Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Separate ticket GRU misconnect - conflict w/ ticket counter supervisor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Separate ticket GRU misconnect - conflict w/ ticket counter supervisor

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Need Advice - Issue with American Airlines Employee

Hello All,

I have rarely posted on here but had an issue yesterday with a single American Airlines employee that has left me in shock.

Some background, I am a decently frequent travel; I know there are people who travel a lot more than me, but I think I should be a decent client of American's. I have been an Exec Platinum member for probably 7 of the last 8 years, last year which was a pretty average year I got 35k EQD and 135 EQM's, each year is usually a little more or a little less than that. Among other airlines I probably do do another 75k miles total, so its clear I focus my traveling with American even though from NY I have a lot of options. Almost all my traveling is international business.

My wife and I were flying home Rio De Janeiro and I had booked our round trip flights from NY to Sao Paulo and booked the internal legs separately (I know a risk, but its how I usually do it for Brazil). I booked a 4.5 hour layover in Sao Paulo last night to be safe and flew Latam from Rio to Sao Paulo. It was a disaster flight situation and we were stuck on the runway in Rio for almost 3 hours without any guidance. I was speaking to the EXP desk and at different times and everyone was extremely nice and helpful. They were tracking my Latam flight, sending notes to AA Sao Paulo, and I could not have asked for better service. We finally landed in Sao Paulo but had to wait for 20 minutes to deplane as we were waiting for a bus. I was again on the phone with EXP and the agent was assuring me that since I was checked in (my phone couldn't be done via online as she is Brazilian and would need to check in at counter) and that we were not checking in bags it would be no problem. We sprinted from T2 to T3 in GRU and got to the AA desk 38 minutes before the flight. I have done the Sao Paulo to NY flight endless times and have had 1 or 2 similar situations.

As we arrived, I quickly told the story and the lady at the counter was being helpful and took my wife's passport. Then her supervisor heard the word "New York" and came and said that boarding was closed 1 hour prior to departure and it was impossible to issue and my wife's seat was already given away. I told her I know the airport, the airline, the rules, etc and that we weren't checking in any bags, I was already checked in, but we just need my wife's ticket and we would 100% make the flight. I know how to deal with these situations and my wife and I would be able to get to the gate before closing. Even if not, I told her just give us the ticket and give us the chance.

She adamantly refused and said its impossible. I quickly called EXP desk again who was telling me we still had our seats, our tickets were in order, and there should be no reason not to issue the ticket. She even asked to talk to the supervisor for us who refused and said that this was her airport and she didn't take orders from anyone and it was her decision. At this point there were 2 girls at the desk and one even told the supervisor that she can still print it and we should be fine and the supervisor snapped at her for undermining her decision. She kept making bold claims about airport policy, ticketing policy, etc, and the kind agent on the phone could hear everything and was telling me everything was blatant lies and they would even send a message to the gate.

in the end, we weren't allowed to get my wife's ticket, and had to get rebooked on tonight's flight so we are just sitting at an airport hotel in Sao Paulo waiting. I am not an arrogant traveler, I am usually on the airlines side with issues, and am a pilot myself so know that many issues people have are out of the airlines control. In the past 10 years I have written 3 reviews to AA, and all 3 were about outstanding service received from a staff member.

I am not here to threaten I will change my loyalty or anything. I want to file an official complaint about this employee and would like to get a reply on the situation. This fully messed up our schedules and I would understand if I were in some other country with an airline I do not fly often. But this is my number 1 airline in probably my number 2 airport in the world. I understand the connection was tight, but I have dealt with much much worse and made my flight.

Sorry for the long message, but curious what you would do in my situation.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 9, 2019 at 9:17 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There are check-in deadlines, to allow for completion of U.S. CBP paperwork.

From AA's international C of C: FOR ITINERARIES THAT INCLUDE AIRPORTS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES, YOU MUST BE CHECKED IN AT YOUR
ORIGINATING AIRPORT 60 MINUTES BEFORE SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME.

Originally Posted by mango315
I had booked our round trip flights from NY to Sao Paulo and booked the internal legs separately (I know a risk, but its how I usually do it for Brazil).
You know the risk but you don't seem to accept the risk.

This isn't an employee problem. This is a 'I don't think the rules should apply to me' problem.

On a single ticket Latam would have been responsible for the delay and rebooking you onward.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are check-in deadlines, to allow for completion of U.S. CBP paperwork.

From AA's international C of C: FOR ITINERARIES THAT INCLUDE AIRPORTS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES, YOU MUST BE CHECKED IN AT YOUR
ORIGINATING AIRPORT 60 MINUTES BEFORE SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME.

You know the risk but you don't seem to accept the risk.

This isn't an employee problem. This is a 'I don't think the rules should apply to me' problem.

On a single ticket Latam would have been responsible for the delay and rebooking you onward.
I understand the risks fully. If I were even more late, I would have given up and rebooked myself. But I had 3 AA EXP agents telling me I'm fine, and 2 kind local Sao Paulo agents saying they could issue her ticket.

this is my first complaint in over 10 years of frequent traveling and 15 years flying with AA. I understand the rules, I follow them. But I have dealt with much worse issues with late connections (even in Sao Paulo) and it has never been an issue. Again, I was checked in, my wife wasn't, AA EXP had sent notes already to Sao Paulo and everyone knew the deal. they knew our arrival flight, they knew the entire situation, and we were told everything was fine by multiple people.

I am happy with the treatment from everyone, except 1 person
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have no complaint here. Particularly because you could not have done anything differently had you never contacted the EXP desk and had simply presented yourself for check-in at T-38. Indeed the EXP agent had no authority to waive AA's standard deadline of T-60 for international check-in and may not even have known why that deadline exists (to avoid DHS/CBP processing delays which may result in the aircraft being held on the ground until clearance is received).

The better advice from the EXP agent would have been to assure you that there was space and that you should simply head for your departure gate and hope for the best.

You are iucky that you were on AA as it protects on OW-AA transfers between tickets. On most carriers, not just your reservations, but your tickets would have been cancelled and would have retained whatever value they retain under their fare rules. Here, you were apparently rebooked as you should have been,
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I understand the risks fully. If I were even more late, I would have given up and rebooked myself. But I had 3 AA EXP agents telling me I'm fine, and 2 kind local Sao Paulo agents saying they could issue her ticket.

this is my first complaint in over 10 years of frequent traveling and 15 years flying with AA. I understand the rules, I follow them. But I have dealt with much worse issues with late connections (even in Sao Paulo) and it has never been an issue. Again, I was checked in, my wife wasn't, AA EXP had sent notes already to Sao Paulo and everyone knew the deal. they knew our arrival flight, they knew the entire situation, and we were told everything was fine by multiple people.

I am happy with the treatment from everyone, except 1 person
It seems you would be happy if that one person had chosen to break a published rule. I do not think that is something that warrants a complaint as I doubt AA is going to get rid of that rule, and that employee did nothing wrong.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
You have no complaint here. Particularly because you could not have done anything differently had you never contacted the EXP desk and had simply presented yourself for check-in at T-38. Indeed the EXP agent had no authority to waive AA's standard deadline of T-60 for international check-in and may not even have known why that deadline exists (to avoid DHS/CBP processing delays which may result in the aircraft being held on the ground until clearance is received).

The better advice from the EXP agent would have been to assure you that there was space and that you should simply head for your departure gate and hope for the best.

You are iucky that you were on AA as it protects on OW-AA transfers between tickets. On most carriers, not just your reservations, but your tickets would have been cancelled and would have retained whatever value they retain under their fare rules. Here, you were apparently rebooked as you should have been,
I rebooked myself on the phone with the agent 15 minutes before departure when it was clear we would not be let on, she just put us on same flight tonight. I was checked in already, so I could have technically just left my wife and gone straight to the gate (the AA supervisor even suggested this). the seats were still saved for us, they weren't not given away, the EXP agent reconfirmed this to me
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I understand the risks fully.
Apparently not, after 3C's perfect quote above. If you understood them, you would not still be complaining.
POAflyer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sorry for your trouble. Sometimes we take calculated risks that fall outside the calculus because, in this case, of unpredictable OSO.

AA’s obligation was to get the passenger on the next available flight (in accord with AA policies), they did that. They could have granted you and your wife exceptions, as the EXP agents and ticket agent wanted to, but were under no obligation to do so.

The likelihood of AA penalizing a local station manager for enforcing AA policy is close to zero, IMO. The good intentions of the EXP agents and the ticket agent notwithstanding, she (apparently a stickler, possibly wanting to set an example before her employees) holds the high ground.
enpremiere, wrp96, bosman and 1 others like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 9, 2019 at 9:20 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:37 am

You took a known risk and it did not work out for you. You should be apologizing to them not the reverse.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:56 am

You were unlucky in the delay but lucky AA allows rebooking. GRU-JFK flights are heavily booked the week/s after New Year's and with most other carriers you would have had to buy an extremely expensive ticket. I would just leave it.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Sorry for your trouble. Sometimes we take calculated risks that fall outside the calculus because, in this case, of unpredictable OSO.

AA’s obligation was to get the passenger on the next available flight (in accord with AA policies), they did that. They could have granted you and your wife exceptions, as the EXP agents and ticket agent wanted to, but were under no obligation to do so.

The likelihood of AA penalizing a local station manager for enforcing AA policy is close to zero, IMO. The good intentions of the EXP agents and the ticket agent notwithstanding, she (apparently a stickler, possibly wanting to set an example before her employees) holds the high ground.
JDiver, thank you for your message. To be honest, I do not agree with most of the other posts, but I do agree with yours. I do think my wife's ticket should have been issued as mine had already been.

I guess when it comes down to it, I would have gone through 19/20 times with other people, but I got the person who wanted to prove her team a point. I still disagree with it and think this is the situation to let someone through. She did make a lot of blatant lies to me about the process and I did not appreciate it.

Anyway, sitting still in Sao Paulo, will get to the airport early tonight.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
I'm sure something got lost in translation, but your boarding pass got issued because you checked in on time (through the mobile application). Your wife's boarding pass was not issued because she did not check in before the published deadline.

I sympathize with you because something similar happened to me a few years ago in LGA. My wife couldn't do online check in and missed the deadline by 1 minute. Ticket counter agent wouldn't budge, so I went to the AC and got her a boarding pass. I won't get into details, but the ticket counter agent found out about this somehow and proactively canceled her ticket just before boarding. In the end, she made sure that the rules were followed, but obviously I was furious she went the extra mile to prevent my wife from flying.

I recommend you focus on the fact that so many agents were willing to bend the rules on your behalf, and that most of the time you'll probably get someone who will. Maybe you'll also appreciate someone doing you a favor next time even more instead of feeling entitled to it.
bambinomartino likes this.

Last edited by emcat; Jan 9, 2019 at 2:40 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I don't think you can complain because an employee declined to ignore the rules for you. I think you can be quietly grateful when they do.

People love ironclad regulations until the day they need them relaxed... then they're an outrage.
Often1 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BearX220
I don't think you can complain because an employee declined to ignore the rules for you. I think you can be quietly grateful when they do.

People love ironclad regulations until the day they need them relaxed... then they're an outrage.
But, I carry this bag on 19 times a week and nobody else has ever asked me to check it. Bad customer service, DOT complaint, compensation due.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcat
I recommend you focus on the fact that so many agents were willing to bend the rules on your behalf, and that most of the time you'll probably get someone who will. Maybe you'll also appreciate someone doing you a favor next time even more instead of feeling entitled to it.
yeah, I know...I agree with you and your situation sounds more miserable and frustrating than mine

maybe I've been lucky in the past, maybe I have taken it for granted...but I would not say feeling some entitlement in this situation is incorrect on my part. I have dedicated myself to the airline and I do expect for them to return the favor in a fixable situation. what I wanted was not something impossible, I would have made my flight, and all would have been ok...

but the overall feedback here has showed me I cannot be upset at AA, I can just expect things not to be so smooth each time regardless of my status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.