Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by econometrics
The odds of you getting op-up'd to biz from economy are almost non-existent. It happens from time to time, sure, but very, very rarely.

I would keep your Miles+Copay request to upgrade.
Also, Expert Flyer just refreshed and shows an additional 2 biz seats opened up, so that's 4 open and the 1 block with roughly 43 hours before take off.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by acoburn73
Just curious if I should have just seen if AA upgraded me for "free" either before or at desk due to status and open seats, or is using miles and cash the best option for getting bumped. I've heard that sometimes they'll just give the last couple of business class seats to CK or EXP during pre-boarding, but then again sometimes they'll opt to give those to miles/copay because at least they're getting something $$ for that vs. just handing them to EXPs/CKs for nothing.
LOL, where have you heard this, because it is most assuredly not true at all. On long-haul flights AA does not just upgrade EXP or CK's into empty business seats or anything like that. If there happen to be empty seats up front, and no one on the upgrade list, then those seats will go out empty (or be given to non-rev AA employees).

As mentioned above, if you want the upgrade, then you definitely need to waitlist a miles/co-pay or SWU as you've done.

What I figured, thanks. I have also seen at mobile check in offers from AA to upgrade for $550 straight up, which took advantage of a couple of times last year.

When do the mileage/copay requests usually get processed? Within a certain time prior to the flight, at or after check-in (T-24 hours), or at the gate? Can't recall a time I've used miles to upgrade for overseas flights via a wait list as I've always had 500-mile tickets for domestic (or complimentary domestic), or done the $550 cash offer at check in.
Miles/Co-pay upgrades are no different than SWU's, they come from the same inventory, and space can open up at any point between now and the time of the flight. For a TATL flight 2 days from now with only 3-4 open seats in business, they might release 1-2 seats for upgrades around 24 hrs. before with the remaining 1-2 seats released the afternoon of the flight (right up to the gate).

Also, forget about what the seatmap shows, PHL-MUC is J2 on 3/7, meaning there are only 2 business seats left for sale.
chitink likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Just curious if I should have just seen if AA upgraded me for "free" either before or at desk due to status and open seats, or is using miles and cash the best option for getting bumped. I've heard that sometimes they'll just give the last couple of business class seats to CK or EXP during pre-boarding, but then again sometimes they'll opt to give those to miles/copay because at least they're getting something $$ for that vs. just handing them to EXPs/CKs for nothing.
What you may have heard / been thinking of is AA’s recent temporary practice of giving away last-minute “upgrades” to Premium Economy to CKs/EXPs sitting in Y. I put the quotes because there is still no systematic way to upgrade into PE on AA.

The reason AA and its competitors don’t hand out empty J/F seats for free on long-haul international flights has more to do with behavioral economics: if customers get the idea that the premium product could possibly be accessed for free, then it becomes less scarce and the airline will likely sell marginally fewer premium seats as a result.
acoburn73 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Love it when a domestic trip has 9 open in F (based on seat map) but no upgrading going in 25 hours prior to departure. You can book this flight in F class - no problem (they don't even have a flag saying "# seats left").
I had the same experience last week. PP on a very elite-light flight (Friday night redeye out of Vegas). Wasn't upgraded until T-27. At the airport there was even one person on the upgrade list showing as "cleared" - meaning they still hadn't filled all the F seats by the time they opened at the gate.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
EXP w/ ~$24k rolling EQD, 2 pax

Booked DCA-JFK-EZE (March 6) and EZE-MIA-DCA (March 12). At booking on January 26, only EZE-MIA had C availability, so confirmed that w/ 2 SWUs. DCA-JFK cleared (e500) at the 100-hour window. JFK-EZE has consistently been half-empty in both J and W, we have had 2 SWUs waitlisted since booking and EF alerts set but no C availability has popped up until today. I think Y sold out a couple days ago. Earlier today (34 hours pre-departure), we cleared into J and now the flight is showing completely sold out. I had an EF alert set for if our original Y seats became open (which went off around 11 a.m.) and another alert set for C (which didn't go off until nearly 8 p.m.). Setting the alert for my original seats was key to being able to choose seats together (we got row 4 center seats) in J.

MIA-DCA still hasn't cleared (8/16 occupied) but not worried about that. Mainly glad that we got use out of the SWUs, and that we'll have a 772 with B/E Super Diamond on the way down and 77W on the way back! (and that the upgrades cleared enough in advance to allow us to request special meals!)
Uzzar likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
LOL, where have you heard this, because it is most assuredly not true at all. On long-haul flights AA does not just upgrade EXP or CK's into empty business seats or anything like that. If there happen to be empty seats up front, and no one on the upgrade list, then those seats will go out empty (or be given to non-rev AA employees).

As mentioned above, if you want the upgrade, then you definitely need to waitlist a miles/co-pay or SWU as you've done.

Miles/Co-pay upgrades are no different than SWU's, they come from the same inventory, and space can open up at any point between now and the time of the flight. For a TATL flight 2 days from now with only 3-4 open seats in business, they might release 1-2 seats for upgrades around 24 hrs. before with the remaining 1-2 seats released the afternoon of the flight (right up to the gate).

Also, forget about what the seatmap shows, PHL-MUC is J2 on 3/7, meaning there are only 2 business seats left for sale.
So you mean American wont just find me in the boarding area.... thank me for flying with them.... and offer me a first class seat? ...... total BS !! Im going to Delta..
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Are CKs listed on the same upgrade list as the rest of us?

had a club agent tell me there was 3 "priority" that wouldn't be on the list but processed first. Just curious besides displaced passengers who would end up on that list.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nismo240ssx
Are CKs listed on the same upgrade list as the rest of us?

had a club agent tell me there was 3 "priority" that wouldn't be on the list but processed first. Just curious besides displaced passengers who would end up on that list.
Yes, they are listed as UPG1 or VIP1 whereas EXP is UPG2 or VIP2.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Originally Posted by chitink
Yes, they are listed as UPG1 or VIP1 whereas EXP is UPG2 or VIP2.
thanks. Not sure what she meant. Usually the YYZ club is spot on. FWIW myself, #2 & #3 cleared into the J0/Y4 cabin which showed 3 unassigned seats.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:42 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Struck by lightning. Upgraded at exactly t-24 on MSY-ORD-DAY as a Gold. Early Saturday in a leisure market,
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Struck by lightning. Upgraded at exactly t-24 on MSY-ORD-DAY as a Gold. Early Saturday in a leisure market,
Wanna buy some lottery tickets with me?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:35 pm

Does anyone have any experience with upgrades on PHL > SFO on friday night?

I usually fly PHL > PHX and never get close to upgrading as a platinum. Should i assume the same for this leg?

Might book a 1st class ticket if chances are low?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
Newbie to SWU

For 2019, I achieved ExPlat for the first time (woo!...woo?). I want to use my four SWU's, and am interested in booking two longhaul Main Cabin seats on LAX-HND for my husband and I. However, I noticed that at the time of booking, it says that upgrades using SWU's are not available. I apologize in advance for the newbie questions, but I can't find definitive answers anywhere on a FlyerTalk wiki (or I skimmed too quickly and didn't notice if they are truly available). My questions are as follows:

1) If I book Main Cabin seats from SEA-LAX-HND, and only want to use SWU on the long haul leg, can I specificy so as not to waste two of them on the domestic segment?
2) At the time of booking, although it says upgrades using SWU's are not available, am I to understand that they MAY become available, and I am then added to the waitlist until they do, and then depending on where we are on the waitlist they will then clear?
3) On the LAX-HND flights If I book MC, on a flight where PE and Business are available, do we upgrade to the next class of service (meaning PE) or business class?

Again, apologies for my (probably) simple questions. Just want to make sure I understand completely.

Really appreciate any guidance.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007
For 2019, I achieved ExPlat for the first time (woo!...woo?). I want to use my four SWU's, and am interested in booking two longhaul Main Cabin seats on LAX-HND for my husband and I. However, I noticed that at the time of booking, it says that upgrades using SWU's are not available. I apologize in advance for the newbie questions, but I can't find definitive answers anywhere on a FlyerTalk wiki (or I skimmed too quickly and didn't notice if they are truly available). My questions are as follows:

1) If I book Main Cabin seats from SEA-LAX-HND, and only want to use SWU on the long haul leg, can I specificy so as not to waste two of them on the domestic segment?
2) At the time of booking, although it says upgrades using SWU's are not available, am I to understand that they MAY become available, and I am then added to the waitlist until they do, and then depending on where we are on the waitlist they will then clear?
3) On the LAX-HND flights If I book MC, on a flight where PE and Business are available, do we upgrade to the next class of service (meaning PE) or business class?

Again, apologies for my (probably) simple questions. Just want to make sure I understand completely.

Really appreciate any guidance.
Congrats on ExPlat!

This should probably be moved to the SWU thread, but I will answer here.

1) Yes. The better agents will assume this and clarify it with you proactively, but you’ll want to make extra sure on the phone that only the long segment is waitlisted initially. Once that clears, you’ll need to call back to have the SWU extended to the shorter segments (either confirming those or waitlisting them depending on availability).

2) Yes. On the AA website, “available” means you can confirm an SWU at that moment, “not available” means you can waitlist, and “not offered” means you cannot use an SWU at all (e.g. basic economy or codeshares). If you put yourself on the waitlist for a segment it can clear any time between now and departure, and the SWU will only be pulled if/when it clears.

3) You upgrade to business for now. However, the terms of the upgrades say “next class of service,” and PE has been largely positioned as a separate class of service over the last two years, so there is much speculation that at some point in the future a SWU will no longer get you from Main Cabin to Business internationally. That remains speculation, though.
FSUSeminole007 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
Perfect, and great feedback, really appreciate it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.