Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I’ve had a couple of trips booked where the selling class was P after the AA website showed that the ticket was “flexible”. Looking at the fare conditions, the ticket was indeed refunadable before departure (not just future credit), but had a $300 fee for doing so. I’m guessing that a W fare would be fully refundable with no fee due for doing so.
Yeah that's what the P fare I have now is, $300 cancel fee and $250 change fee. When I checked the detailed fare rules for my W segment that actually booked in P there wasn't even a "Penalties" section in the fare rules!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
First, I have successfully booked very reasonable W fares to Asia (roundtrip), so they do exist. Second, I have also run into the issue where the website shows W at a certain price but it's not actually bookable (or it actually books into P).

I'm not sure how far you will get with AA in terms of honoring the W fare on the outbound, but it seems that they did put a note in your reservation. I might try to call back to web services, ask to speak to a supervisor, and see if they can do anything. If the itinerary with W on both outbound and return reappears, I would put it on hold and see if AA will refund your original tickets without a fee, given the circumstances and the notation in your reservation.

In general with AA, I will put a reservation on hold, double check the e-mail confirmation, and then book the ticket.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:30 am

Thanks for the advice @flyingeph12 . I will certainly do so in the future.. I wanted to put it on hold and call them (in part to apply some refunded tickets) but it wouldn't let me do a hold because of a JL segment. Live and learn I guess!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:23 pm

Just one final update, I decided to go back and call one more time to see if I could get this resolved. This time after almost 2 hours I was able to get a "web supervisor" who acknowledged the issue, apologized (!!) for AA's mistake and said that he was making notations in my record such that if I ever try to change the fare or upgrade off of it I will be treated as if I had a W fare for purposes of calculating any change fees or any upgrade mileage.

Now I have no idea what will happen when if/when I actually try to do this (especially if I split the record), but I guess it is better than nothing. The lesson here is always check the issued ticket fare classes against what the website said you were buying especially when it comes to PE tickets.

Last edited by BillBurn; Jan 24, 2019 at 12:40 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:17 pm

OK I lied, one final final update. AA has actually formally reissued the ticket in W and the web supervisor, Diego, called me back to confirm. I guess this is a data point that you can get AA to honor the website vs. ticket issue if you try hard enough. Shoutout to Diego for his help and professionalism.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by mikhailm
AA193 LAX-HKG went out Friday night with the first 2 people clearing off an upgrade list 39 people deep. I was half way down the list as an EXP with bare minimum EQD. The flight had 9-11 open J seats on EF around the T-24-48 window; went down to 2 open seats the day of the departure.

Time for me to start monitoring this flight again as I'm off to HKG in a few weeks. Have set up my EF Alert for C space indeed. Not going to stress about it too much. Have an unbroken streak of luck with securing this upgrade 12 times already.

On the brighter side, my upgrade DFW-HOU came in spot on at the 100-hour mark. SFO-DFW, ugh... No biggie. Have scored it a few time after getting comfy in exit aisle seat.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Quick advice appreciated please

I booked AA 78 to lhr on 2/15 to lhr and back on 79 on 2/20 and applied SWU waitlisted for each leg. I chose these flights because both I and J were 7 so I thought my chances of clearing are good. Well the outbound 78 only had a few open seats showing in EF but the earlier AA 50 is wide open in business.

The return 79 seems better to clear but any advice is appreciated as I have 24 to cancel and start over.

Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Time for me to start monitoring this flight again as I'm off to HKG in a few weeks. Have set up my EF Alert for C space indeed. Not going to stress about it too much. Have an unbroken streak of luck with securing this upgrade 12 times already.

On the brighter side, my upgrade DFW-HOU came in spot on at the 100-hour mark. SFO-DFW, ugh... No biggie. Have scored it a few time after getting comfy in exit aisle seat.
What date are you going, if you don't mind me asking. I am on the same flight in few weeks as well (Feb 21st, to be exact). I am curious too, but I don't have EF.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Nile_US
What date are you going, if you don't mind me asking. I am on the same flight in few weeks as well (Feb 21st, to be exact). I am curious too, but I don't have EF.
I'm actually out-bound on the 19th. Always good for me to arrive Thursday morning ready to have at least 2 days of work before the weekend while there in HKG. Below is the flight availability details for your flight on the 21st.

F4 A4 J7 R7 D7 I7 W7 P6 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q5 O0 E0

Good Luck with upgrading as well. And I checked for C space on the 21st too. None available at the moment.
Nile_US likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by enviroian
I booked AA 78 to lhr on 2/15 to lhr and back on 79 on 2/20 and applied SWU waitlisted for each leg. I chose these flights because both I and J were 7 so I thought my chances of clearing are good. Well the outbound 78 only had a few open seats showing in EF but the earlier AA 50 is wide open in business.

The return 79 seems better to clear but any advice is appreciated as I have 24 to cancel and start over.

Thanks
Given those options for DFW-LHR on 2/15 I would definitely cancel and rebook rebook on AA50 as it looks wide open in business as you mentioned. Much better SWU chances. AA78 is down to J2.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Given those options for DFW-LHR on 2/15 I would definitely cancel and rebook rebook on AA50 as it looks wide open in business as you mentioned. Much better SWU chances. AA78 is down to J2.
Just did, thanks.

It was J/I 7 4 hours ago oddly enough.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I'm actually out-bound on the 19th. Always good for me to arrive Thursday morning ready to have at least 2 days of work before the weekend while there in HKG. Below is the flight availability details for your flight on the 21st.

Good Luck with upgrading as well. And I checked for C space on the 21st too. None available at the moment.
I’m booked on a pi$$ off Dougie MR for May on a LAX-HKG-LAX-SAN routing. The return is showing 18 J seats occupied and EF availability shows as such

F4 A1 J7 R7 D7 I7 W7 P7 Y7 B0 H7 K7M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O0

so still the potential for a miles + copay upgrade to J. The puzzler is on the outbound. Just 3 J seats occupied, but EF is reporting

F5 A3 J7 R7 D7 I0 W7 P2 Y7 B0 H7 K7M7 L7 G7 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

so given the lack of I inventory, there is much less of a chance of a J upgrade on this leg. I did think that perhaps a cruise line had booked a block of seats and therefore they were not allocated, but the only cruise ship due into the port during my stay departs the day after I arrive (which makes sense for cruise passengers), but it’s a 5 day closed loop via some Chinese ports, so you wouldn’t expect a plethora of US passengers to be aboard. PY and Y discounted seats also appear to be in short supplying this flight, even though I see only10 seats allocated in PY and 41 seats in economy, with only 1 of those in MCE/Premium seats, so not a lot of competition for any potential upgrades.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum

Thanks! Really appreciate it. And good luck to you to for the upgrades.

Just so I understand, the C space is in Business cabin or or both Business as well as First class? I am booked in Premium Economy, so if I have to look for conformable space for an upgrade, do I look for C? I am quite new to this, so sorry for the noob questions.

thanks again.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Nile_US
Thanks! Really appreciate it. And good luck to you to for the upgrades.

Just so I understand, the C space is in Business cabin or or both Business as well as First class? I am booked in Premium Economy, so if I have to look for conformable space for an upgrade, do I look for C? I am quite new to this, so sorry for the noob questions.

thanks again.
Yes, look for C space. C is business upgrade availability (if you're booked in coach or premium economy) and A is first upgrade availability (if you're booked in business). "A" availability is only applicable on the 77W (certain flagship longhaul flights like LHR, HKG, etc.) and A321T (JFK-LAX/SFO). "C" space is applicable on nearly all AA flights except regional AA Eagle flights without a business class cabin.
Crazyboutflying, E55 and Nile_US like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Striking out (0 for 2) so far this year on my first AA flights for upgrades (I live overseas and normally fly Malaysian, Qantas, or Cathay). I was 22 of about 40 on HKG-DFW and 2 of 13 on DFW-SJC. Exp with 19k rolling EQD. I am Troy surprised I couldn’t get the SJC one, but not as surprised about the HKG flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.