T&C where the following is written.
You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats.
The way it is written makes me think that you can't credit the flights that you've been upgraded on to a partner FFP, but those that were not are still fine. Obviously, it's only my interpretation and AA might (and most probably will) disagree. Not going to test it anyways - I had convienced AA to follow their own rules in the past, and now it's my turn to obey; just purely theoretical exercise.

Edit: thanks for updating wiki with the answer, I wasn't the first one to ask and pretty sure there will be more people with such situation in future.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AA-EXP, National Exec. Elite, Hilton Gold, GE
Luxury tax on ex-HKG flights?

I just burned a SWU on AA192 HKG-LAX. Right after it cleared and re-ticketed, my card was charged $2.60 for "Additional Fare Collection".

When I called in to ask about this, the rep said this was a luxury tax on all upgraded ex-HKG flights that arent connections. While I dont care much about the extra $2.60, they did refund it anyway because I was never notified when I waitlisted the SWU on that segment.

Has anyone else run into this?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EP
Yea. Correct. Started a few months ago.

Originally Posted by UAL1200
I just burned a SWU on AA192 HKG-LAX. Right after it cleared and re-ticketed, my card was charged $2.60 for "Additional Fare Collection".

When I called in to ask about this, the rep said this was a luxury tax on all upgraded ex-HKG flights that arent connections. While I dont care much about the extra $2.60, they did refund it anyway because I was never notified when I waitlisted the SWU on that segment.

Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by UAL1200

SOP. And much higher if you are originating and upgrading out of the U.K. and arecrequired to pay the full Air Passenger Duty instead of the discounted APD you already paid for Economy or Premium Economy.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:34 pm

Finding SWU availability to anywhere

Trying to find out if there's a good strategy to find SWU availability from my home airport to really any international destination on specified dates (or range of dates). I'm happy to explore many places of the world, so I'm not picky. But my dates might be a bit limited. It feels like the system is set up for knowing your destination and dates of travel.

Any tips?

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by tohams
Trying to find out if there's a good strategy to find SWU availability from my home airport to really any international destination on specified dates (or range of dates). I'm happy to explore many places of the world, so I'm not picky. But my dates might be a bit limited. It feels like the system is set up for knowing your destination and dates of travel.

Any tips?

Thanks!
Are you looking to confirm SWU at booking? It does exist although elusive. I believe that currently it is available for redemption at booking for a ORD-DAY flight.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
SWU question: domestic leg clears before international

I booked an itinerary as follows:
1. ORD-DFW
2. DFW-HKG
--HKG for 22 hrs--
3. HKG-DFW
4. DFW-ORD

When I called in to apply SWUs, the first ORD-DFW had seats in C, I asked the agent to leave it as complimentary upgrade and request SWUs for the rest of the itinerary. She told me that the 4th segment will not clear until the 3rd clears, just like how SWU works. Sounds legit right?

However when I logged in earlier this week I found out that I was upgraded to C on the DFW-HKG (2nd) and DFW-ORD (4th) legs three months out but the 3rd was still in Y. I'm confused. Why would the domestic leg clear before the international one, or is it possible that the system treated it as a single SWU, due to the short "layover" in Hong Kong? Or if I fail to clear HKG-DFW, how many SWUs will be deducted?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tohams
It feels like the system is set up for knowing your destination and dates of travel.
Why in the world would the system (for selling air travel tickets) be set up in any other way?

I don't know of any systematic way to search for "any available SWU" I'd suggest focusing on where you you want to go (sounds like this is for a leisure trip) and worry about SWUs secondary to that. I mean, sure you might find a flight with upgrade space, but what's that worth if the destination on the other end is unappealing?

Originally Posted by enviroian
Are you looking to confirm SWU at booking? It does exist although elusive. I believe that currently it is available for redemption at booking for a ORD-DAY flight.

SWUs are certainly available at booking, sometimes, on the international long hauls. This year I've cleared FRA-DFW and SYD-LAX Y-->J upgrades at booking. Expectation management is the key.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.