Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Compensation for spilt coffee (burn and shirt)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for spilt coffee (burn and shirt)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by joe_miami

On top of being silly, you're now misrepresenting what I said.
Im sorry if you feel I am mis-interpreting what you said- May I request you explain and justify+ without resorting to personal insult as you appear to now be doing, your statement “Now you're being silly. U.S. airlines have the best pilots and among the best safety records on the planet. There's no way a passenger increases his safety by actively avoiding U.S. airlines”

I”m clearly failing to grasp the point that you are trying to make+ you feel I should stay flying with an airline that I feel has acted poorly, to whom I have no allegiance or need to fly with? And you call me silly to boot. Seriously? I really am am struggling with your logic here.

Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by navylad

Im sorry if you feel I am mis-interpreting what you said- May I request you explain and justify+ without resorting to personal insult as you appear to now be doing, your statement “Now you're being silly. U.S. airlines have the best pilots and among the best safety records on the planet. There's no way a passenger increases his safety by actively avoiding U.S. airlines”

I”m clearly failing to grasp the point that you are trying to make+ you feel I should stay flying with an airline that I feel has acted poorly, to whom I have no allegiance or need to fly with? And you call me silly to boot. Seriously? I really am am struggling with your logic here.

I don't "feel" that you're misinterpreting what I said; you're indisputably misrepresenting what I said. (I never said "American Airlines are safer than all other airlines," or, for that matter, "American airlines.")

It's certainly possible there's a lower chance of having coffee spilled on a non-U.S. carrier, but U.S. carriers certainly aren't cavalier about passenger safety as a general matter. The idea that anyone would or should avoid U.S. carriers, including American, over this is an extreme overreaction.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by jordyn
Even if you change the scenario to "an FA spilled wine on me and no one even apologized", both the initial and follow-up customer service gestures are pretty pathetic, so any speculation about how injured OP was or whether an incident report needed to be filed seems besides the point.

Having said that, what's there to do other than better manage your expectations about AA's commitment to customer service going forward? I agree with the suggestion to considering the Tweet approach. AA seems a bit susceptible to public shaming there, if not in a forum like this where some of their most frequent and profitable passengers converge.
And pray-tell, where did I say that did have ‘a cavaleigh attitude’ for you to start calling me silly exactly? And did you not say that they have the best pilots...on the planet, and I simply ask what evidence you have to back up the comment you make.

AA doesn’t have a terrible safety record for sure, but it certainly isn’t the best; the Wikipedia page of incidents is testament to that.

As a pax, I have every right to choose whom I fly with. I will not be flying with AA in future. The decision isn’t silly as you claim.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Now you're being silly. U.S. airlines have the best pilots and among the best safety records on the planet. There's no way a passenger increases his safety by actively avoiding U.S. airlines.
I disagree with just about every single thing you have said here.

The only one I won't categorically challenge is your contention that US airlines have "the best pilots". I don't agree with this, nor do I specifically assert that it is untrue, but since there is no data on this that I can find that proves the issue one way or the other, I will simply point out that your assertion is unsubstantiated. You may be right. Having said that, as a Hongkonger, I would add that given the reputation of Cathay's pilots, we might be able to give the US a run for its money!

While some US airlines have "among the best safety records on the planet", that doesn't apply across the board. Delta, for instance, don't make it into the top 20 of this year's safest airlines according to AirlineRatings.com (the world’s only dedicated safety website for airlines). The Top 20 features 4 US airlines, 3 Australasian airlines, 4 Asian airlines, 8 European airlines and 2 Middle Eastern airlines (yes, I know this adds up to 21 - that appears to be because Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia were lumped together in the top 20 but I have separated them for these purposes). Looking at that, given that the US has a population of some 325 million and has 4 airlines in the top bracket (1 per 81.25 million), while Europe has a population of 512 million with 8 in the top bracket (1 per 64 million), but Australasia has a population of something like 88 million with three in the top ten (1 per 29 million)... Well, I know it is pretty unscientific stuff, but I would have to say that at the continental level Australasia is looking well ahead. But of course, to be fair, you only specified a country (the US). So let's take it down to country level. Qatar, 1 per 2.6 million people. New Zealand, 1 per 4.8 million people. And so on... Again, unscientific, but still one helluva a lot more scientific than your bold, unsupported assertions.

Provided a passenger targeted his or her custom appropriately, it would be entirely possible (statistically) to increase his or her safety by actively avoiding US airlines and opting instead for others. Whether that statistical improvement would be meaningful is another question. But then that's not what you said. You said there is "no way a passenger increases his safety by actively avoiding U.S. airlines". And that is, demonstrably, bollocks.

I applaud patriotism. I am a patriot myself - a double-patriot, in fact, since I have allegiance both to my original home country (the UK) and my adoptive home (Hong Kong). However, the point at which patriotism bleeds over into delusion, hypocrisy, bigotry or blind refusal to accept reality is the point at which patriotism should stop.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
Delta, for instance, don't make it into the top 20 of this year's safest airlines according to AirlineRatings.com (the world’s only dedicated safety website for airlines).
I was kind of shocked by this. I don't fly Delta so I don't have a horse in this race, but they haven't had an incident since 2015, and haven't had an incident that didn't involve extreme weather conditions since 1996. Given their sheer volume of flights, I don't see how they don't make the top 20.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I was kind of shocked by this. I don't fly Delta so I don't have a horse in this race, but they haven't had an incident since 2015, and haven't had an incident that didn't involve extreme weather conditions since 1996. Given their sheer volume of flights, I don't see how they don't make the top 20.
I don't pretend to have insight into their methodology, but the criteria you specify above are by no means unique. There may be (and in fact there apparently are) plenty of other airlines with better safety records. From airlineratings.com's website:

THE TOP 20 SAFEST AIRLINES FOR 2019
Air New Zealand, Alaska Airlines, All Nippon Airways, American Airlines, Austrian Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Emirates, EVA Air, Finnair, Hawaiian Airlines, KLM, Lufthansa, Qantas, Qatar, Scandinavian Airline System, Singapore Airlines, Swiss, and United Airlines, and the Virgin group of airlines (Atlantic and Australia)
UNQUOTE

I would like to add that I have no affiliation whatsoever with airlineratings.com, I am using them merely as an information source
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
I don't pretend to have insight into their methodology, but the criteria you specify above are by no means unique. There may be (and in fact there apparently are) plenty of other airlines with better safety records. From airlineratings.com's website:

I would like to add that I have no affiliation whatsoever with airlineratings.com, I am using them merely as an information source
The fact that a single website leaves some airline on or off a list does not in any way mean that one airline's record is better than another.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:09 am
Original Poster

The fact that a single website leaves some airline on or off a list does not in any way mean that one airline's record is better than another.
Indeed, nor does it mean that someone is silly if they chooses not to fly with an airline to which they have had a bad experience with, appears to suffer from being concerned for litigation rather than what is doing right (whether that is AA’s fault or not is a mute point, I’m a pax not a governing body), whose hard and soft product are inconsistent and doesn’t enjoy a product for which he pays a substantial amount of money.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navylad

Indeed, nor does it mean that someone is silly if they chooses not to fly with an airline to which they have had a bad experience with, appears to suffer from being concerned for litigation rather than what is doing right (whether that is AA’s fault or not is a mute point, I’m a pax not a governing body), whose hard and soft product are inconsistent and doesn’t enjoy a product for which he pays a substantial amount of money.
Ok look. AA is a safe airline. If you are choosing not to fly with AA due to safety, that does seem a bit silly to me.

If you are choosing not to fly with AA because they spilled hot coffee on you and gave you horrible customer service after that, that seems reasonable. I actually don't know how this became a discussion about safety.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:32 am

It does seem evidential, though. JD Power, for example, rank vehicles for reliability and dependability - would it not be reasonable to infer that a vehicle in their top 20 is likely to be better in these regards than one that isn't?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Folks, this thread has devolved from the original intent, how to work with AA on compensation for a coffee spil/burn.

If you'd like to discuss safety records, please open a new thread.

Otherwise, please contact the moderators if you have further information to supply to the
orginial intent of this thread.

aztimm
navylad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.