Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Need Advice: transatlantic Flight LAX-ATH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Advice: transatlantic Flight LAX-ATH

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I'd go for LAX-ORD-ATH and try to get a non-connected seat on the 788.
+1.

Try last row windows. I believe those 2 seats (5A & 5L) are free standing
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:58 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
What is BA flying to ATH these days? If it’s typical Club Europe Coach, then I’d probably rather do LAX-ORD in AA F than BA J on LHR-ATH, which is nearly as long.

But I also wouldn’t shy away from a BA 747 on the upper deck, even if you have to pay for the seat assignment.

Unless they swap in other equipment, random spot checks in August suggest it's standard Club Europe. That's a long time in their Club Europe seats and while the service is usually pretty decent I'd definitely opt for LAX-ORD-ATH. A slightly jerky seat beats 4 hours in 31-inch pitch Club Europe. Depending on your travel dates you might be able to route on AY to HEL, then try to redeem on Aegean for HEL-ATH (Star Alliance). Some days show a nice 90-minute connection and Helsinki is a breeze. Aegean has really nice service even though it's also a Euro-style (blocked middle seat).
SK and dciolli like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I’m a bit of an avgeek, having flown seven decades and experiencing an amazing diversity of aircraft. Thank

I think the LAX-LHR 747 SUD (stretched upper deck) - 62AB or JK (OP is Emerald, no booking fee) is hard to beat, and 64 ditto (AB preferred over JK because of the lav, but I use sound blocking ear buds or plugs - and those rear facing seats at an aft bulkhead allow aisle access without climbing over a seatmate) are nice for a couple (62A or K for a solo flyer). Cozy, quiet cabin with better service, and going, going, gone with the “dump the bump” course the airlines are taking. In a few years, it will be legendary.

The Club Europe seating in the A320 family isn’t a joy, but we generally secure bulkhead seats (I’m 6’4” / 193 cm, so the 30” pitch is g‘awful for me) is bearable LON-ATH or LON-IST (we’ve done these a number of times).

If not, the A330 or stable seat in a 788 nonstop would be my choice. AA domestic F is shrinking the pitch etc. but it beats the slats off of narrowbody CE with a middle seat blocked.
dciolli likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
I’m a bit of an avgeek, having flown seven decades and experiencing an amazing diversity of aircraft. Thank

I think the LAX-LHR 747 SUD (stretched upper deck) - 62AB or JK (OP is Emerald, no booking fee) is hard to beat, and 64 ditto (AB preferred over JK because of the lav, but I use sound blocking ear buds or plugs - and those rear facing seats at an aft bulkhead allow aisle access without climbing over a seatmate) are nice for a couple (62A or K for a solo flyer). Cozy, quiet cabin with better service, and going, going, gone with the “dump the bump” course the airlines are taking. In a few years, it will be legendary.

The Club Europe seating in the A320 family isn’t a joy, but we generally secure bulkhead seats (I’m 6’4” / 193 cm, so the 30” pitch is g‘awful for me) is bearable LON-ATH or LON-IST (we’ve done these a number of times).

If not, the A330 or stable seat in a 788 nonstop would be my choice. AA domestic F is shrinking the pitch etc. but it beats the slats off of narrowbody CE with a middle seat blocked.
Appreciate the insight. Being an avgeek too, I would love to fly the 747 at least once upstairs, so this seems like a good excuse.

For row 62 A/B, would the person in 61A have to step over the person in 62B to get out?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dciolli
Appreciate the insight. Being an avgeek too, I would love to fly the 747 at least once upstairs, so this seems like a good excuse.

For row 62 A/B, would the person in 61A have to step over the person in 62B to get out?
It really is a great ride! I did it as part of a run when I returned from the SIN Do last year (SIN-HEL-LHR-JFK).

No, 61A would hop over 61B to get out. 62A is a great seat--you have your own private entry, via the exit row. That's where I sat and really liked it. We had 2 FA's just for the upstairs cabin. There were 3 lavs, and I don't ever remember having to wait to use one. It was rear-facing (backwards). The only time I really noticed was just as we were landing. I was looking out the window and thought to myself, "why is that cloud moving backwards?"
The IFE wasn't as nice as AY's A350, but it was fine. I ended up sleeping much of the time. I thought BA's food was pretty good, and the service was great.
My roller bag seemed a bit big for the overhead, but the FA's seemed ready for me, and stored it in a closet.
JDiver and dciolli like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 8, 2019 at 12:29 pm
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
What is the problem with arriving in Athens at 2:25 AM? Less traffic
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:35 pm

If there was more than the current 7 minutes scheduled connecting time, you could take the 8:05AM LAX-PHL A330, then the A330 to ATH. If interested in this routing, I'd ask reservations to check if either of these times change closer to your departure date.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would take option 3 or option 4

For LHR-ATH , you will have a 4 hour flight in economy class sold as business - just that the middle seat will be empty - with a 31" pitch

take ORD/PHL-ATH and you will have a decent seat for the entre journey

Definitely would bypass BA Club Europe
dciolli likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
What is the problem with arriving in Athens at 2:25 AM? Less traffic
No public transportation options into the city and a more expensive flat rate taxi (fare goes up from midnight - 5am),
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
so it seems like yes, 61a has to step over 62b if I’m reading the chart correctly.

Thanks to the contributors on this thread, in my recommendation I forgot how long LHR-ATH is.
dciolli likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
Have you not considered Turkish Air. Good food and a short hop to ATH from IST
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:05 am
SK

The X95 express bus from the airport to the city runs all night (and so do some of the other express buses from the airport). https://www.athensairportbus.com/en/...sdowntown.html

Originally Posted by dcmike
No public transportation options into the city and a more expensive flat rate taxi (fare goes up from midnight - 5am),
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dcmike
X93, X95, X96, stopped running?AIRPORT ATHENS (TERMA)

X96 AEROL. ATHENS EXPRESS - PIRAEUS
56 min. ( 16 stops) ; Station Identifier: 440101
3:25 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I'm looking at options for LAX-ATH in J for late August 2019. Here's the options I've found for the TATL leg:

1) LAX-LHR BA 747 - Good connection options and can fly the 747 for the first time, but Club World isn't great.
2) LAX-LHR AA 77W - Best seat but only one connection option that would arrive in ATH at 2:25am.
3) ORD-ATH AA 788 - Typically try to avoid due to the seat rocking issues.
4) PHL-ATH AA 330 - Decent seat but lengthy domestic leg on a LUS 321 and early departure time would make it difficult to sleep.

Assuming the price is equal, which would you choose? We will be coming back CHQ-HEL-LAX on AY and get to try their new A350.
i would do BA option, either 747 or 380, opt for Ud seat on either if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.