Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

retaliation by American Airlines suing in small claims court?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

retaliation by American Airlines suing in small claims court?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Sure, but I think the standards/bar might be different for the airline industry given how concentrated it is relative to many others. I mean, if you live in Dallas and AA fires you, you're kind of screwed. So it had better be a darn good reason that they fired you, otherwise it probably won't look very good. If Bed Bath & Beyond fires you for excessive returns, you'll probably be okay.

You're thinking in terms of the impact on the customer, not the impact on the business. Any business can (and should) fire a customer who is a drag on their bottom line, so long as they are not doing so for protected reasons. (Race, national origin, religious affiliation, gender, etc.) The threshold for this determination would be a highly guarded company secret.

So... the guy living in Dallas might think twice about excessive complaints if he risks getting fired by AA.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
My post clearly refers to the guy who abused the court system by suing for $4,000 in clothing he purchased.
Obviously it wasn't clear, since I wasn't the only person that didn't interpret it this way.

The rest of my post stands, in any case. In the case of the $4000 of clothing, it seems like the lawsuit resulted in an outcome where both the passenger and AA were satisfied with the result (since they settled), so it's exactly the sort of dispute that's designed to be handled through small claims court.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
It's called "firing the customer". I've done the same thing, myself. We are in business to make money, not to pay out money again and again to a chronic complainer. Let the competition have the problem, money-draining customer.
The question then becomes what happens to the miles in the FFs account. The airline is effectively acting as a bank for those FF miles and they are not fiat currency that Delta or United would accept.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
The question then becomes what happens to the miles in the FFs account. The airline is effectively acting as a bank for those FF miles and they are not fiat currency that Delta or United would accept.
You might as well make up your own answer to that question since none of this is actually happening.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:31 pm

The airline is not a bank. Frequent Flyer Miles are not the same as a bank deposit.

An airline can zero out accounts if they so choose and terminate membership in the frequent flyer program.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You might as well make up your own answer to that question since none of this is actually happening.
Jon, there are known cases where an airline has "fired" a problem customer. Ginsberg v Northwest Airlines comes to mind. It can happen. Ginsberg is an extreme example of an extreme chronic complainer who "went public" as opposed to accepting a confidential settlement.

The question in this thread is what is the risk of getting fired as a customer (terminated FFM account) if a certain course of action is taken. Risk and risk-tolerance can be difficult to measure in this situation.

If one has a very low risk-tolerance, then one might be well advised to skip the small claims court.
If one has a moderate to high risk-tolerance, then one might be well advised to go ahead.

Personally, I would take this matter to a competent attorney and ask that person about my chances of winning the court case, then make a decision about next steps, rather than relying on an internet message board. (My own attorney offers a free-of-charge half hour consultation. He often refers people to other attorneys who might specialize in the matter of interest.)
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
The airline is not a bank. Frequent Flyer Miles are not the same as a bank deposit.

An airline can zero out accounts if they so choose and terminate membership in the frequent flyer program.
But they are a form of currency - you can use them for plane tickets, hotel stays, rental cars, magazines, gift cards, vacation stays, etc. So they have value. Parties fight over them in divorce proceedings all the time.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Jon, there are known cases where an airline has "fired" a problem customer. Ginsberg v Northwest Airlines comes to mind. It can happen. Ginsberg is an extreme example of an extreme chronic complainer who "went public" as opposed to accepting a confidential settlement.
There are cases of people climbing to the top of clock-towers and showering bullets at the people below. And yet a decided majority of people walk the streets, uninjured, every day-- weird right?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

And open themselves up to further litigation if they do so capriciously.

On the whole, this is a stupid thread. An airline is not going to retaliate against you for suing them unless the suit was completely frivolous or something much more serious was going on behind the scenes (i.e. fraud). And if you take an airline to court, small claims or otherwise, and win or receive a settlement, then that makes it pretty clear that the suit was not frivolous.

AA runs a crap operation and treats its customers with utter disdain while providing terrible service. That being said, they're not so unethical as to double down on losing a lawsuit by then turning around and retaliating against a plaintiff. Courts don't look kindly on that sort of thing.
JonNYC and enpremiere like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There are cases of people climbing to the top of clock-towers and showering bullets at the people below. And yet a decided majority of people walk the streets, uninjured, every day-- weird right?
It's all a matter of risk tolerance.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:37 am

But they are a form of currency - you can use them for plane tickets, hotel stays, rental cars, magazines, gift cards, vacation stays, etc. So they have value. Parties fight over them in divorce proceedings all the time.
True, a "form" of currency. But not real currency and the airline is not a bank. Thinking of FFMs as "money in the bank" is fallacious.

They are not regulated by banking laws. The entire program can be discontinued. They can be devalued.

My motto: Earn, church, burn. I don't think of them as money in some kind of bank. I think of them as something I should use within a year or so of earning them.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
On the whole, this is a stupid thread.
In that I think we all agree.

My advice to the OP stands. Consult an attorney to see what are the realistic chances of winning the suit. Then proceed on that advice.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If attorneys knew what suits were winning and what suits were losing, why do we even bother with judges and juries?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
If attorneys knew what suits were winning and what suits were losing, why do we even bother with judges and juries?
CHANCES of winning or losing.

"You have a very good case. You have a good chance of winning."

"You have a case with a poor chance of winning."
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by joe_miami
The replacement items aren't temporary unless they're returned when the bags are delivered. Spending $4,000 because one's bags were a day or two late is simply ludicrous in almost every conceivable situation short of one's wedding.
If you get a loaner car from the Mercedes service department, it is NOT going to be a Honda. The law limits the amount you can claim for lost or damaged bags.
If the bags were lost for 2 days, I would not expect reimbursement for 3 days worth of clothing, but I would expect full payment for 2 days worth of clothing up to the value of the clothing I would normally wear.
I don't wear expensive clothing, so I would never be claiming that much, but if I wear Levi's, I am not going to replace them with Wranglers. If I am going to the beach, I am not going to replace my Birkenstock's with 88 cent flip flops from Walmart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.