FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Need Advice: transatlantic Flight LAX-ATH (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1949480-need-advice-transatlantic-flight-lax-ath.html)

dciolli Jan 6, 2019 9:31 am

Need Advice: transatlantic Flight LAX-ATH

I'm looking at options for LAX-ATH in J for late August 2019. Here's the options I've found for the TATL leg:

1) LAX-LHR BA 747 - Good connection options and can fly the 747 for the first time, but Club World isn't great.
2) LAX-LHR AA 77W - Best seat but only one connection option that would arrive in ATH at 2:25am.
3) ORD-ATH AA 788 - Typically try to avoid due to the seat rocking issues.
4) PHL-ATH AA 330 - Decent seat but lengthy domestic leg on a LUS 321 and early departure time would make it difficult to sleep.

Assuming the price is equal, which would you choose? We will be coming back CHQ-HEL-LAX on AY and get to try their new A350.

justhere Jan 6, 2019 9:44 am

Originally Posted by dciolli (Post 30617573)
I'm looking at options for LAX-ATH in J for late August 2019. Here's the options I've found for the TPAC leg:

1) LAX-LHR BA 747 - Good connection options and can fly the 747 for the first time, but Club World isn't great.
2) LAX-LHR AA 77W - Best seat but only one connection option that would arrive in ATH at 2:25am.
3) ORD-ATH 788 - Typically try to avoid due to the seat rocking issues.
4) PHL-ATH 330 - Decent seat but lengthy domestic leg on a LUS 321 and early departure time would make it difficult to sleep.

Assuming the price is equal, which would you choose? We will be coming back CHQ-HEL-LAX on AY and get to try their new A350.

None of those are TPAC.

Are you paying $$$ or points/miles? That would factor in to my decision because of the BA flight.

JJeffrey Jan 6, 2019 10:19 am

I'd go for LAX-ORD-ATH and try to get a non-connected seat on the 788.

IADCAflyer Jan 6, 2019 10:45 am

I'm looking at options for LAX-ATH in J for late August 2019. Here's the options I've found for the TPAC leg:

4) PHL-ATH 330 - Decent seat but lengthy domestic leg on a LUS 321 and early departure time would make it difficult to sleep.

Those aren't TPAC routings. Those are TATL routings. Neither CX nor JL fly to ATH. Going TPAC, you'd have to double connect: something like LAX-HKG-DOH-ATH.

JDiver Jan 6, 2019 11:26 am

We’ve changed the thread title to reflect your flight choices. Moderator

thunderlounge Jan 6, 2019 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30617768)
I'd go for LAX-ORD-ATH and try to get a non-connected seat on the 788.

Only options for non-connected seats on the 788 now will be 1D/H. Everything else will be connected as the mini-cabin goes away.

The 788 isn't a bad ride, but if you're a bigger framed person (I'm 6'2", with broad shoulders) then the 788 seat can be a tick confining. It's not bad, and overall good, but there are certainly better options.

My first consideration going east is sleep time. Leaving out of PHL/JFK/CLT etc with an arrival or connection in the western EU or UK is something I try to avoid if possible. By the time you get airborne and dinner service is over, you're left with maybe 3-4 hours if you're lucky. Not enough for me. Even ORD is a bit short for me.

I'll take a connection east from DFW or even backtrack if available and it makes sense. Flights out of MIA aren't bad either, as they fly north and then east along similar routes as the rest.

I wouldn't rule out the BA flight, with the right seat. Especially if you can select a seat without additional fee. It's not as bad as many make it out to be, but it's not the 77W for sure.

Could you do an overnight connection (keeping it under 24hrs) at LHR and then on to ATH the following day? If so, the 77W option would be my first choice. If not then the BA flight would be my first look, given a good seat was available.

If an overnight is available with option 2: 2, 1, 3, 4
No overnight: 1, 3, 2, 4.

Sleep time going east is important. You want to be able to have a good rest, and be ready to roll on arrival. Much better than fighting lag for a couple days.

beachfan Jan 6, 2019 12:35 pm

To me, the issue isn’t the arrival time, it’s the length of the layover. Is that the only connection or the only one with award availability?

Id lean heavily on the 77w, with perhaps an overnight layover as sugfested. Laz-ord is a long flight in a crap F seat.

if availability is the reason for the layover then you might be able to change it later.

flying_geek Jan 6, 2019 12:39 pm

Is this a revenue flight? SWU to get from J->F for a better sleep on the AA flight?

dciolli Jan 6, 2019 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30617990)
We’ve changed the thread title to reflect your flight choices. Moderator

Thanks for fixing! Definitely meant TATL.

econometrics Jan 6, 2019 12:41 pm

I would take the LAX-LHR on the BA 747, since you have't flown it. Grab 62A/K in the upper deck before these birds are retired in a couple years. It's a memorable experience, akin to a feeling of flying on your own private jet.

CW on the upper deck is easily as good as the 788 Zodiac product that AA flies on the 788s, and connecting T5/T5 at Heathrow isn't very painful.

USFlyerUS Jan 6, 2019 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 30618273)
I would take the LAX-LHR on the BA 747, since you have't flown it. Grab 62A/K in the upper deck before these birds are retired in a couple years. It's a memorable experience, akin to a feeling of flying on your own private jet.

CW on the upper deck is easily as good as the 788 Zodiac product that AA flies on the 788s, and connecting T5/T5 at Heathrow isn't very painful.

I second this. I flew BA CW 747 upper deck twice in the last week. Grabbed 62A on both flights. I was very pleased with the seat, service and overall cabin experience.

dciolli Jan 6, 2019 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 30618241)
To me, the issue isn’t the arrival time, it’s the length of the layover. Is that the only connection or the only one with award availability?

Id lean heavily on the 77w, with perhaps an overnight layover as sugfested. Laz-ord is a long flight in a crap F seat.

if availability is the reason for the layover then you might be able to change it later.

The earlier AA 77W flight lands at LHR at 12:05pm. Currently, BA schedule currently shows 1:15pm (not a legal connection) or 8:50pm departures to ATH. Even taking the later AA flight would arrive in LHR at 2:25pm, which would result in a 6.5 hour layover.

dciolli Jan 6, 2019 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by flying_geek (Post 30618256)
Is this a revenue flight? SWU to get from J->F for a better sleep on the AA flight?

Yes, revenue flight. I have 2 SWUs left, so using them to go to F might be a good idea.

dciolli Jan 6, 2019 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS (Post 30618289)
I second this. I flew BA CW 747 upper deck twice in the last week. Grabbed 62A on both flights. I was very pleased with the seat, service and overall cabin experience.

Thanks for the advice. Based on the responses, we will route through LHR. If we go the AA 77W, I will request SWUs to upgrade to F. If we go on the BA 747, we will grab two seats upstairs.

ijgordon Jan 6, 2019 2:55 pm

What is BA flying to ATH these days? If it’s typical Club Europe Coach, then I’d probably rather do LAX-ORD in AA F than BA J on LHR-ATH, which is nearly as long.

But I also wouldn’t shy away from a BA 747 on the upper deck, even if you have to pay for the seat assignment.