Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:36 am

I am trying to use miles for an upgrade on 6/14, 25 CDG-DFW and it look like Business has 0 inventory and it appeared like this a couple of days before and after 6/14. Could AA be blocking those seats?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ilkhats44
I am trying to use miles for an upgrade on 6/14, 25 CDG-DFW and it look like Business has 0 inventory and it appeared like this a couple of days before and after 6/14. Could AA be blocking those seats?
No, AA isn't blocking any seats, business is just sold out on those flights. June is peak season, not surprising that late week and weekend flights are very busy.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP
My upgrade did clear but only about 15 mins before boarding. 6 people were on the upgrade list and 4 of us were cleared.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP
Originally Posted by econometrics
^ Write back and let us know if you clear the upgrade. I'm interested to see, as a sudden J0 with 9-10 open seats is sorta strange.
My upgrade did clear but only about 15 mins before boarding. 6 people were on the upgrade list and 4 of us were cleared.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Presidential Circle
Late data point. My flight from DFW to ICN on 5/29 didn't clear. It was J1 at the gate and I was 3rd on the waiting list. Two people above me cleared :/
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA (Plt)
In a typical year I fly AA in paid F 2-3 times, so usually just miss status. This week I was offered status challenge to Platinum, so that's nice. I took it, because I had nothing to lose and I've dumped all of my UA miles anyways.
Here's what I need to book...
either LAX-ORD or BFL-PHX-ORD, mid September. Overnight mid-week on outbound, return is on a Friday afternoon.
The reason I normally fly paid F is because of size...one F seat is comfortable. One Y seat is not. One F is almost always cheaper than 2 Y, but not on this route, this time.
Question 1 - with 500 mile upgrades, do I even stand a chance at clearing?
Question 2 - how does the extra seat work with that? If I clear the upgrade, I don't need the extra seat. Laying out for two refundable fares gets too pricey...this is for a work thing but it's on my own dime. Do I have to use 500 mile upgrades on both seats? If one seat clears, do I just eat the cost of the second one? I'm fine with that, but not if having two seats actually ends up hurting my chance of clearing.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
I'm new to the upgrade with miles option. Do I need to be looking out for availability so I can let AA know? They told me I was on a waitlist so I figured I just needed to wait. This is for a Saturday night flight DFW-LHR btw, not sure if that makes a difference.

Last edited by living near shamu; Jun 6, 2019 at 12:12 pm Reason: Adding text
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I purchased a business seat for HKG-DFW for 7/1 a few weeks ago. ExpertFlyer showed 3 F upgrades. The first time I called AA, I was told there was no space. A few days later I called again and space was available. I was able to do miles plus copay to F with no AA status currently.
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Recent domestic flights as PP with about 10k.

5/20: DCA-CLT-GNV: #6 on first leg and cleared second at 72.

5/22: GNV-CLT-DCA: changed to this flight on 5/21, cleared first leg immediately and second at 4 hours.

5/29 DCA-PHL-LAS: cleared both at check in. I’d been waiting on the second leg since it was the 767 departure.

6/4: LAS-PHL: cleared at about 28 hours, again on 767.

6/5: PHL-DCA: cleared at check in.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: Exec Plat; 2.7 m miles
My wife and I were both upgraded at T+100 for AA #32 from LAX to JFK on June 11.
We are both low $ EXP.
So far this year on transcons we are 11 out of 20, slightly worse than previous years.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Mid-$ EXP using SWUs.
June 2 CLT-FRA: it appeared that 2 people cleared upgrades to business at the gate.
June 13 FRA-CLT: cleared 1 week out (expert flyer was and is showing J7 - and C0, of course)
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Cleared a SWU (Y--->J) on tomorrow's (Wednesday) AA 81 LHR-DFW at about 24 hours.

Noticed availability on AA.com and called in to apply the SWU.

Last edited by bse118; Jun 11, 2019 at 10:47 am Reason: Clarity
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:23 am

Upgrade confusion

On Monday, June 10th, I was scheduled to fly LAX-LHR (Flight 108, departure time 5:20PM). I had requested a SWU at time of booking (approximately early May). I do not have Expert Flyer, but was monitoring award availability using miles and seat availability in the days leading up to the flight (and fully aware this is an inexact science). On the day of travel, when the upgrade list appeared on the app at T-4 hours, I was initially #3. However, as time passed, I was continually moved down the list. I ultimately ended at #9, while the 8 passengers ahead of me were upgraded.

Also, 2 people below me were upgraded, #14 and #29. The flight was delayed, and I was able to go to the Flagship lounge counter to ask for more information. I was told that #14 was J => F. Meanwhile, #29 was Y => PE.

Also, to be clear, I am not bemoaning the lack of an upgrade. In today’s climate, nothing is guaranteed, and I do not “deserve” an upgrade. If it happens, great. If not, I’m still flying to my preferred destination.

My questions are to get more clarity in the international upgrade process.

1. What unusual circumstances could have occurred for five people to be added to the upgrade list less than 4 hours before the flight? I do know that passengers on missed connections would receive priority, but there are not many LAX-LHR flights on AA metal as is.

2. Why was passenger #29 upgraded from Y to PE before me?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tbone14
My questions are to get more clarity in the international upgrade process.

1. What unusual circumstances could have occurred for five people to be added to the upgrade list less than 4 hours before the flight? I do know that passengers on missed connections would receive priority, but there are not many LAX-LHR flights on AA metal as is.

2. Why was passenger #29 upgraded from Y to PE before me?
1) nothing unusual. People are only visible on the in-app list after they have checked in. So most likely that was just people with higher priority checking in. You were always behind them.

2) AFAIK the current complimentary Y to PE upgrade benefit does not really have a priority system or process. #29 likely just asked at the gate and was cleared. Other than offers from the kiosk or online check in, there is no automatic processing of Y to PE upgrades.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Just a Plat but got a confirmed upgrade on dfw-lax for a Friday afternoon departure at T-27ish hours. I was not expecting that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.