Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best J or F award travel SFO-NRT?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Sfo-nrt

Im looking to fly from sfo to nrt then to hkg. I checked cathay but sfo-hkg is hard to find award and nrt to hkg would likely cost me more miles. Whoch airline’s premium class from sfo to nrt would you recommend? Is Japan Airline’s business or first product good? Is it easy to redeem using aa pts? I also have chase ur pts and amex pts. I can transfer amex to star alliance and redeem ANA. Their premium product good? Easy to find award space?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 8, 2019 at 9:14 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hqly2001
I'm looking to fly from SFO to NRT then to HKG. I checked Cathay but SFO-HKG is hard to find award and NRT to HKG would likely cost me more miles.

Which airline’s premium class from SFO to NRT would you recommend?
Is Japan Airline’s business or first product good?
Is it easy to redeem using AA pts?
I also have Chase UR pts and Amex pts. I can transfer Amex to star alliance and redeem ANA. Their premium product good? Easy to find award space?
Find award availability before worrying about the differences between airlines
So you want a stopover NRT. That's 2 awards. And the return back to SFO?
When do you want to travel?
Route--> http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SFO-NRT...SU=kts&RS=best

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

CX---> AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX, KA availability, etc. (master thd)

JL---> AAdvantage Award using JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Edit
OP's other 2 threads on this topic
JL Sfo-nrt-hkg
SQ Sfo-nrt-hkg

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 7, 2019 at 8:42 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by hqly2001
Im looking to fly from sfo to nrt then to hkg. I checked cathay but sfo-hkg is hard to find award and nrt to hkg would likely cost me more miles. Whoch airline’s premium class from sfo to nrt would you recommend? Is Japan Airline’s business or first product good? Is it easy to redeem using aa pts? I also have chase ur pts and amex pts. I can transfer amex to star alliance and redeem ANA. Their premium product good? Easy to find award space?
JL flies SFO-HND (not NRT). So when you're searching make sure you include both Tokyo airports.

From the US to Japan, using AA miles your main options are JL or AA. JL has a great business and first product. Availability is pretty good, if you can be flexible JL is good about releasing last minute award space if space remains in the week before the flight. For an award flight, I wouldn't get caught up in which is better AA or JL (JL), just grab whatever space you can find on your desired dates.

As you mentioned, flying to Tokyo via HKG on CX will require a lot of extra flying, 2 awards and around 40k more miles. Not worth it.

For your ANA questions, might I recommend the ANA forum, or whichever *A program you're thinking of transferring points to.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Find award availability before worrying about the differences between airlines
So you want a stopover NRT. That's 2 awards. And the return back to SFO?
When do you want to travel?
Route--> Great Circle Mapper

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

CX---> AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX, KA availability, etc. (master thd)

JL---> AAdvantage Award using JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Edit
OP's other 2 threads on this topic
JL Sfo-nrt-hkg
SQ Sfo-nrt-hkg
+1 I

think you will generally find that most of the Asian carriers are good. First find what is out there based on your dates of travel and then compare in terms mileage cost, times, stops and quality of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.