Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Presidents Club
Thank you .. if I read the availability it tells me only 1 seat is open .. oh well
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by GRR_Flier
Thank you .. if I read the availability it tells me only 1 seat is open .. oh well
Quick peak at the seat map (yes I know it is a bit unreliable) only shows D7 as unassigned.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
OK... Have a question that perhaps has been debated in the past regarding upgrading using SWU.

So... It's been my experience a few times that the EXP CS agents, as well as I, have discovered that there's C space available for the domestic portion of my trip but it's recommended that I use the SWU for just the Int. portion of my trip... Yea,,, I get it... Use my EXP status to get the upgrade on domestic leg.... Cool indeed... But....

I'm just curious with the "behind the scene" stuff. Does one's SWU " affect the standing one has on the upgrade list?

For example, would a CK/EXP applying a SWU for their Intl leg get them priority on the upgrade list for the domestic leg above CK/EXP's bases on EQD's?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by GRR_Flier
Correct... But I'm still a little "confused" after speaking with my travel agent.

True that there's only one seat available in J despite AA offering to sell a J seat in "J and I" class as well as offering an "R" class seat too... Guessing it's "first come... first served" in this regard. My TA thoughts were if one wanted higher status for the seat, a call to AA was required as all she was able to confirm an I class ticket. No way was it was possible for her to get the J class other than calling in herself.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
OK... Have a question that perhaps has been debated in the past regarding upgrading using SWU.

So... It's been my experience a few times that the EXP CS agents, as well as I, have discovered that there's C space available for the domestic portion of my trip but it's recommended that I use the SWU for just the Int. portion of my trip... Yea,,, I get it... Use my EXP status to get the upgrade on domestic leg.... Cool indeed... But....

I'm just curious with the "behind the scene" stuff. Does one's SWU " affect the standing one has on the upgrade list?

For example, would a CK/EXP applying a SWU for their Intl leg get them priority on the upgrade list for the domestic leg above CK/EXP's bases on EQD's?
No, the fact that you have a waitlisted SWU on an int'l segment has no bearing on your waitlist position for any domestic segments where you're also waitlisted for a sticker uograde.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, the fact that you have a waitlisted SWU on an int'l segment has no bearing on your waitlist position for any domestic segments where you're also waitlisted for a sticker uograde.
Let's say the SWU on the int'l segment clears a few days before the flight and you are now committed to using the SWU. It would be great if that bumped you ahead of sticker upgrades on your domestic connections.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
15/51 for 1 J seat on a 788 to phx today.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA
Flying AA193 on 12/1 in business (D). I requested the upgrade to F by using a BXP3. Any chance this clears? Will it clear with any advanced notice? Im a PPRO if it makes a difference.

Also, in Y on 12/1 AA2663. Used a BXP1 to upgrade. Chances of that clearing?

TIA
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by robinsondg
Flying AA193 on 12/1 in business (D). I requested the upgrade to F by using a BXP3. Any chance this clears? Will it clear with any advanced notice? Im a PPRO if it makes a difference.

TIA
What route is AA193 and AA2663? I do not have every single AA flight number memorized. What does the flight load look like from ExpertFlyer in business and first? Most of us are happy to provide guidance however it is helpful if you can at least provide basic details rather than make us do all the legwork for you.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by robinsondg

TIA
I think your chances of clearing on AA 193 are likely higher than your chances of clearing on AA 2663. I would have said that an F upgrade on AA 193 would be a pretty sure bet, but it looks like there's only 3/8 seats left (I still think it's unlikely all 3 seats will be sold, but you never know). You should have priority over those trying to use complimentary/sticker upgrades on AA 2663, but it's the Sunday after Thanksgiving...
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Success! just cleared 2 upgrades with miles on AA740 PHL-MAD, at T-25hrs (although I'm Plat) It was J4/C0 for a while, went to J4/C1 earlier today on EF, then dropped to J3/C0 when we cleared.
A weird system but we get results..
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Was #24/31 on AA2443 Tuesday afternoon. 2 cleared.

DFW-LGA

Almost 9k rolling EQDs.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Flying 10:25 pm tonight ORD-LHR. Just checked my reservation (T-14 hours) and was surprised to find that my SWU cleared. Now I have to choose between 7d and 3h on the 789.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Not a bad day... upgraded all three legs;

JAX - CLT
CLT - ORD
ORD - LHR
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
So I just purchased a multi city ticket in Concur all ticketed on BA:

PHX-LHR on AA - Discounted PE
LHR-DXB on BA - Discounted PE
DXB-PHX all on BA - Full fare PE

Any way to upgrade any of this with AA miles? I called twice and got 2 different answers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.