Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
duplicate

Last edited by bpauker; Jan 25, 2019 at 6:44 pm
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:51 am

Promo Gold with questions

I am sure you regular AA flyers are hating all of us promo gold folks but hopefully still willing to provide some advice.

Three of us are flying from RDU to MIA to SJU on 3/28/19 to catch a cruise. Our return will be from FCO to PHL and then to RDU on 4/19/19. The flights were ticketed by the cruise line and I presume are in the lowest category possible. These are ticketed on two reservations, mine and a separate one for my hubby and his mom. He and I are both promo gold until end of May and therefore have requested upgrades on the domestic flights using the ten 500 mile upgrade certs we each received. We have also requested upgrades on the FCO/PHL segment using 25K miles plus $350. Currently we have seat assignments on all segments in preferred economy (free) seats except I have purchased MCE for me on the long haul. So now my questions:

1. When I spoke with the AA rep to determine if our tickets were even eligible for the upgrades, she suggested checking on moving to MCE seats on the domestic legs prior to checkin - the presumption being that those higher on the food chain who get those seats for free now, might get upgraded to First and the MCE seats might become available for us to book at no charge. Recommendations on how long before our flight I should start checking for that would be appreciated.

2. If we get very (very) lucky and get all the domestic flights upgraded to First, I will end up using 5 of my certificates but hubby will be one short of enough to upgrade both he and his Mom. Is there a way AA would let me use one of mine to upgrade her? Should I try to change her reservation from being linked with his to being linked with mine after we finish the outbound legs? I presume AA won't let you do this after travel has started but thought you might have some suggestions. If not, does he have to buy the additional certificate prior to check in or will it give him the opportunity to do that once it is confirmed there is even a seat available?

3. If we again get lucky and our requested upgrade to Business goes through, I understand I will be refunded the cost of my MCE seat already purchased. Is this automatic or will I need to do anything to get it?

4. What am I forgetting to ask? Any recommendations on how to increase our chances for any or all of these upgrades will be most appreciated!

TIA,
Clay
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Confirmed Mileage Upgrade

I used to like using mileage upgrades for some flights because, if inventory was available, they were always confirmed at time of ticketing. But I recently booked a MIA-YYZ trip for mid May and called AA to upgrade with miles. To my surprise I was told they’re not yet processing mileage upgrades and I was put on the upgrade list. Assuming it works differently now, how far out before flight time do they usually clear? I don’t travel nearly as much as before and am not nearly as AAdvantage savvy as I was years ago. Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by bpauker
Striking out (0 for 2) so far this year on my first AA flights for upgrades (I live overseas and normally fly Malaysian, Qantas, or Cathay). I was 22 of about 40 on HKG-DFW and 2 of 13 on DFW-SJC. Exp with 19k rolling EQD. I am Troy surprised I couldn’t get the SJC one, but not as surprised about the HKG flight.
That's the latest "roll of the dice" when it comes to upgrading on AA as EXP.

I'm often within the top 3-5 on the UG list at the gate myself. I recall at least twice the GA coming onboard to give me my new BP for the upgrade while having another passenger behind them to take my exit row seat. My EDQ is just just slightly ahead of yours by 2K.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:17 am

Cleared a SWU on AA128 PVG-DFW for Monday Feb 4 about T-6 days. EXP, low EQD.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:14 am

I often find U space for ORD-SJC and some DFW-SJC, so have spent lots of miles on that. As a new EXP with 19K EQD, I am 0/2 on the DFW-SJC this year. For a short regional I fly, I am 100% at T-100; Spouse with Plat can also always get that regional upgrade.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Just in case anyone is looking for this info. I got the trail for EF and checked for this. (For AA193 on 21st Feb)

First - MileSAAver Award (for 3 cabin flights only)Z0
First - Upgrade (for 3 cabin flights only) A0
Business - AAnytime Award (Including 2-Cabin Domestic First)J7
Business - MileSAAver Award (Including 2-Cabin Domestic First)U0
Business - Upgrade (Including 2-Cabin Domestic First) C0
Premium Economy - AAnytime AwardW3
Premium Economy - MileSAAver AwardX0
Coach - AAnytime AwardY7
Coach - Employee Travel and Confirmed Flight ChangesE0
It is showing 0 for C. Does that basically mean no C space will be available? I assume that either all the available have been taken up or none were available. Is there a scenario where it might open up?

Last edited by Nile_US; Jan 30, 2019 at 4:16 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
And here is the total availability.

AA 193 0 LAX
02/21/19 11:55 PM HKG
02/23/19 7:20 AM 77W
Daily
69% / 90m F3 A3 J7 R7 D7 I7 W2 P0 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O0 E0
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Nile_US
Just in case anyone is looking for this info. I got the trail for EF and checked for this. (For AA193 on 21st Feb)

It is showing 0 for C. Does that basically mean no C space will be available? I assume that either all the available have been taken up or none were available. Is there a scenario where it might open up?
Yes, C space may still open up but it's hard to tell when. Lots of times you'll see C space open up on international business anywhere from 1 day - 2 weeks before the flight but it completely varies and there's really no defined system to the public eye. Just because it's C0 now doesn't mean it might not be C5 by the time you wake up tomorrow. Once the number of J seats starts to dwindle (e.g. <J7), then the likelihood of C space gets lower. Your flight is still showing I7 (discount business) which is good for you, as remaining "I" space will likely result in a higher probability of C space opening up - but you're still pretty far out at T-3 weeks.
Nile_US likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
Just to share my experience for LAX-LHR-LAX.

Both flights were wide open in J (I've been told it's less than 50% sold) before they cleared the upgrades. C opened up at T-35 hours (had to call in to request the upgrade to be confirmed) although I suspect that I will clear if I didn't call anyway, but better be safe than sorry.

Seems like they are really waiting until the very last few hours to clear the upgrades (understandable for a route that might get sell a lot of J tickets, but both my flights were about 60-70% full in J after all upgrades + employees have cleared and mid-week January TATL travel).

IIRC, my upgrades cleared around T-7 days last year.
Hi
Quick question...Are you using Expert Flyer to see if C opens up?
Thanks
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BillBurn
OK I lied, one final final update. AA has actually formally reissued the ticket in W and the web supervisor, Diego, called me back to confirm. I guess this is a data point that you can get AA to honor the website vs. ticket issue if you try hard enough. Shoutout to Diego for his help and professionalism.
Glad that AA did do the right thing for you!

Hope they solved the glitch on their system: show W but book into P fiasco!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Data Point on LAX-HKG

Ticket purchased on 12.14.18, booked into Premium Economy. Hoping for upgrade to J.

Outbound 1.27.19, LAX-HKG #193 . SWU Waitlisted.

Return 1.29.19, HKG-LAX #192 . SWU Waitlisted.

Expert Flyer notifications set.

Outbound upgrade cleared 24 hours before flight. Mini-cabin available in J. ^

Return flight.......nothing. Was #3 on the upgrade list out of 6. As boarding commenced, #2 cleared. At least I had eaten at The Haven inside CX Wing lounge.

Twelve hours in Premium Economy not too bad. The overall seat comfort is fine, but my neck is killing me. Lack of storage at the seat and in overhead bins (compared to J) is significant. Very important to get on "the bus" early if you want your luggage to be near your seat during the flight. Saw lots of passengers "swimming upstream" as we deplaned. Never saw a line or significant wait for the toilet until 30 minutes before landing.
zip10001 and Nile_US like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I had a few flights to South America (JFK//GRU, MIA//SCL) clear around 60-90 days out. Was a surprise for me and some of my 2018 SWU's were used instead of the 2019 ones, which was an additional bonus!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by Crazyboutflying
Hi
Quick question...Are you using Expert Flyer to see if C opens up?
Thanks
Yes
Crazyboutflying likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by nov11
Yes
thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.