Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 6:46 pm

Put my SWU in two months ago but havent seen a peep on my EF alert. Seat map shows 3 open business and 1 blocked seat. Are these truly empty or is it possible theyre sold out but just unassigned?

a rep on the phone said business is sold out, but when I went to AA.com and pretended to buy a business class on that flight, it said 3 available, which is exactly as many open seats as shown on EF not including the blocked seat

Last edited by JDiver; May 9, 2019 at 3:13 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old May 8, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Why chance a D upgrade fare into F when the I fare is cheaper?

I'm trying to assist a friend with getting a flight to STI and meeting resistance as to why the D fare flight for F (option #2 ) is more expensive than the I fare flight (option #1 ) when both flights are exactly the same otherwise.

Any tips/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
flight difference.docx (260.6 KB, 14 views)
Old May 8, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by noobalert
a rep on the phone said business is sold out, but when I went to AA.com and pretended to buy a business class on that flight, it said 3 available, which is exactly as many open seats as shown on EF not including the blocked seat
did the rep say "business is sold out" or "business is not available"? The latter could have been in reference to an SWU upgrade.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Why chance a D upgrade fare into F when the I fare is cheaper?

I'm trying to assist a friend with getting a flight to STI and meeting resistance as to why the D fare flight for F (option #2 ) is more expensive than the I fare flight (option #1 ) when both flights are exactly the same otherwise.

Any tips/comments would be greatly appreciated.
D is a higher fare class than I, even though both are Business/First. So no surprise that D would be more expensive than I. (And in your particular case, I'm not surprised EWR has I availability, while LGA only has D.)

In general, there's no real reason to choose a D fare over an I fare, all else equal. There are usually fewer I seats available on a given flight, so I is not always available for flights that you want. It also might be easier to do a same-day confirmed change with a D fare, and a D fare might have less restrictive rules.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
That flight is J4 F1 so probably 3 or 4 seats left in J (they sometimes oversell) and 1 in F.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
If the flight is J3, there is a near zero percent chance it will clear before T48 (and honestly, closer to T24 if not the gate)
GTITAN likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
D is a higher fare class than I, even though both are Business/First. So no surprise that D would be more expensive than I. (And in your particular case, I'm not surprised EWR has I availability, while LGA only has D.)

In general, there's no real reason to choose a D fare over an I fare, all else equal. There are usually fewer I seats available on a given flight, so I is not always available for flights that you want. It also might be easier to do a same-day confirmed change with a D fare, and a D fare might have less restrictive rules.
One other reason to choose a D fare over an I fare is (if it's a three-class aircraft and) the passenger intends to upgrade to F with miles, there's no copay as D counts as full-fare. Never mind, though, if the difference between I and D is greater than $550.

For this itinerary, yeah, no reason to choose D over I.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Deleted.... Looks Like I quoted the wrong post after my post.

@flyingeph12 & @potus18 Thanks... I guess that's my friend's sweet spot of habit. And it's news to me indeed. I would have just selected the I fare as the "cheaper" fare and not thought more of the matter since the flights were exactly the same except a flight # change for some reason.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; May 8, 2019 at 8:44 pm Reason: updated content
Old May 8, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Ambassador (LT Titanium)
Hey All - I'm going LA to London and am looking for thoughts/advice on SWU upgrade chances Y>J between the following options:

Option 1: LAX-PHX-LHR
AA194 - 772 (37 J)

Option 2: LAX-DFW-LHR
AA50 - 77W (45 J)

I'm wondering if the relative newness of the PHX-LHR route means it could be less popular (but maybe more popular?). Also wondering if the elite heavy Dallas offsets the extra J seats in the 77W. This is for summer by the way, August 23rd, which is a Friday.

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks!

-Sam

Last edited by sam2k2002; May 8, 2019 at 9:39 pm
Old May 8, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
did the rep say "business is sold out" or "business is not available"? The latter could have been in reference to an SWU upgrade.
Two agents said business was sold out.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
It's not. There is inventory.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What is your routing? The only direct flight I see from ORD-->NRT on 5/12 is on JL. While you can purchase an AA codeshare, you can't use your SWU on non AA metal.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dciolli
What is your routing? The only direct flight I see from ORD-->NRT on 5/12 is on JL. While you can purchase an AA codeshare, you can't use your SWU on non AA metal.
great catch! ^

I checked EF and neither DFW nor LAX to NRT are showing J3 too. The plot thickens...
Old May 10, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Presidential Circle
DFW to ICN Chances

Hi Everyone-

I'm traveling from DFW to ICN on 5/29 on a 787 (30 J seats) and there are 8 seats left in J. I've never not had an SWU clear but I think this is the first time I've really been sweating it out. Any thoughts on chances this one clears?
Old May 10, 2019, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saleen22
Hi Everyone-

I'm traveling from DFW to ICN on 5/29 on a 787 (30 J seats) and there are 8 seats left in J. I've never not had an SWU clear but I think this is the first time I've really been sweating it out. Any thoughts on chances this one clears?
the date helps you (Wednesday) , but it's really too far out/unknown to estimate.

EF only goes to J7. How do you know there are 8 seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.