Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baffling customer service experience at check-in (Fresno / FAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baffling customer service experience at check-in (Fresno / FAT)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by george 3
Which it was. It was more the inexperience of the local agents, and perhaps the failure of subordinates who knew better but didn't want to cross their supervisor in front of customers.

From original post:

When I arrived and to check-in for the early morning flight to PHX (continuing to JFK) after finding out about delays due to weather, I asked about re-routing options since there was risk I wouldn't be able to get to JFK that evening.. The agent told me I could only do that through the original connecting airport when I asked for connections through ORD, DFW or CLT. If she routed me through those airports, she would have to charge the fare difference. I then asked if she had heard of the same day change feature for EXP, and she again responded only through the original connecting city. Not wanting to wait, I checked my bags and took the original flight.
I understand what you are saying but, IME, the threshold needs to be that you will miss or, at least flight times have change so that you are below MCT, for them to allow you routing changes. The "risk" of not being able to get there isn't enough -if that were the threshold current AA should allow you to change at any time

Last edited by JMN57; Jan 11, 2019 at 5:33 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by JMN57
I understand what you are saying but, IME, the threshold needs to be that you will miss or, at least flight times have change so that you are below MCT, for them to allow you routing changes. The "risk" of not being able to get there isn't enough -if that were the threshold current AA should allow you to change at any time
Technically correct, but a more experienced agent would have "found" a workaround. ;-)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by JMN57
Originally Posted by george 3
Technically correct, but a more experienced agent would have "found" a workaround. ;-)
This jumps with the huge assumption that the departure and arrival times are accurately updated. Based on plane location on the ground having not even left for the outstation, but a departure time still showing on time on 20 minutes, agent was unable to transfer me to another flight not going through the completely backed up ORD.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by autdi
This jumps with the huge assumption that the departure and arrival times are accurately updated. Based on plane location on the ground having not even left for the outstation, but a departure time still showing on time on 20 minutes, agent was unable to transfer me to another flight not going through the completely backed up ORD.
You are absolutely correct that misinformation often stymies a more than reasonable request for accommodation. That's why going through the phones and HUACA are sometimes the best strategy for dealing with a re-route problem. Which often seems nonsensical when standing next to/near an agent. Now OP had a bag to check and, as yet, you can't do that on the phone or through the app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.