Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
My first ever ‘will I get upgraded?’ post

Hey friends - this is a milestone for me
im mostly curious about how the process works.
I’m doing a last minute SFO-JFK-DCA trip next week.
This morning my JFK-DCA leg cleared but the transcon didnt. I’m EXP. I see open biz seats on EF. Why didn’t I get one?
(Not saying I’m entitled to one. Just curious how it works)
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Just for reference I wanted to share my 500 mile upgrade experience for all of 2018 as it goes to show that Gold status can actually be quite beneficial if you live and travel in the right markets (such as CLT). I think Gold status is often seen as kind of worthless (and it is for some people) but I personally don't see any need for me to push for Platinum with my current travel trends.

In 2018, I cleared 100% of my upgrade requests and my husband also cleared as my companion 100% of the time that I requested for him. I try to purchase first class tickets on longer domestic flights so these were all shorter flights.

That I can recall, I was upgraded on the following routes:
ORD-CLT
CLT-ORD
GSO-CLT
ORD-FNT
GRR-CLT
MSN-CLT
CLT-MSN
MKE-CLT
CLT-MKE

On the very few flights I ended up in economy due to there being no first class cabin and/or not requesting an upgrade, I was able to get a free exit row or bulk head seat at the 24 hour mark.

Moral of the story - CLT offers a great opportunity for upgrades to AA Gold members. On the negative side of that we still get stuck with mostly LUS planes that are looking pretty worn.

I'm very happy as an AA Gold! (even if not real happy with AA at the moment...but that is another story)
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Welcome to the world of upgrades. There has to be the proper inventory for upgrades...likely to occur closer to flight date. Seats are probably still just earmarked for sale rather than upgrade at this point. Hope you get it!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
What you don’t know is how many people are ahead of you. AA doesn’t publish the upgrade list unti T-4. However, you might clear before that time,
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Flying LAX-LHR (AA136) tomorrow in PE. I applied my SWU and am on upgrade standby but now it is less than T-30 and my seat is still 15D. There are 17 available seats in the J seat map AND the "Systemwide Upgrades" link on the Book Flights page shows availability between PE and J. Wondering why my request hasn't cleared yet - maybe related to the system updates they're doing? Any others with similar experience?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA Baracus
...AND the "Systemwide Upgrades" link on the Book Flights page shows availability between PE and J. Wondering why my request hasn't cleared yet
You should be calling the EXP line...
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by BA Baracus
Flying LAX-LHR (AA136) tomorrow in PE. I applied my SWU and am on upgrade standby but now it is less than T-30 and my seat is still 15D. There are 17 available seats in the J seat map AND the "Systemwide Upgrades" link on the Book Flights page shows availability between PE and J. Wondering why my request hasn't cleared yet - maybe related to the system updates they're doing? Any others with similar experience?
Both 108 and 136 tomorrow are showing C7 at the moment, so your waitlist should have cleared. You should definitely be calling them.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Brooke.E
Just for reference I wanted to share my 500 mile upgrade experience for all of 2018 as it goes to show that Gold status can actually be quite beneficial if you live and travel in the right markets (such as CLT). I think Gold status is often seen as kind of worthless (and it is for some people) but I personally don't see any need for me to push for Platinum with my current travel trends.

In 2018, I cleared 100% of my upgrade requests and my husband also cleared as my companion 100% of the time that I requested for him. I try to purchase first class tickets on longer domestic flights so these were all shorter flights.

That I can recall, I was upgraded on the following routes:
ORD-CLT
CLT-ORD
GSO-CLT
ORD-FNT
GRR-CLT
MSN-CLT
CLT-MSN
MKE-CLT
CLT-MKE

On the very few flights I ended up in economy due to there being no first class cabin and/or not requesting an upgrade, I was able to get a free exit row or bulk head seat at the 24 hour mark.

Moral of the story - CLT offers a great opportunity for upgrades to AA Gold members. On the negative side of that we still get stuck with mostly LUS planes that are looking pretty worn.

I'm very happy as an AA Gold! (even if not real happy with AA at the moment...but that is another story)
I had 4 Y flights that originated, or terminated in CLT in 2018 (to/from SAN) and I went 0-4 as a PLT
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:27 am

upgrade on DCA-LAS

I recently got platinum status on AA. Is that likely (if you were guessing; I realize there's no certainty) to be sufficient to get an upgrade, using 500 mile upgrades, on a mid-week DCA-LAS flight? I am guessing it is not; there are plenty of higher status folks. But I have no idea. Thanks,
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I would say not likely at all. you have a lot of paid F on that route. Looking at next week, Tuesday is sold out and Wednesday has two.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is impossible to judge from one flight to the next. On the one hand, F is fairly cheap on the route and many people will either purchase that or buy up. On the other hand, with the shut down, there is less travel by both government employees and businesses doing business with the government.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage / HHonors /Hyatt
What are my chances getting SWU on DFW to HKG on 1/18/19 (Friday).... Is it pretty busy route with a lot of elite members
Currently see 13 seats available on Business Class ( when booking for $)
When called agent said they can only Wait list, but she also said there is possibility since they have seats available.

Last edited by husnikkw; Jan 14, 2019 at 1:42 pm Reason: More info
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by husnikkw
What are my chances getting SWU on DFW to HKG on 1/18/19 (Friday).... Is it pretty busy route with a lot of elite members
When called agent said they can only Wait list, but she also said there is possibility since they have seats available.

Can't even give you a remote idea without knowing your status
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by husnikkw
If you're Executive Platinum using your own SWU, your chances are 72%.
If you don't have any elite status on AA and are using a SWU gifted by someone else, then your chances are 17%.
In either case, your chances are much higher if you use the SWU than if you don't. @:-)
Good luck!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage / HHonors /Hyatt
Sorry, I forgot to include those details.
I have Gold status with AA and will be using gifted SWU from a friend (he is EXP, if it makes any difference)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.