Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:50 pm
amm

Flying LAX-AKL tomorrow night and my SWU just cleared (about 26 hrs before departure). It cleared in between me checking the app and then checking EF to see how many seats were open which was terrifying when I saw my MCE seat gone.

I was able to pick a seat/meal, but as I haven’t gotten an email notification and the app still says my SWU is requested, should I give AA a call to confirm?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Are you referring to DFW-HKG AA125? Wish I could join you! Have you got UG'd already?
PE is 100% packed, but Y still has many empty seats. J has 17 empty seats per EF.

I have EF for years, still not knowing how to read what you read.
Hi.. Sorry... I thought I was in the AA Flt 193-192 (LAX-HKG-LAX) thread. For my flight, PE is packed as well. I've noticed that the price for the tickets keeps decreasing too. Strange. Not PE is just $200-ish more than Y rather that the 120% price they were asking for six weeks ago.

I'm hopeful still for the upgrade even as we just past the T-36 hour before I start the journey. Same 15 seat have remained open in the J-cabin. Think this is the longest time for not clearing (yet). Oh well... thinking the exit aisle seat in Y will be comfortable enough if I don't clear. Already thought I'd decline the PE middle seat upgrade if offered... nah....I'm good...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I’m loving upgrades on award tickets.....MEX-DFW-LGA all cleared well in advance and with a rather last minute booking.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
I have for my first time ever, wait listed SWUs for flight on 4-10 from MIA-GIG for three of us. When I was EP in the good old days I always just chose flights with "C" availability. But, the world keeps turning and so must we. I'll report back when and if we clear!

Safe Travels
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Anyone joining me to Hong Kong Tuesday night? looking like Y and PE are are packed. Looking like they will be rolling people forward indeed. F3 A3 J7 R7 D7 I7 W7 P0 Y4 B0 H4 K1 M0 L0 G4 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0
Have a good trip. Hope you get rolled ahead!

I would join you, but I am on the same flight on Thursday. :-)

If you don't mind, and if you have time, could you please check EF numbers for me too? (LAX-HKG AA193 on 21st.)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Nile_US

If you don't mind, and if you have time, could you please check EF numbers for me too? (LAX-HKG AA193 on 21st.)
Not a problem at all...
F3 A3 J7 R7 D7 I7 W7 P7 Y7 B0 H7 K6 M5 L4 G7 V4 S2 N0 Q0 O0 E0

Good Luck to you as well..
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Not a problem at all...
F3 A3 J7 R7 D7 I7 W7 P7 Y7 B0 H7 K6 M5 L4 G7 V4 S2 N0 Q0 O0 E0

Good Luck to you as well..
Thanks a lot! :-)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Re: JFK-CDG AA 44 upgrade using SWU
Originally Posted by enviroian
Did you clear?
Yes, I got upgraded as I was going through TSA pre-check. However, no SWU was deducted, the flight was sold out in Y I think, not sure if it was OP-upgrade or SWU.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Nile_US

Got Rolled... Just happened to be working on documents when notification came for me check-in for SFO-LAX leg (can't check-in since passport is needed...) but I did check EF first and there were no C space available. So, I just looked to see if my reservation changed for the LAX-HKG leg and it did.. I just had to select a seat (and meal) and 14 of the 15 seats available were still available. Selected 6DA over 9G. Wondering if the galley talk and gathering will affect me again... Hmmmm

But it appears that perhaps RM isn't publishing C space and just rolling people to avoid folks "jumping the queue" for those that have alerts set up. Game changer perhaps...
Nile_US likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: LH HON
Hoping for a nice birthday surprise for +1 on AA109 03/09 (we're booked into Y)
F6 A0 J7 R7 D7 I7 W6 P2 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 E1
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:21 pm

Tonight’s flight to HKG from LAX

1 person on the UG list and there are four available seats in J. Wow!! A mere 26 hrs ago there were 15.

Good time to be spontaneous if living in LA and wanted to do a MR.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
DW flying NRT-DFW on 3/1 (Fri), then LAX-NRT on 3/8 (Fri). She has a waitlisted SWU for both from me. She has no status nor EQDs.

The first flight is at J4, the second at J7 (agent says 9 seats available).

Interested in getting an unscientific sense of how likely either of these are to clear. I am assuming she will be at the bottom of any waitlist. In people’s experience do Tokyo routes on Friday tend to have long or short waitlists, or is it impossible to tell? I feel I’ve seen anything from 0 requests to double digits, but not sure if there’s any pattern.

All but given up on the DFW one, but LAX may have a shot...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Tonight’s flight to HKG from LAX

1 person on the UG list and there are four available seats in J. Wow!! A mere 26 hrs ago there were 15.

Good time to be spontaneous if living in LA and wanted to do a MR.
Same for me.I flew lax-hkg on the 17th. 24 hours before departure there was 20 seats and t-8 there was 6 open seats but i cleared shortly before t-4
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by mcrw00
DW flying NRT-DFW on 3/1 (Fri), then LAX-NRT on 3/8 (Fri). She has a waitlisted SWU for both from me. She has no status nor EQDs.

The first flight is at J4, the second at J7 (agent says 9 seats available).

Interested in getting an unscientific sense of how likely either of these are to clear. I am assuming she will be at the bottom of any waitlist. In people’s experience do Tokyo routes on Friday tend to have long or short waitlists, or is it impossible to tell? I feel I’ve seen anything from 0 requests to double digits, but not sure if there’s any pattern.

All but given up on the DFW one, but LAX may have a shot...
Is she on the earlier NRT-DFW, or the afternoon? The morning flight is a 772 (37J seats) and the afternoon a 789 (28J).

J4 is probably not the best sign for her, since she does not have status. But it's always possible.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by econometrics
Is she on the earlier NRT-DFW, or the afternoon? The morning flight is a 772 (37J seats) and the afternoon a 789 (28J).

J4 is probably not the best sign for her, since she does not have status. But it's always possible.
She’s on the morning flight fortunately. The afternoon is not only a smaller J cabin, but also is showing J1, so currently she’s got the best chances out of all the AA metal ex-TYO flights that day.

Fingers crossed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.