Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Originally Posted by econometrics

Currently showing no biz seats for sale, but 8 unassigned (open) seats. Sometimes AA seems to block out J seats for sale on this flight, then release a dump of them 24 hours or so before departure.

So, not looking good right now. But that couple possibly change. Keep an eye on it.
Originally Posted by saleen22
Let us know if your upgrade clears. I'm on the same route on 5/29 and there are 5 unassigned seats but J3 as of now. Haven't seen any C inventory open up in weeks. Talked to a friend of mine who said this is a pretty tough one to upgrade on.
Yesterday I called the EXP line for something else and asked about my chances for this flight- was told the plane showed full in all classes.

I just now checked into the Flagship Lounge and was told there’s 4 open seats in J currently, so I’m thinking @econometrics was on target with inventory being held back. Possible that there were 4 cancellations I guess- but either way I’m feeling good about my chances (currently number 2).
Old May 24, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by T. Sanderson

Yesterday I called the EXP line for something else and asked about my chances for this flight- was told the plane showed full in all classes.

I just now checked into the Flagship Lounge and was told there’s 4 open seats in J currently, so I’m thinking @econometrics was on target with inventory being held back. Possible that there were 4 cancellations I guess- but either way I’m feeling good about my chances (currently number 2).
Great news for you! ^

Yeah, I'm not surprised. This really has been happening a lot lately. Either AA is doing some odd rev mgmt with these flights, or there are a lot of full fare pax that cancel day of.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by saleen22
Let us know if your upgrade clears. I'm on the same route on 5/29 and there are 5 unassigned seats but J3 as of now. Haven't seen any C inventory open up in weeks. Talked to a friend of mine who said this is a pretty tough one to upgrade on.
Just came through! List shows that 2 cleared, although there’s about another hour before boarding so more people might get lucky. I’m low EQD for EXP. I don’t know my exact rolling total, but I qualified last year with a little over $13k; probably a decent estimate given my travel patterns.
econometrics likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:14 am

Number 9 cleared too. Maybe Premium Economy UG?
Old May 24, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I am on 195 tomorrow (LHR-PHX). It is I7 and J7 and only 8 seats are assigned (it was 10 a week ago) and yet it is till C0. Today's flight was similarly empty and became C7 at about T-36 hours. Its strange how they decide about C inventory ... I really can find no rhyme or reason behind it, but I'm sure there is some.

Fortunately for me I was able to upfare to I for $250 and so I am one of those 8 assigned seats
econometrics likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I am on 195 tomorrow (LHR-PHX). It is I7 and J7 and only 8 seats are assigned (it was 10 a week ago) and yet it is till C0. Today's flight was similarly empty and became C7 at about T-36 hours. Its strange how they decide about C inventory ... I really can find no rhyme or reason behind it, but I'm sure there is some.

Fortunately for me I was able to upfare to I for $250 and so I am one of those 8 assigned seats
american was just messing with you... it's C7 now
Old May 24, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by golfer20
american was just messing with you... it's C7 now
actually, I didn't mean tomorrow, I meant the day after! (not sure why I'm eager to go back a day early). Sunday is still C0 and only 8 seats assigned.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Gabrca
Hi all, flying LAX-NRT this Thursday with a companion. 5 seats currently for sale in J. EXP with $35k rolling spend. What do you think the odds of clearing are?

Thanks!
Just as an update, the flight was zeroed out in all classes about 3 days before departure. At check in they said economy was oversold, but 5 seats remained free in J. Ended up being number 1 on the list out of 8. As predicted, 5 upgrades cleared but only exactly 60 minutes before departure.
econometrics likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
actually, I didn't mean tomorrow, I meant the day after! (not sure why I'm eager to go back a day early). Sunday is still C0 and only 8 seats assigned.
Yeah, I'm looking at the Sunday / Monday LAX-LHR AA136 flights myself, and same issue with C inventory remaining at 0 even with J7. Both flights also have over 20 seats unassigned. I think T-36 is the default setting AA uses for most international flights
Old May 25, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Presidential Circle
Originally Posted by T. Sanderson

Just came through! List shows that 2 cleared, although there’s about another hour before boarding so more people might get lucky. I’m low EQD for EXP. I don’t know my exact rolling total, but I qualified last year with a little over $13k; probably a decent estimate given my travel patterns.

Awesome! Glad you cleared. I just lost my status so I'm thinking my chances are grim but I'm really glad you cleared. Hope you enjoyed the flight.

Last edited by saleen22; May 25, 2019 at 1:16 am Reason: Replied to wrong post
Old May 25, 2019, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by golfer20
Yeah, I'm looking at the Sunday / Monday LAX-LHR AA136 flights myself, and same issue with C inventory remaining at 0 even with J7. Both flights also have over 20 seats unassigned. I think T-36 is the default setting AA uses for most international flights
For LHR-PHX AA195 tomorrow (Sunday) it went C7 at about T-26. At T-25 there were still only 8 assigned seats in J, but by 9 minutes after check-in opened that had jumped to 19 seats assigned and still C7. The Premium Economy cabin has gone from 21 seats assigned to 10.
golfer20 likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Adding to the data point.

PP 9+ rolling.

LAX-JFK cleared at T-72 on memorial day weekend, sat red-eye. Kind of expected given that only 8 seats were assigned and it's sat night on a long weekend. Finally a chance to burn the stack of my 500miles upgrades on a companion.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Hi all, I'm booked on AA38 on 8/2/19, MIA-LHR on AA 77W metal booked through BA. Currently seated in 32J on an N fare. I've been reading this thread quite a bit and seem to have gotten a decent idea of my chances of an upgrade with miles + copay given my current status (somewhere in the range of 25%?), but would like to hear some expert opinions since I rarely fly this route.

Platinum w/ $8k+ rolling EQDs, here's what EF shows:
F7 A7 J7 R7 D7 I7 W4 P0 Y7 H7 K7 M6
L4 G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
Old May 28, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bscooter26
Hi all, I'm booked on AA38 on 8/2/19, MIA-LHR on AA 77W metal booked through BA. Currently seated in 32J on an N fare. I've been reading this thread quite a bit and seem to have gotten a decent idea of my chances of an upgrade with miles + copay given my current status (somewhere in the range of 25%?), but would like to hear some expert opinions since I rarely fly this route.

Platinum w/ $8k+ rolling EQDs, here's what EF shows:
F7 A7 J7 R7 D7 I7 W4 P0 Y7 H7 K7 M6
L4 G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
It's too early to tell. AA dropped down to once-daily MIA-LHR now that BA is up to 3 daily flights. Friday night in the summer to Europe tends to be a tough upgrade from any US city but again, won't have a better sense of upgrade chances until T-48 really.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by Finsup72
It's too early to tell. AA dropped down to once-daily MIA-LHR now that BA is up to 3 daily flights. Friday night in the summer to Europe tends to be a tough upgrade from any US city but again, won't have a better sense of upgrade chances until T-48 really.
Thanks, I suppose I figured as much. Anything to look out for regarding inventory as I get closer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.