Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Finsup72
No. AA doesn't release any valuable C space on long distance routes until 36-48 hours before departure and therefore makes it very hard to plan long-distance vacations (even if the seat map is empty and ExpertFlyer shows >J7). You can certainly find readily available C space on a short-haul American Eagle flight though!
While C space in advance is certainly hard to find, it's definitely 100% not true that AA doesn't release any space at all until close in.

Asia is much harder to find in advance than Europe these days, especially with most Asia flying on smaller business cabin 787's. But it's not that hard at all to find C space to/from Europe in the Fall and Winter.

For example, looking now at EF for JFK-LHR and LHR-JFK, I see TONS of C space for pretty much all of Oct and Nov. Also spot checking a few other random routes I see C space on JFK-MXP, MIA-MXP, PHL-AMS, PHL-MAN, JFK-CDG, just to name a few. This was looking at random weeks in Oct. and Nov.
matt85 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:57 pm

Hi all! I've been stalking my LAX>HKG flight next month (10/16 AA193). There's still plenty of business seats available (J7), while there's only 1 seat left in first, although EF is showing F0. I have been looking at recent AA193 flights and it appears C space is opening up around 12-14 hours before the flight. How are my chances looking at a miles+copay upgrade for this flight now that first class has booked up?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mzsmiley
Hi all! I've been stalking my LAX>HKG flight next month (10/16 AA193). There's still plenty of business seats available (J7), while there's only 1 seat left in first, although EF is showing F0. I have been looking at recent AA193 flights and it appears C space is opening up around 12-14 hours before the flight. How are my chances looking at a miles+copay upgrade for this flight now that first class has booked up?
For being about a month out your chances look decent. Business is basically half full. You're flying on a Tuesday night (actually early Wednesday morning) which is about the best travel day with regards to AA upgrade chances on pretty much every long-haul route.
mzsmiley likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matt85
Are there any long distance routes where AA usually has C space available? Asia, Europe, or anything. I've a few left that will expire in January, and looking for opportunities to spend them for a weekend trip.
Already checked the routes to PVG without much luck from October - January. I would like to avoid gambling and if at all possible clear it at booking. Forfeiting the upgrades is less painful than 12 hours Y...
It changes from day to day, but it's mostly likely to be available in advance sometimes on some routes. I scored an C1 upgrade ahead of time both ways on PHX<->SJO (Costa Rica) which is a new route starting in December that I'm flying a couple months later on a 737. That C1 appeared on the outboard for a few weeks, then disappeared, then a few weeks later it appeared in both directions, and I grabbed it. Whether it'll appear again, I don't know.

And not that that's probably not a route with high business travel, and not a plane on which seats upfront are as highly coveted.

Anyway, you have to be flexible in either where you're going or when you're going or at least when you're booking to find it.
matt85 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
yet another 'any chance of a SWU' question?

hey y'all!
I feel like I often start with this preface: after years of being a good FTer, I've kinda checked out on following all of AA's regs and rules. So I apologize as I suspect (although I searched and didn't see much) if this has been asked 100 times.

I'm headed to CDG on a whim for a long weekend (I know, right?) in a few weeks. My routing is SFO-CLT-CDG on AA786. It looks like I'm in a Q fare (not quite sure what that means?). I booked about 5 weeks ago which makes the booking about 7 weeks out from the trip.

I called AA EP today and they said there wasn't any inventory at all. It was unclear if that meant biz is full, or just unopened for upgrades - regardless, she didn't think my prospects were good.

My questions are:
1. are there any good tips/methods for increasing one's odds for a SWU? (at least at this stage, post-booking). I know sometimes a flight schedule change can allow us to find another routing, but that's not the case for me on this trip.
2. I understand a lot of people use Expert Flyer to some advantage - what's the trick there? Is that all about booking the right flight in the first place? Or does EF provide some added benefit with SWUs post-booking?

Thanks for the patience - I know its kind of a noobie question for a multi-year EP.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by dkc192
As a PLT on a hub-to-hub on a popular business travel day at a popular business travel time? Very doubtful, to be honest.
Thats what I would think too... and it looks like there is just 1 seat available in F now (just using the app... need to sign up for EF still). Upfare was $525 when I called.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
It looks like I'm in a Q fare (not quite sure what that means?).
On this question, see https://cwsi.net/aa.htm.

I'll let others answer the SWU questions as I've given up trying to use mine.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hey y'all!
I feel like I often start with this preface: after years of being a good FTer, I've kinda checked out on following all of AA's regs and rules. So I apologize as I suspect (although I searched and didn't see much) if this has been asked 100 times.

I'm headed to CDG on a whim for a long weekend (I know, right?) in a few weeks. My routing is SFO-CLT-CDG on AA786. It looks like I'm in a Q fare (not quite sure what that means?). I booked about 5 weeks ago which makes the booking about 7 weeks out from the trip.

I called AA EP today and they said there wasn't any inventory at all. It was unclear if that meant biz is full, or just unopened for upgrades - regardless, she didn't think my prospects were good.

My questions are:
1. are there any good tips/methods for increasing one's odds for a SWU? (at least at this stage, post-booking). I know sometimes a flight schedule change can allow us to find another routing, but that's not the case for me on this trip.
2. I understand a lot of people use Expert Flyer to some advantage - what's the trick there? Is that all about booking the right flight in the first place? Or does EF provide some added benefit with SWUs post-booking?

Thanks for the patience - I know its kind of a noobie question for a multi-year EP.
You've already booked your flights so there's not much you can do other than call AA back and ask to be put on the waitlist (if you didn't already on the first call). Forget about whatever semantics the prior agent used, they were most likely saying there just wasn't any upgrade space at the current time (very common).

EF can help in 2 ways:

Before you book: Check lots of flights for any confirmable C space in advance, rare but it does happen. Can also check loads, seatmaps, etc. to gauge which flights might give you the best chances.

After you book: can set up alerts for your flights, if/when C space opens up you can call in and ask for the upgrade to be processed immediately rather than waiting for the waitlist to process. Sometimes, depending on the situation, you may be able to "jump the queue" this way, but some agents won't manually process your upgrade if you're on the waitlist, and other times it might not matter at all.
bunkunu likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP is this a 332 bird? C space *should* open up at T-24 or 48 so EF can help you with that as you can set an alert. I've used it many times with great results.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Thanks yall! Interesting!
I’ve learned two things:
1. I have an EF login and pro account ... literally have no recollection of that, may need to see a neurologist
2. There is a single seat showing available - is that a good thing for me?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks yall! Interesting!
I’ve learned two things:
1. I have an EF login and pro account ... literally have no recollection of that, may need to see a neurologist
2. There is a single seat showing available - is that a good thing for me?
C1 is currently showing?? get off Flyertalk now and get on the horn to snag it now!
GTITAN and enpremiere like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP did you get the upgrade? You can’t keep us hanging! Lol
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I have to say the single best real enhancement has been upgrades on award tickets. I booked SXM-MIA-NYC for 12,500 miles and was upgraded on both segments almost immediately. In fact every coach award ticket Ive booked has resulted in an upgrade....if only my paid tickets had this much luck!
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:30 am

Looking for upgrade space on AA79 from LHR to DFW next Sunday. EF Shows J7 and Seat map has 11 seats unassigned. I am starting to think it should open up a few days. Thoughts?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tramm7
Looking for upgrade space on AA79 from LHR to DFW next Sunday. EF Shows J7 and Seat map has 11 seats unassigned. I am starting to think it should open up a few days. Thoughts?
Like pretty much every other long haul flight on AA these days, if it stays J7 then space will most likely open up around 24-48 hrs before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.